: Squeaky Noise

darthcaddy
06-17-07, 12:38 AM
There is a squeaky noise located in the belt area of the engine. The noise starts at the initial startup and last for about 10-20 minutes then goes away. I took it in for service, but they could not find what's causing it. It's strange that the noise started after I picked up my ESV to have the tire pressure sensor replaced.

Levand16
06-17-07, 12:19 PM
My 02 did that also, at first dealer couldn't find the problem but they finally replaced the belt and that fixed it. But now it is coming back. So I'm not sure what it was!

Rolex
06-17-07, 10:36 PM
My 03 used to squawk, worse after I parked it outside overnight...especially after a rain. I also had a 99 Z71 that did the exact same thing. Whatever the cause, it was a benign thing and minor annoyance. It does go away after several minutes of the engine running.

FWIW I attributed the problem to moisture. If I parked in my garage I wouldn't hear the noise. I assumed it was excess moisture that effected something in the pulley/drive system. There was a thread about the exact same thing not too long ago.

That's my 2 cents.

darthcaddy
06-18-07, 08:23 PM
My 03 used to squawk, worse after I parked it outside overnight...especially after a rain. I also had a 99 Z71 that did the exact same thing. Whatever the cause, it was a benign thing and minor annoyance. It does go away after several minutes of the engine running.

FWIW I attributed the problem to moisture. If I parked in my garage I wouldn't hear the noise. I assumed it was excess moisture that effected something in the pulley/drive system. There was a thread about the exact same thing not too long ago.

That's my 2 cents.

I park my ESV in an underground garage, but it has been getting humid in NYC lately. :confused:

cadillac_tech
06-20-07, 12:32 AM
I've been waiting to see if you found a cure.
Check the pulley alignment. I have seen PS pulleys (guilty myself) not fully installed because they get REAL tight near the end of travel. An out of alignment PS pulley will cause a belt squeal.

darthcaddy
11-13-07, 02:45 PM
The squeaky noise started to get very annoying (very loud) last month so I brought it in to another service station. He replaced the serp belts and idler pulley, and lube the tensioner.

The noise was gone, but a week after the squeak started again on initial startups and then fades away after 5 to 10 minutes. It continues to squeak when I accelerate past 1500rpms to 2000rpms. :banghead:

I brought it back and he re-checked the problem. He couldn't find anything wrong with the belts and pulleys, but the chirp/squeak noise (when accelerating) is now coming from the alternator or water pump.

Anyone have problems with the alternator or water pump causing a squeak/chirp noise?

hcvone
11-13-07, 03:27 PM
It sounds like the tensioner is going, had one go on my Z06 and it was very loud. :)

CaddyEscalade
05-18-11, 01:25 AM
Mine did this and it ended up being the clutch fan.