: Ran the V last night...120.22 MPH with bad clutch

spdracer77
06-15-07, 10:19 PM
What's up fellas? I ran my car last night at the track in bradenton, fl.
My first run 13.2 @105MPH...third gear got stuck. It would not shift into fourth. Clutch was burning badly. I did a second run, I ran 13.4 @116 mph. I tried to shift the car gentle...second gear got stuck but i got out quickly and manage to shift into third and 4th.BTW I was shifting between 5600-6000rpm due to bad clutch. I know I should not run the car down the strip with a bad clutch but I drove 2 hour to get to this track. I want to make my worth wild even if takes destroying the clutch. So I did a third run I ran 13.10 at 118.79 MPH...no gears got stuck this time but i was shifting genlte and early. Now I was getting excited with my MPH. Now the track is about to close and I manage to get a 4th run in. I managed to shift the car about 5900-6100 rpms on each gear. I ran 12.93 @120.22 MPH. WOW! to see that kind of MHP with a bad clutch... that made my night at the track worth wild. Thats a low 11 second with that MPH. All my lauches was very soft I launch the car between 1500-1700 rpm due to the crapy rear end these cars come with. I know I'm losing at least 1.5 seconds on launching the car.
For those who do not know my car. Its a 2004 CTS-V. Mods...kooks long tubes, highflow cats, magna flow exhaust, k&n induction, fast 90 intake, ported ls2 90mm tb, custom grind cam, 918 springs, light weight retainers, 125 shot NOS, walbro 255 fuel pump 530 rwhp 539ftlb tq.
coming soon.. I just order a set of dart 225 heads ported and coated. My goals 600rwhp. I figure with these heads and i up the shot to 150. I should be there or very close to it.
I also need a new clutch. I'm thinking about the RPS clutch. Any suggestions? I know with the set up i have now with a good clutch a would be trapping at 122 or 123 MPH. I'm hoping with the heads, new clutch and the extra 25 shot to trap at 126 + MPH in the 1/4 mile.

CVP33
06-15-07, 10:22 PM
Awesome run man! I'm hitting 13.1's but I don't have near the trap speeds you're hitting. Protecting that rear diff is no easy task with that kind of HP. Are you on your original? Again, awesome run!

04CTSVFLA
06-15-07, 10:29 PM
ur better off investing in a new rear and some slicks....instead of the heads....Id put money on it that youd be faster doing that then adding heads....obviously your not cutting 60 foots.....with the right suspesnion setup/a madman or similar rear and axles etc and some sticky ass drag radials or slicks and your 11's are golden.

Venomous-V
06-15-07, 10:33 PM
clutch: textrailia, spec3

CVP33
06-15-07, 10:45 PM
ur better off investing in a new rear and some slicks....instead of the heads....Id put money on it that youd be faster doing that then adding heads....obviously your not cutting 60 foots.....with the right suspesnion setup/a madman or similar rear and axles etc and some sticky ass drag radials or slicks and your 11's are golden.

The problem is he needs a new clutch. This is the time to upgrade. I shudder to think what will happen to that rear diff' behind 500+ HP.

stkshkr
06-15-07, 10:55 PM
TEXTRALIA !!!!!!!!! Great street and race clutch. Nice numbers BTW

CIWS
06-16-07, 07:48 AM
Nice going spdracer77, look at the clutch stkshkr is recommending.

Sorry CVP33 has to shit in your thread.

spdracer77
06-16-07, 10:58 AM
Awesome run man! I'm hitting 13.1's but I don't have near the trap speeds you're hitting. Protecting that rear diff is no easy task with that kind of HP. Are you on your original? Again, awesome run!

Yes, I still have the original rear diff...

The Tony Show
06-16-07, 11:07 AM
Don't wheelhop the car and your diff should hold up fine. Wheelhop is what kills a diff, not horsepower.

Great numbers, but you're braver (crazier?) than me- I could never run my car hard while wounded.

spdracer77
06-16-07, 11:22 AM

I hardly ever drag the car. I only go to the track to see my MPH. I mostly roll race. I'll do the rear and axles after blow out the buttom end of the motor. That's when the forge 383 stroker comes in. I would easily get 800+ rwhp out that set up. Until then I'll have fun with the set up I have now. What I love the most about CTS-V is the shock on people faces when I beat them.:eek: "a Cadillac it can't be"

CTSV05
06-16-07, 11:46 AM
I love the "wheel hop is the only killer of these rears" thoughts.

Nice numbers, and I agree, your ets will drop significantly being able to drive the car.

As for your needs tho, its about what you enjoy, just be safe.

The Tony Show
06-16-07, 11:53 AM
I love the "wheel hop is the only killer of these rears" thoughts.

It's the truth. I've had my rear replaced twice, but only for noise. A slight deflection under load isn't going to rip a case in half- only sudden, violent impact will do that (aka: wheel hop). Sorry to everyone who's said it, but I don't buy the "I was just slowly driving along, shifted from 3 to 4 and my diff exploded" stories. Hey- I'd tell my Service department the same thing if it happened to me. In the unlikely event it does happen under light driving, it's because it's been weakened by hop already.

I'll be the first to agree that the rear diff is underrated for this application, but the magically exploding diff ranks up there with Santa Claus and the easter bunny.

z06bigbird
06-16-07, 01:32 PM
Yes, I still have the original rear diff...

Famous last words!!

LOL

bossplayer
06-16-07, 05:24 PM
I hardly ever drag the car. I only go to the track to see my MPH. I mostly roll race. I'll do the rear and axles after blow out the buttom end of the motor. That's when the forge 383 stroker comes in. I would easily get 800+ rwhp out that set up. Until then I'll have fun with the set up I have now. What I love the most about CTS-V is the shock on people faces when I beat them.:eek: "a Cadillac it can't be"

Heh, heh, I love that too.... 'a Caddy it can't be!'

Still eating mustang GT's here, it is like no one else knows what my car is....

04CTSVFLA
06-16-07, 06:13 PM
thats because you live in kansas my friend.

CTSV05
06-16-07, 11:26 PM
Well, Mine exploded on the starting line, no hop, hell, I moved maybe 12" and the case split in half!

Sooooooo My friend......I beg the differ with you.

All stock, good tires about 3000 rpm clutch slipping leave.

Suicycle
06-17-07, 03:01 PM
Got any pictures of your timeslips? What were your 60's? What are the specs on your cam?