: I blew my rear!!

vseries
06-15-07, 11:23 AM
I wonder how many posts have this title .Pulled out of work yesterday and shifted second at about 5k and it sounded like a shotgun blast , Coasted over to the side of the road and it was spewing gear fluid all over.It sounds as if it broke the pinion gear inside the rear but luckily the driveshaft didnt fall out. Ill keep yalll posted

cobrayankee
06-15-07, 11:25 AM
Heard the same thing about 10 minutes ago on my way home! That's why I got on here so I could research some stuff. It was not only a loud bang, but I physically felt it (or I think I did). But it drives fine. I hope it didn't do any major damage. I was totally expecting to be sitting on the side of the road right now.

NOPISTONS
06-15-07, 02:18 PM
Sounds like it popped out of gear had that happen to me must of put it in gear half way.

vseries
06-15-07, 03:10 PM
I skimmed through the sticky about the nhsta stuff but I found it difficult to find out if there replacing the units with "better" or newer versions of it? Does anyone know?

LV_V
06-15-07, 03:22 PM
The replacement units are supposedly beefed up for '06, but not by much at all. At least they will usually replace the diff without hassle. I am on #6, probably getting a new one soon... Good luck... It seems that some people have no problems and others have multiple problems. Sucks for such an awesome car that Cadillac can't get their shit together.

CVP33
06-15-07, 04:43 PM
There is NO problem with the CTS-V:

Rear Differentials
Radiators
NAV Buttons
Center Consoles
Sail Panels
Parking Brakes
Rear Bushings
Transmissions
Slave Cylinders
Clutches

You ALL are abusive drivers.

CTSV05
06-15-07, 04:44 PM
You broke the case, the ring and pinions are not the problem really.

I'm on #2, I had the very first retrofit '06 diff installed, its lasted 40K mi., but is due to be replaced soon, and its been noisy since 400 mi.

I'm hoping lol, to have enuf cash soon to install My complete rear package soon, as I'll be out of warranty soon.

CTSV05
06-15-07, 04:45 PM
LMFAO!!!!!!

Rear Differentials
Radiators
NAV Buttons
Center Consoles
Sail Panels
Parking Brakes
Rear Bushings
Transmissions
Slave Cylinders
Clutches

lawfive
06-15-07, 05:10 PM
I blew my rear!!

Flexible!

LV_V
06-15-07, 05:33 PM
Consider yourself lucky; at least it wasn't someone else's rear that you blew.

CVP33
06-15-07, 08:36 PM
I blew 6 rear diffs. One at below 15mph just pulling out of my driveway. Let us know if the dealer gives you any grief. I haven't kept up with the failures but I believe the 2006 units are less prone to catastrophic failure, but still have the whining issue.

Drago
06-15-07, 08:43 PM
What are the chances that the '09 V rear will fit into our car? As best I can tell both are built on the sigma chassis so maybe we can get lucky. My original '05 diff is still going after 33K but I am concerned long term.

Florian
06-15-07, 08:47 PM
almost 6 years into the project and GM still cant keep shit together....too funny. Doug, Ill see you Wednesday to pick up my Traction Package V!!!!!

F

stkshkr
06-16-07, 12:32 AM
F
when you get there you'll see mine getting an adjustment to the rear :) :) :)

CaddyMomma05
08-16-07, 06:56 PM
I wonder how many posts have this title .Pulled out of work yesterday and shifted second at about 5k and it sounded like a shotgun blast , Coasted over to the side of the road and it was spewing gear fluid all over.It sounds as if it broke the pinion gear inside the rear but luckily the driveshaft didnt fall out. Ill keep yalll posted

What happened with this? My same thing happened to me Sunday, dealer is refusing to fix it, and I bought the extended warranty.

Cadillac Tony
08-16-07, 07:05 PM
Even though this is a well documented problem with these cars, some Dealers can't seem to grasp the elusive concept known as "Customer Service".

If a polite reminder that the rear differential is covered by the Warranty doesn't get it done, ask to be put in touch with the Area Service Rep. or call Cadillac Customer Care at 1-800-458-8006.

bossplayer
08-16-07, 07:08 PM
What happened with this? My same thing happened to me Sunday, dealer is refusing to fix it, and I bought the extended warranty.

