: Is there a FAQ/Thread about the CTS-V downfalls?

risho
06-13-07, 11:06 PM
I'll be in the market later this month for either a fully loaded Infiniti Q45 or a 04-05 CTS-V in the 25-31K range, my only concern is I keep seeing so many with leaking/blown diffs, is there a general warranty for these rear-ends that carries on to new owners or do I need an extended warranty? This will be my first car in this price range and I dont feel like I should be treating this car like I did my old 92 S/Ced SHO, fun car but always a work in progress.

So with that said is the rear end the biggest concern with some spirited driving at most? Or are there other major problems these cars have that I dont know about?

tx_metabaron
06-13-07, 11:17 PM
I'll be in the market later this month for either a fully loaded Infiniti Q45 or a 04-05 CTS-V in the 25-31K range, my only concern is I keep seeing so many with leaking/blown diffs, is there a general warranty for these rear-ends that carries on to new owners or do I need an extended warranty? This will be my first car in this price range and I dont feel like I should be treating this car like I did my old 92 S/Ced SHO, fun car but always a work in progress.

So with that said is the rear end the biggest concern with some spirited driving at most? Or are there other major problems these cars have that I dont know about?
Don't let the forum comments affect your judgement too negatively.People who blow rear diff may not be,on average, your typical "spirited driver" ( I may be wrong).

BTW,I was in the same situation eight months ago and I;ve been loving every minute of it since(have not tracked the car yet,that'll happen in July).
Because of all these bad diff stories,I purchased the extended warranty for an extra $1000,since most of the blown diffs seem to have been replaced under warranty.
People complain louder than they compliment,so take all these blown diffs with a grain of salt.

calicadi
06-14-07, 12:33 AM
Check the survey:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/survey/results8-v.php

Maybe some things to consider when looking at this... there are V owners out there who have never even seen this site, let alone post or complete surveys. So as tx metabaron says, forum comments may not be representative of the whole.

The V is a high-performance car (the Q45 is not). You can expect some have driven their V "hard". (I drive mine hard, autocrossing for three years straight, but I'm still on the original diff.) Compare reports of component failures on this forum to 'Vette, Viper, Porsche, etc. sites.

rand49er
06-14-07, 05:39 AM
^^ Yeah those. ^^

If there's a weak link in these cars, it is the dif and only the dif. And there are guys who've never had theirs replaced as Cali said. Plus, I don't think I've ever read here where someone (let alone a bunch of people) has had a blown engine or tranny. The engine is stout through and through. The car is a beast and fun to mod (or leave stock). You'll find yourself coming up with excuses to drive it ... I know I do after 2-1/2 years. :)

Feffman
06-14-07, 07:05 AM
RISHO:

When buying my V about 9 months ago, I'd considered a wide variety of car choices to replace my Audi A8 inlcuding a new Audi A8, S6, S4, RS4, BMW M3, M5 and a Maserati Coupe.

When I drove the V home to show my wife and make sure it was comfortable for my children, my wife's comment "That car is so you!". I not only got rid of my Audi, but my Lotus Esprit V8 as well.

This is the first American car (damn embarrassed to admit this) I've owned in nearly 20 years and not only has it been very reliable and a REAL pleasure to drive but my dealer service (Moore Cadillac in Chesterfield, Mo. - oil changes, a computer update, etc.) has been outstanding. Much better service and attention to detail then my Audi dealer ever could imagine.

So far at several track events I've been to with the V, I've passed a good number of Porsche 911, several Lotus, a C5 Corvette, Mitsu EVO VII (in the rain)....... (list is long). You won't get that "convenience" in most other cars.

Warts, a few minor ones. Interior is a little odd but works good. The short shift kit from UUC is a must and once the run-flat tires are worn out put on some better tires.

Mark "Feff" Pfeffer
www.MVPTrackTime.com

risho
06-15-07, 12:56 AM
Thanks everyone for your input and links for me to read through in my research of the V, I am definitly a person who takes several weeks of research just to jump into almost anything especially a purchase of this amount. I know it can be pretty biased to think every V blows there diff when most people make the bad known more often than the good.

And as far as me considering the Q45 its because its one of those one off cars with lots of room which I like, many lil tech goodies and no slouch itself at about 340-350HP and of course the foreign resale value that always stays higher than a majority of american made cars, sad fact.

Ill be around the forum thanks for the welcoming guys, the most I plan to do my V if I decide to get one is a short shifter, I/H/E, and maybe exterior goodies like a roof wing or any other cosmetic mods offered for the V nothing major in the future like boost etc thats what the weekend toys are made for :)