Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What is the recommended fluid type for 02-06 Transmissions?

15K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  GM-4-LIFE 
#1 ·
Thinking about having my trans fluid changed this weekend (not flushed) and there are several places Im considering taking it to. My main concern is just whether its a standard Mercon/Dexron type thing, or whether its "special" fluid like the stuff in the Transfer case. If it is, Ill have to take it to the dealership or buy the fluid and take it somewhere.

#2 ·
I believe the recommended fluid is Class "V" Mercon. I haven't changed the fluid in my '05 yet, but I always used synthetic tranny fluid in my '00. I used Red Line, Mobil1, and Valvoline. The synthetic will offer much grater temperature resistance than standard tranny fluid and extended drain intervals. The synthetic costs more, but is cheap insurance. I'm sure that others on the forum have favorite brands, but where I live the selection isn't always the best.

#6 ·
Up to '06 uses Dexron III/Mercon compatible fluid.

GM is using a new Dexron VI that is backwards compatible in the '07 and up 6L80. (Escalade, Corvette, STS-V and XLR-V)
Do not, for the love of Pete, use Dex III in one of those trannies or you'll be in big trouble!
I think they are using Dex VI in other transmissions too, but the one above I am 100% sure of.

#8 ·
According to GM, the Dexron VI is the fluid to use and it is compatible with the Dexron III and can be used in all GM trannies old and new. Go with either the Dexron VI (if you want to stick with the factory fluid as it isn't that bad), Mobil 1 ATF, Amsoil, etc. If you do go fully synthetic like with the Mobil 1 or Amsoil, make sure to go a complete flush and not just a drain and re-fill or you won't have a true synthetic fill.

SG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.