Your brother in law knows what to do, he posted here a few hours ago.

The dealer you went to is an ass. He needs to be complained about.

In the mean time you can take it somewhere else and they should fix it, as it is FULLY covered in the warranty.

darkman
08-16-07, 07:11 PM

Another known issue for CTS-V owners is the existence of Defective Dealerships, which must be either "tuned up" through an appeal to GM, or "replaced."

Mystical_Ice
08-16-07, 07:36 PM
what i find amazingi s that some of you have gone through 6 differentials, and are still driving the car.

i mean; i'd give 2, maybe 3 differentials, but after that i'd get rid of the car.

my long-suffering only goes so far

z06bigbird
08-16-07, 08:00 PM

Rear Differentials
Radiators
NAV Buttons
Center Consoles
Sail Panels
Parking Brakes
Rear Bushings
Transmissions
Slave Cylinders
Clutches

I was watching someone abuse his nav buttons and his sail panels just the other day--all at the same time too.

LOL

dwight.j.carter
08-16-07, 08:05 PM
I read somewhere that the 09 V will have the same diff that is in the new camaro. And you V drivers will love this GM redisigned the rear end for the camaro because of all the recalls they would have had they originally where going to use the same diff that is in your cts-Vs

vseries
08-16-07, 11:43 PM

Turns out like some of you said the case was cracked in 3 spots , It was covered under warranty and replaced with an updated unit which is supposedly a stronger unit.

lasstss
08-16-07, 11:47 PM
I skimmed through the sticky about the nhsta stuff but I found it difficult to find out if there replacing the units with "better" or newer versions of it? Does anyone know?

They put more rib stiffeners in the case..a worthless exercise..

Wheelman322
11-14-07, 07:23 PM
Consider yourself lucky; at least it wasn't someone else's rear that you blew.

Or the tranny...Thank God you didn't blow the tranny.:eek: These are the posts that keeps my driveway V-less for the moment.

JonCR96Z
11-14-07, 07:28 PM
I'm hoping lol, to have enuf cash soon to install My complete rear package soon, as I'll be out of warranty soon.

It must really suck when you don't have the cash to buy your own stuff:Danielle:

Jon
11-14-07, 07:43 PM
I'm still on my first diff. And I REALLY hope it doesn't ever blow.

rlj5
11-14-07, 11:08 PM
on my 3rd , But my 3rd is a '04 cobra 8.8 31 spline diff w/case reinforcing cradle & treated gears. "at least I don't have to wonder if they'll cover it under warranty" (tell the dealer you want one of these as a replacement)

Attached some pics, sometime I'll get some better ones when I have it on a lift.

JonCR96Z
11-14-07, 11:15 PM
Sure is ugly, but I guess one looks better than 2 (pieces that is)

csp3000
11-15-07, 12:02 AM
What are the chances that the '09 V rear will fit into our car? As best I can tell both are built on the sigma chassis so maybe we can get lucky. My original '05 diff is still going after 33K but I am concerned long term.

Has anyone ever figured out this question... Hey Tony you have a handle on this...???

JonCR96Z
11-15-07, 12:33 AM
Does Tony have the power to go into the future?

JonCR96Z
11-15-07, 12:35 AM
on my 3rd , But my 3rd is a '04 cobra 8.8 31 spline diff w/case reinforcing cradle & treated gears. "at least I don't have to wonder if they'll cover it under warranty" (tell the dealer you want one of these as a replacement)

Attached some pics, sometime I'll get some better ones when I have it on a lift.

Does the car run?

FIVEOH!!!
11-15-07, 12:52 AM

There actually a shop here in MD that claimed to have done the swap off a rear end of a Cobra to the V. Been looking into that myself.

rlj5
11-15-07, 06:28 AM
There actually a shop here in MD that claimed to have done the swap off a rear end of a Cobra to the V. Been looking into that myself.

A shop there is the one that did mine, But believe me you don't want to go there. Had my car for 4 months when it was supposed to be 2-3weeks, had to pick it up & have it finsihed elseware that after already paying for it 100% & a lot of other expenses along the way. No , you don't want to take it to the shop in Maryland. If you think you found someone that can do it, Ask them for some references on some they have already done, to my knowledge this guy is the only one that has done it & mine the only one he did, Well he started it just didn't finish.

