: New V Owner, Ready for Upgrades...

pveomett
06-14-07, 10:42 AM
I traded in my '03 Evo 8 for an '05 V almost a month ago. I have been doing alot of reading on this website and CadillacFAQs. I plan on doing the works with the intake, catback, headers, and eventually a maggie... I was wondering what anyone who has a V would recomend for the early stages of mods? I have heard UUC Short shifter is a must have, along with eliminating the wheel hop (which I have experienced, and could not believe how violent that really feels....)

Basicaly I am just wondering what everyone thinks is the best early modification that I would benefit from the most...

Thank you for the help,

Pveomett

Kmajecki
06-14-07, 11:06 AM
I started with:
1.) cutouts
2.) Maggie
3.) X-pipe
4.) UUC shifter (getting it next week).

You've gotta have some rumble to start things off. Then i would say shifter after feeling CTS2NV's (its a must have). Then maggie. The maggie made more noise than my exhaust, so i had to upgrade to an xpipe. Pretty happy so far. Cant wait for my shifter. As far as wheel hop.. It sucks, but im too scared to launch the car hard enough to get wheelhop so that's later on my mod list.

GMBOUND
06-14-07, 11:07 AM
Welcome,
UUC is hands down the 1st mod to do!

The Tony Show
06-14-07, 11:23 AM
Read my sig- Kooks and Corsa make it sound like a muscle car, and the UUC really improves shift feel. The Stealth Power tune (www.stealthv.com) makes a big difference in throttle response and driveability, as well as adding some nifty extra features (read the web site for more info).

I'm pretty happy with my current state of mods. Next will probably be a cam and FAST 90 intake and 90mm Throttle body. I prefer NA to boosted.

pveomett
06-14-07, 11:55 AM
Thank you! That pretty much is where I was planning on going with the upgrades. Another couple questions:
1. Is there any big difference between the Corsa and Magnaflow catback systems? (does one have a deeper sound or better overall quality?)
2. I have noticed that some vendors offer discounts to forum members (Atleast thats what I think i saw on one of Lindsay Cadillac's posts...) Does anyone have any recomendations about where to buy parts from?

type911
06-14-07, 12:31 PM
Read my sig- Kooks and Corsa make it sound like a muscle car, and the UUC really improves shift feel. The Stealth Power tune (www.stealthv.com) makes a big difference in throttle response and driveability, as well as adding some nifty extra features (read the web site for more info).

I'm pretty happy with my current state of mods. Next will probably be a cam and FAST 90 intake and 90mm Throttle body. I prefer NA to boosted.

To the OP. Congrats and welcome!!

Tony..Any Chance of sound clip of the idle and rev with your setup?

HushH
06-14-07, 03:29 PM
Thank you! That pretty much is where I was planning on going with the upgrades. Another couple questions:
1. Is there any big difference between the Corsa and Magnaflow catback systems? (does one have a deeper sound or better overall quality?)
2. I have noticed that some vendors offer discounts to forum members (Atleast thats what I think i saw on one of Lindsay Cadillac's posts...) Does anyone have any recomendations about where to buy parts from?

1. Both are quality pieces, but they definitely have a different sound. Your best bet is to try to hear them in person, but if you can't arrange that Corsa has sound clips on their website and there are clips of the magnaflow at http://www.cadillacfaq.com.

2.Lindsay and Tbyrne are both good to deal with and both probably have the lowest prices you'll find.

v-ape
06-14-07, 03:33 PM

1) I dunno, but I'm kind of partial to the Corsa burbles and pops.
2) Lindsay is top notch, especially if you live in Northern VA.

Late BrakeU2
06-14-07, 03:44 PM
I traded in my '03 Evo 8 for an '05 V almost a month ago. I have been doing alot of reading on this website and CadillacFAQs. I plan on doing the works with the intake, catback, headers, and eventually a maggie... I was wondering what anyone who has a V would recomend for the early stages of mods? I have heard UUC Short shifter is a must have, along with eliminating the wheel hop (which I have experienced, and could not believe how violent that really feels....)

