: Mod My V & Newbie Questions

]<ing
06-16-07, 05:39 AM
Newbie here. Directed from LS1Tech by some of the V guys over there. Great boards - both of them.

I'm considering 2 Vs in my area:

1) Procharged, headers, corsa, Intake, Eibachs.
2) Bone stock.

In the event that I get the stock car, what are the essential mods that need to be done in order of importance? If I were to have - say, 3K to put into it right off the bat, what would YOU use that money for.

CAGS (still not sure what that is to be honest)? Wheel hop kit? Exhaust? Headers? Tune? How much should I expect to spend on each item? What would be the expected gains.

Also, is anyone aware of a reputable Tuner near Huntsville AL?

rand49er
06-16-07, 06:38 AM
If that procharged car is in good shape and the difference in cost is not that much, that might be the way to go. What differential does it have?

If you go with the stock car and put $3k into it, I'd do shifter (B&M <$200 or UUC ~$400), exhaust (Corsa is ~$1.1k), tune (StealthV $400), and headers (Kooks is <$1k; adding hi/flo cats for ~$600 would put you over).

The CAGS is computer aided gear selection and, if shifting normally, with force you from 1st to 4th gear ... VERY annoying. The tune will eliminate that at no extra cost.

That doesn't address all of your questions, but that's my $0.02.

Good luck!

]<ing
06-16-07, 08:04 AM
If that procharged car is in good shape and the difference in cost is not that much, that might be the way to go. What differential does it have?

If you go with the stock car and put $3k into it, I'd do shifter (B&M <$200 or UUC ~$400), exhaust (Corsa is ~$1.1k), tune (StealthV $400), and headers (Kooks is <$1k; adding hi/flo cats for ~$600 would put you over).

The CAGS is computer aided gear selection and, if shifting normally, with force you from 1st to 4th gear ... VERY annoying. The tune will eliminate that at no extra cost.

That doesn't address all of your questions, but that's my $0.02.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input. Why the Corsa exhaust over the other manufacturers?

The Procharged V has an 06 diff.

rand49er
06-16-07, 11:45 AM
<ing;1116062']... Why the Corsa exhaust over the other manufacturers? ....No reason, really. The others are B&B, Magnaflow, Borla, Zoomers, ... umm-m, I guess that's it. I believe Corsa and B&B are a bit more expensive than the others with Corsa the most quiet and B&B the loudest ... everything else is inbetween.

That Procharger may just tear that dif up if you're not careful. But, that doesn't mean you shouldn't have a little fun with it! :thumbsup:

HushH
06-16-07, 12:01 PM
Welcome. There's another member here (dqw1) from Huntsville. Sounds like you guys have a fairly mod-friendly dealer there. Congrats on that.

I'd go with the procharged V if it checks out OK. You should save a LOT of money over doing all those mods yourself.

As far as tuners, I'd make the drive to Atlanta for Vengeance every time. They are great guys to deal with and really know their stuff. They'll definitely take care of you.

dqw1
06-16-07, 02:03 PM
I have Kooks headers mated to a magnaflow exhuast I could let you hear.
Sending you a pm.

]<ing
06-16-07, 04:23 PM
No reason, really. The others are B&B, Magnaflow, Borla, Zoomers, ... umm-m, I guess that's it. I believe Corsa and B&B are a bit more expensive than the others with Corsa the most quiet and B&B the loudest ... everything else is inbetween.

That Procharger may just tear that dif up if you're not careful. But, that doesn't mean you shouldn't have a little fun with it! :thumbsup:

No proven HP gains with any one over another?

Yeah - I'm worried as hell about the Diff, but that's apparently the price you pay. The V is literally the only beastly 4dr 6spd on the market (not including ricers and getting into the M price range). From what I understand, the Procharger should be easier on the Diff than any of the other SC options.

Thanks again for the input bro.

]<ing
06-16-07, 04:27 PM
Welcome. There's another member here (dqw1) from Huntsville. Sounds like you guys have a fairly mod-friendly dealer there. Congrats on that.

I'd go with the procharged V if it checks out OK. You should save a LOT of money over doing all those mods yourself.

As far as tuners, I'd make the drive to Atlanta for Vengeance every time. They are great guys to deal with and really know their stuff. They'll definitely take care of you.

Thanks - that's actually the first I've heard of the dealer down here. I'm sure that can be the difference in a heaven/hell experience as far as this car goes.

I'm definitely leaning towards the Procharged car, but I've always been leary of buying modded vehicles - especially aftermarket FI. As long as it's legit (compresion test/etc come back good) I'll jump on it.

If I make it to Vengenece, you want me to tell them who sent me?

]<ing
06-16-07, 04:29 PM
I have Kooks headers mated to a magnaflow exhuast I could let you hear.
Sending you a pm.

I'll hit you up sometime man. What area of Madison? I'm off Nick Davis - just west of Wall Triana.

You ever meet up with the other V guys in town?

dqw1
06-16-07, 04:55 PM
I live just off 72 & Countyline rd, Stone Crest sub-division.
I've only met one owner. This guy pulled off the trifecta: XLR-V, STS-V and CTS-V. He lives in New Hope.

]<ing
06-16-07, 05:51 PM
This guy pulled off the trifecta: XLR-V, STS-V and CTS-V.

:worship: