: Used Cadillacs & Sellers' Descriptions

Cadillac_Fan
06-14-07, 05:33 PM
After perusing a popular auction website in search of a '90-'92 Brougham, I find it hard to believe that so many are a) all elderly or one owner cars; b) seemingly always from Florida, California, Texas, Arizona, etc.; c) loaded with "every available option;" d) "factory-original paint."

Granted the demographic fits these cars as described; however, in many of the ads' photos, I see White Castle/fast food wrappers, hanging dice from the rearview mirror, Bazooka tubes, and Wal-Mart quality CD players hacked into the dash. Also, as far as "every option available," some have cloth seats and wheel covers, not true-spoked Cadillac wheels. The "original paint" story I always get a chuckle over, too, as from some photos, you can see where Cadillac/Brougham insiginia and emblems are missing or reapplied on the wrong area of the car.

Too many creative representations, it seems. I'm quite guarded about buying one if I cannot see it in person. I know they are old, used cars, but if the sellers would just be truthful and forthcoming, I could overlook the flaws and problems.

Just my observations. Anyone else pick up on things like this when looking at the used Cadillacs on *Bay?

Submariner409
06-14-07, 07:02 PM
:thumbsup: The Romans were correct in coining the phrase "Caveat emptor..."

Cadillac_Fan
06-14-07, 08:24 PM
:thumbsup: The Romans were correct in coining the phrase "Caveat emptor..."

Absolutley true! I don't think I'd ever buy one off the 'Bay if it wasn't in my general vicinity where I could travel and have a look at it.

Your screen name caught my attention, too. When I lived in Alexandria, VA, I had a friend who worked on specific projects with General Dynamics/Electric Boat in Groton, CT. Fascinating. I asked if the subs could attain speeds of more than 25 knots and he just chuckled and said yes. I asked what top speed could be attained and all he replied was that SSN's go, "faster than you can fathom." I suppose no pun was intended!

Sorry for the rambling post - just intrigued by subs after talking with my friend.

Submariner409
06-14-07, 09:39 PM
:thumbsup: Chuckle...! Part of my 26 years as a navigator and Chief of The Boat on diesel and nuclear sub duty was in USS SKIPJACK (SSN 585) from '62 through '64. At the time the "Fastest Submarine In The World"...."greater than 32 knots" officially. With 15,000 SHP from 2 geared Westinghouse turbines supplied with steam from an 82 megawatt reactor we could could haul ass indefinitely, returning nothing to the ocean except the salt water we took in for cooling. The ship control planesmen wore seat belts. During an 82 day deployment the crew received less whole body radiation than a resident of Denver, CO does in 2 weeks. Great way to make lots of renewable power...Even some of the Ballistic Missile boats of the '60's and '70's could exceed 25, and the new guys are scary fast. Glad I'm not there.....LOL twice! Retired in '82......Ran a research ship for Johns Hopkins for 11 years....goofing off now, building Olds 455 boat engines....BTW, EB builds a hell of a good submarine......

Cadillac_Fan
06-15-07, 08:26 AM
:thumbsup: Chuckle...! Part of my 26 years as a navigator and Chief of The Boat on diesel and nuclear sub duty was in USS SKIPJACK (SSN 585) from '62 through '64. At the time the "Fastest Submarine In The World"...."greater than 32 knots" officially. With 15,000 SHP from 2 geared Westinghouse turbines supplied with steam from an 82 megawatt reactor we could could haul ass indefinitely, returning nothing to the ocean except the salt water we took in for cooling. The ship control planesmen wore seat belts. During an 82 day deployment the crew received less whole body radiation than a resident of Denver, CO does in 2 weeks. Great way to make lots of renewable power...Even some of the Ballistic Missile boats of the '60's and '70's could exceed 25, and the new guys are scary fast. Glad I'm not there.....LOL twice! Retired in '82......Ran a research ship for Johns Hopkins for 11 years....goofing off now, building Olds 455 boat engines....BTW, EB builds a hell of a good submarine......

Wow, what an accomplished and distiguished career of service! Awesome to read of your experience, too. My maritime experience is limited to one-design sailing, and occasionally I sail Lake Michigan on my uncle's 42' Sabre. When I lived in Alexandria, my then-girlfriend (now wife) gave me a sailing voucher to take a Flying Scot for a sail on the Potomac River. What a thrill that was. I learned to have a healthy appreciation for tidal waters.

How true: Rocky Flats likely emits more rads than a sub; I am a champion of the nuclear Navy. "Peace Through Strength!"

If it wouldn't be too much to ask, could you recommend some good texts on submarines of any era? I'm a maritime history buff, and would love to learn more about subs and submariners.

Again, thanks for the great post, and your service:patriot: . (I found the chart below quite interesting, too.)
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h53000/h53472.jpg

carguyshu
09-19-07, 06:59 PM
the best place to look is craigslist.org... here in kc there are approx. 300 cars posted each day (about 7500 have been posted in the last couple of weeks)