Basicaly I am just wondering what everyone thinks is the best early modification that I would benefit from the most...Thank you for the help,

Pveomett

Stage 1 muellerized suspension
TBE
K&N drop in filter
Scott Grey flash,
MBC
Walbro 255 pump

Wait.that was for my EVO IX RS..

Stealth V tune
UUC
LPE air box

You can get rid of the wheelhop if you drive it like it was designed for-sprirted touring..but if you do the stop light nationals thingy you will be joining the long list of posts on blown pumpkins.

heavymetals
06-14-07, 03:58 PM
The most effective exhaust is a B&B with no cats and an "X" pipe.

It is a blast to run around in and with a maggie is LOUD. :thumbsup:

It is also stinky and rolling probable cause. :eek:

Don't do clutch dumps.:thepan:

Get a maggie, a Stealth tune, UUC and B&B exhaust system.

Put the cats and the resonator on when you've had enough "fun".:rolleyes:

WheelHop
06-14-07, 04:28 PM
How much does the StealthV tune cost??

The Tony Show
06-14-07, 04:37 PM
$400, which is comparable to most dyno tunes, but they don't give you the fan run on, valet mode, shift light, etc... The Stealth tune has great off throttle and part throttle driveability, as opposed to most dyno tuners who only tune for WOT. My car feels snappier at all times now, not just when flooring it.

WheelHop
06-14-07, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the input! :D

heavymetals
06-14-07, 05:23 PM
Also, Ric supports his work.

I really like the tune he did on my Z06 :thumbsup:

The Tony Show
06-14-07, 09:40 PM
To the OP. Congrats and welcome!!

Tony..Any Chance of sound clip of the idle and rev with your setup?

Sure, here you go:

Click Me (http://app3.websitetonight.com/projects/1/6/4/4/164411/uploads/Kooks_rev.mp3)

The only thing I don't like is the infamous Corsa "rocks in a can" sound. It only happens around 1500 RPMs when decelerating, but it's really noticeable when revving in Neutral.

Anyway, I hope that gives you a decent idea. It sounds even better when accelerating :devil:.

trukk
06-15-07, 08:09 AM
The only thing I don't like is the infamous Corsa "rocks in a can" sound. It only happens around 1500 RPMs when decelerating, but it's really noticeable when revving in Neutral.

Unfortunately, I have this too. It tends to go away after the exhasut heats up, but it's still annoying. Does anyone have any idea what is causign this, and if/how it might be fixed (or mitigated)? Note: that it took about 5 Months' 7k miles for this issue to show up for me.

-Chris

type911
06-15-07, 02:48 PM
Sure, here you go:

Click Me (http://app3.websitetonight.com/projects/1/6/4/4/164411/uploads/Kooks_rev.mp3)

Anyway, I hope that gives you a decent idea. It sounds even better when accelerating :devil:.

Minus the rocks it sounds killer. Are running Cats as well?

The Tony Show
06-15-07, 03:00 PM
Kooks sells Magnaflow cats specially fitted to mate up with the Corsa or Stock exhaust- That's what I've got.

I need to find a way to get a WOT acceleration clip without tons of wind noise. That's where this setup really screams.

theloanman219
06-15-07, 03:08 PM
Tony,

Im not ready to get my exhaust yet. or Tune. But can he do a tune for the exhaust and headers and run it without them. Im kinda new to the whole mod thing?

The Tony Show
06-15-07, 03:19 PM
I had my PCM Stealth tuned prior to getting my headers. When I added them, Rick reflashed the PCM at no charge to adjust for the new mods. Top shelf customer service (find a dyno guy who'll do that) :thumbsup:.

Since headers dramatically change the flow characteristics of the engine, I'd advise against running a header tune in a stock car. If I'm wrong then I'm sure someone (perhaps Rick) will chime in, but that's my opinion.

trukk
06-19-07, 11:37 AM
<SNIP>
When I added them, Rick reflashed the PCM at no charge to adjust for the new mods. Top shelf customer service (find a dyno guy who'll do that) :thumbsup:.
<SNIP>

Damian/Bret at FBC. You only pay once. All future tunes are free.

Not trying to steal Rick's thunder, but there are some dyno tuners that do that too.

-Chris