: I think it's the Tensioner

RazorSpikes
06-13-07, 11:07 PM
I hear a high pitched screeching sound when i start my car. It's coming from the top pulley on the right side of the engine. After I drive for about 15-20 minutes the screeching goes away but after the engine cools down the screeching sound comes back again. I'm still a newbie but the threads I've read so fars got me thinking it's the belt tensioner or the idler tensioner I need to replace.

Ranger
06-13-07, 11:23 PM
If the tensioner is frozen (rusted in place) and not providing enough tension then the belt will slip and squeal. On the other hand, it could be a bad tensioner or idler bearing. Listen with a stethoscope or length of hose, but be careful around those spinning belts. Also with the engine off, release the tension on the tensioner and spin the pulleys by hand. See if they are quiet and smooth with no slop in them.

RazorSpikes
06-13-07, 11:47 PM
If the tensioner is frozen (rusted in place) and not providing enough tension then the belt will slip and squeal. On the other hand, it could be a bad tensioner or idler bearing. Listen with a stethoscope or length of hose, but be careful around those spinning belts. Also with the engine off, release the tension on the tensioner and spin the pulleys by hand. See if they are quiet and smooth with no slop in them.

Taking into consideration that I have never done this procedure before, I do have a few questions: Can a rusted tensioner be lubricated with wd40 if it's rusted? How do I release the tension and replace the tensioner? Is the idler bearing part of the Tensioner main drive assembly?

Ranger
06-14-07, 11:26 AM
The idler pulley is separate as seen in the diagram BBF posted at caddyinfo. The idler is #3 in the diagram. The tensioner is #6. See the square hole in the flange? Put the square drive lug for a 1/2" drive breaker bar in there and use that as a lever to release tension. If it does not move freely, get some oil on the pivot point and work the tensioner back and forth to work it in. Be careful not to get any on the belt or pulleys.