Black Sunshine
11-15-07, 06:53 AM
Mine started to sqwauk a little during tight slow speed turns @ 40K. Took it to my GMC/Cadillac dealer. I was kinda disappointed fo find out the mechanic ordered up some internal "performance" parts from GM and rebuilt mine instead of installing the "upgraded" '06 rear. Never heard of anyone getting a rebuild but this guy is a master. I checked.

Not a single problem since and still pretty quiet.

csp3000
11-15-07, 09:16 AM
Does Tony have the power to go into the future?
Why yes he does but...:shhh: Well on a serious note he is one of the only people that I know that has seen the new V in person and I thought he might have some insight on this topic because if GM had any smarts at all they would try to make the new V's rear end be able to work in our cars.:yup:

Cadillac Tony
11-15-07, 10:46 AM
Has anyone ever figured out this question... Hey Tony you have a handle on this...???

The differential in the 2008 CTS (non-V) will not easily bolt up to our rear cradle, as all the attachment points are different AND it has a mount on the rear of it (presumably to keep the pinion angle consistent under load). See the attached pics. I have no idea if the new V will use the same part as the standard '08, but I would assume that the rear subframe will be carried over to the V (meaning the attachment points will be the same).

I haven't seen one opened up yet so I have no idea if the internals are different, but even if they were, transferring them would be pointless since the catastrophic failures are the case rupturing, not the internals.

The only REAL solution I see to make the current-gen CTS-V rear able to withstand drag launches (other than replacing it completely) is a cast-iron replica of our current case that we can swap the guts into. Luke at Lindsay Cadillac is working on this for us, so let's keep our fingers crossed that it's possible and resonably priced.

atdeneve
11-15-07, 11:08 AM
We'd still have wheelhop, even if our differential were fabricated with an iron casing.

What should be of interest to us is not whether the differential can be retrofitted, but rather, whether or not the cradle can be retrofitted. That is, if the next Gen V has indeed elimated the wheelhop. All remains to be seen. Unless, you've seen it?

propain
11-15-07, 11:20 AM
Heard the same thing about 10 minutes ago on my way home! That's why I got on here so I could research some stuff. It was not only a loud bang, but I physically felt it (or I think I did). But it drives fine. I hope it didn't do any major damage. I was totally expecting to be sitting on the side of the road right now.

Your mounts are probably on the way out. Motor, Tranny or both.

Time for another service call! :)

Cadillac Tony
11-15-07, 11:35 AM
We'd still have wheelhop, even if our differential were fabricated with an iron casing.

True, but at least the wheelhop would become simply an annoyance rather than a sign of impending destruction of the rear. Vipers and 911s both have bad axle tramp if you drag launch them- the difference is they don't rip the diff case in half when it happens.

RunningOnEMT
11-15-07, 11:43 AM
according to the kinsey report only .3% of men can blow their rear....

pretty impressive

but my diff is gone too, fealt like riding a rollercoaster last night, well that first hill at least, clunk clunk clunk clunk clink BANG griiiiiiiiiind catch n go!

Silver Dollar
11-15-07, 02:57 PM
I blew my rear!!

You must be very flexible!

csp3000
11-15-07, 03:01 PM
The differential in the 2008 CTS (non-V) will not easily bolt up to our rear cradle, as all the attachment points are different AND it has a mount on the rear of it (presumably to keep the pinion angle consistent under load). See the attached pics. I have no idea if the new V will use the same part as the standard '08, but I would assume that the rear subframe will be carried over to the V (meaning the attachment points will be the same).

I haven't seen one opened up yet so I have no idea if the internals are different, but even if they were, transferring them would be pointless since the catastrophic failures are the case rupturing, not the internals.

The only REAL solution I see to make the current-gen CTS-V rear able to withstand drag launches (other than replacing it completely) is a cast-iron replica of our current case that we can swap the guts into. Luke at Lindsay Cadillac is working on this for us, so let's keep our fingers crossed that it's possible and resonably priced.

Thanks Tony for the help...:)

onebadcad
11-15-07, 04:37 PM
You must be very flexible!

... or have a really short torso-------more points!!!