: me=moron

hankk17
04-06-04, 11:36 PM
OK you may recall I had a rough idle problem that just refused to go away.

Well I fixed it tonight. I unfortunately disobeyed the golden rule of auto-mechanics.. fix the SIMPLE stuff first.

What was it? Plugs. @&#@*&* PLUGS. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I researched this problem so much that I forgot to check the most obvious problem.

However, in my defense, the plugs are SUPPOSED to last for 100K. My Eldo only had 79K on it when I originally noticed the problem.

Tonight, exasperated, I went over my steps and decided to pull a plug - the platinum nub on the anode was totally gone. on EVERY plug. Add to this the fact that the plugs on the front two cylinders (2 and 4) were FINGER-TIGHT - no torqued down at all.

So I got myself a set of OEM plugs and wires and replaced them all tonight... and I have a new car.. it runs smooth as glass again and has it's chutzpah back :) ..it's totally amazing what the simple things will do.

Just wanted to pass that along to anyone else who may be having this issue.

Do like bbobynski has recommended so many times here - clean the throttle body with a toothbrush until it SHINES (both sides). Check the Fuel Pressure Regulator on the fuel rail - there should be NO drips. and by god.. check your PLUGS!

Thanks to all who have listened to me whine about this. You all have no idea how relieved I am that this is fixed. Yay!

OlManRivah
04-06-04, 11:54 PM
That's not being a Moron, it's just human nature. Happens to everyone. Like installing new plugs and wires and having a new defective one.

One of the last places to look.:hide:

jgr7
04-07-04, 12:42 AM
Hey at least you did'nt spend $2600 on a new head because of a bad spark plug wire:crying2: . My kid has a 2000 mazda 626 salvaged car that started missing when it got hot and threw a #1 cyl misfire code, so I changed the plugs it ran ok for about a week than started missing again at hwy speeds so I put on a coil pack, ok again for a week, the #1 cyl had been stripped out before my kid got the car and had an adapter on it. My kid is in San Diego at college and I'm north of San Francisco so I told him to find a shop and take it in, he went to the mazda dealer and they told him it needed a new head. Found out that they stripped out the #1 spark plug nad now it did need a new head. I went down and towed it home had the head replaced here $2600, it ran ok till he got almost over the grape vine heading into LA started missing again. I never put new plug wires on the car because they looked ok and you had to order them from mazda $75 .Well you can see where I'm going the #1 wire finally burnt a hole out the side and you could see it, replaced it and been fine ever since:rant2: .

So don't feel so bad LOL
Jeff

hankk17
04-07-04, 11:15 AM
Hey at least you did'nt spend $2600 on a new head because of a bad spark plug wire:crying2: . My kid has a 2000 mazda 626 salvaged car that started missing when it got hot and threw a #1 cyl misfire code, so I changed the plugs it ran ok for about a week than started missing again at hwy speeds so I put on a coil pack, ok again for a week, the #1 cyl had been stripped out before my kid got the car and had an adapter on it. My kid is in San Diego at college and I'm north of San Francisco so I told him to find a shop and take it in, he went to the mazda dealer and they told him it needed a new head. Found out that they stripped out the #1 spark plug nad now it did need a new head. I went down and towed it home had the head replaced here $2600, it ran ok till he got almost over the grape vine heading into LA started missing again. I never put new plug wires on the car because they looked ok and you had to order them from mazda $75 .Well you can see where I'm going the #1 wire finally burnt a hole out the side and you could see it, replaced it and been fine ever since:rant2: .

So don't feel so bad LOL
Jeff
Yikes! Thanks for that, it does make me feel a little better :)

Although I will admit, this isn't the first time something simple has stymied me either. Oh well, nothing teaches you well like experience.

Olds3.5
04-07-04, 12:13 PM
I once went to a junk yard and bought a used PCM when in fact all I had was a bad ground wire. Kick back, have a cold beer and realize that it's just part of the learning curve.

BeelzeBob
04-08-04, 12:16 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience...painful as it was....LOL...so that others can benefit. It is good to learn from experience....and even BETTER to learn from OTHERS experience...LOL.

I saw an quote the other day that I am starting to relate to: "Old age is a terrible price to pay for experience" This hightens the desire to learn from others experience!!

kevinK
04-11-04, 07:34 PM
Hi, guys, thanks for the feeding back.

Hankk17, glad you replaced the bad plugs and fixed the misfire. My question is: why there was no code detected?

My 98 Deville had similar problem with no code detected what so ever. I thought it is the engine mount. I took it to the dealer and was told that the engine mount is ok and the car has misfire on scanner. I checked for codes MANY TIMES and see nothing!? So, is the on board diagnostic really robust?

I ordered plugs and wire and hope this will fix the problem. I should have done this long time ago not waiting for the dammed code to appear.

CaddyShaq
04-11-04, 08:14 PM
I have a slight misfire and hesitation and I am hoping that my problem will be fixed by the simple stuff like plugs and wires.

hankk17
04-12-04, 10:36 AM
before I changed out the plugs and wires my 99 Eldo was backfiring whenever I'd give it gas to go from a dead stop - especially under load, like going up an onramp, etc.

additionally, it would idle EXTREMELY roughly at a stop sign. The strange thing about it was that the problem wouldn't show up until the engine got up to running temperature.

good luck with the changeout!