: N* teardown for successful timing on assembly

jcarson
06-16-07, 08:46 PM
This is my first post. I have a 97 Deville D'Elegence with 4.6 N*. I am in the process of dropping the cradle for Head Gasket redo. I see plenty of threads about timing on reassembly, but nothing on what steps can I take on teardow to set myself up for success ( and minimal headache ) in getting the timing right on reassembly? Plan to use the inserts from the guy on ebay. Engine has 70,000 so hoping for much more use after head gaskets are replaced. Thanks,

white97deville
06-17-07, 10:33 AM
get all the timing marks inline. Then mark them and your flywheel position in a place that you can see easily with a Sharpie. On reassembly check & recheck very carefully several times. The Nstar is an interference engine so if you get timing off pistons will smack valves.

bigworm84
06-18-07, 03:51 PM
You definetly need to be careful with timing...i'd suggest instead of any sharpie markers is that you line up factory markings...crank shaft lined up with intermediate shaft and cam pins perpendicular to the head...ie 90 degrees. I have done few times and never had the timing off.

Submariner409
06-18-07, 05:11 PM
Do it by the FSM. Don't quote me, but I believe that, starting from a #1 cylinder TDC firing position, it takes 17 full revolutions before everything is back where you started. The possibilities for a tragic mistake are very real.....

white97deville
06-19-07, 12:20 AM
You definetly need to be careful with timing...i'd suggest instead of any sharpie markers is that you line up factory markings...crank shaft lined up with intermediate shaft and cam pins perpendicular to the head...ie 90 degrees. I have done few times and never had the timing off.

My first sentence says line up all timing marks. It will help to also make marks on your flywheel when it is in this position. If you know exactly where you have started from it is much easier to get back into exactly the same position. And I have also done this and got the timing right.