: How bad am I getting screwed?

Sorceress Sarah
06-15-07, 12:17 PM
2001 SLS, 6 months out of warranty, 72k miles.
Ok, so I got the infamous TCC solenoid thing. Dealer says, "we can fix, but only 12/12 warranty. Replace with new transmission and get 3/100k warranty." Now I find out it's a "remanufactured" trans, for $4100. Took 'em two weeks to get the damned thing. Now they say the trans cooler fails flow check, so that's another $739, but why do they say I need 2 lbs FREON to fix the trans cooler???

AJxtcman
06-15-07, 12:32 PM
Some Cadillac dealers do not repair Transmission unless they are made to. Your repair would have been cheaper and would not have failed again if it was repaired with all the updated parts!!!! You got talked into a trans. No big deal it is probably for the best since they did not want to fix it. GM will not warranty the trans unless the cooler passes the test. You may want to ask them if they have done a self test on the machine. The flow checking machine has a known problem with the flow meter. The operation manual shows how to run a self test. Our machine fails the test most of the time.
If this is the case you do not need a cooler!
If they replace the cooler it will still fail. I know because I have done it.

Sorceress Sarah
06-15-07, 01:25 PM
Is there some documentation on this failure mode of the flow test machine? It's sounding like I never needed the cooler in the first place.

AJxtcman
06-15-07, 01:32 PM
It is in the operating manual of the machine.

Sorceress Sarah
06-15-07, 01:55 PM
OK it's in the manual. Why do they want to charge me for freon?

Thanks for your help.

thu
06-15-07, 02:07 PM
Sarah,

Are you SURE they said "freon"? Freon has *nothing* to do with the tranny or the tranny cooler.

codewize
06-15-07, 02:45 PM
When my DTS was in the trans shop I had them quote me a new trans because it was getting into so much labor with all the parts that got replaced. They quoted me new from GM $3400 + labor.

And that's correct. Freon has nothing to do with the trans, the cooler or any of that.

Sorceress Sarah
06-15-07, 02:47 PM
Sarah,

Are you SURE they said "freon"? Freon has *nothing* to do with the tranny or the tranny cooler.

They said I needed a new trans cooler 'cuz it failed flow test AND 2 lbs of freon.

eldorado1
06-15-07, 04:22 PM
maybe they had to disconnect the AC lines?

Although, they should have a recovery system.

thu
06-16-07, 12:51 AM
Regarding what they said about giving you a "new" transmission, is that in writing? If they gave you a rebuilt tranny, you're entitled to a NEW tranny.

Also, verify that the warranty is 3/100 in WRITING, too.

As for the freon issue, ask them why it needs 2# of freon. Did they have to disconnect the Airconditioning lines?

fubar569
06-16-07, 10:09 AM
Regarding what they said about giving you a "new" transmission, is that in writing? If they gave you a rebuilt tranny, you're entitled to a NEW tranny.

Also, verify that the warranty is 3/100 in WRITING, too.

As for the freon issue, ask them why it needs 2# of freon. Did they have to disconnect the Airconditioning lines?

if they removed the radiator...which in 90% of all vehicles has the trans cooler built in, then yes...she would need freon...reason being is they probably also removed the ac condenser with it...

personally, i think she got boned with a 4x4 and they made sure to splinter the board before insertion...

danbuc
06-16-07, 05:18 PM
The transmission cooling circuit runs through the left side tank of the radiator. The radiator can be removed from the vehicle without removing or disconnecting the condenser....I know this, because I didn't have to when I replaced the radiator myself. It's a complete pain in the ass though, which is why they are charging you you for the freon, and labor to remove the condenser. New radiators are about $350 at the dealer. Flat rate time to R&R it is around 2 hours or so (generous). So price for radiator R&R comes to about $700 and change after taxes, hazmat, ect.