: 2006 SRX Trailer Wires Hook-up ??

maestro89
06-13-07, 06:13 PM
I added a Hidden Hitch to my 06 SRX and purchased a standard trailer, but have no idea how to connect the wiring for the trailer lights. Dealer told me today they do not sell a simple adapter to connect empty female plugs behind left tail light, which I assume are for the factory trailer hitch. I have Modulite 118151 and 118176 but before I go cutting wires I want to know if anyone here has a non factory hitch and how they connected the trailer lights.

Thanks for any info. Michael

john d
06-13-07, 06:28 PM
I added a Hidden Hitch to my 06 SRX and purchased a standard trailer, but have no idea how to connect the wiring for the trailer lights. Dealer told me today they do not sell a simple adapter to connect empty female plugs behind left tail light, which I assume are for the factory trailer hitch. I have Modulite 118151 and 118176 but before I go cutting wires I want to know if anyone here has a non factory hitch and how they connected the trailer lights.

Thanks for any info. Michael
Hi Michael -
A warranty voiding tamper issue could really be serious and electrical cutting could do it. The trailer wiring splice cutting could be validily blamed for a computer burn out. That would be big bucks I'd guess.
Also, the Drawtite hitch I installed called for trimming the heat shield around the spare. I didn't cut the shield but simply bent it to confrorm to the space available while continuing to provide the protection for which it was designed.
The wiring on mine (I have the tow package) had a plastic wiring block splice/connector in the wiring under the bumper on the drivers side. The wiring harness from GM (part #12499575 $61.25 list price in 9/04) sandwiched between the male/female ends of the wiring block so no cutting of wires was required. You might check for that wiring block connector splice even if you don't have the towing package.
I used thread lock on the hitch to body bolts.
Before you do any wire cutting ask if it could void your warranty and if not get it in writing.
Let us know what you find out and what you do.

arandall850
06-13-07, 09:24 PM
If the trailer wiring actually causes a problem, and it is aftermarket, then it will not be covered by the warranty, but if you do it and something unrelated happens, they can´t deny you warranty work. Magnusson Moss warranty act

john d
06-13-07, 11:56 PM
If the trailer wiring actually causes a problem, and it is aftermarket, then it will not be covered by the warranty, but if you do it and something unrelated happens, they canīt deny you warranty work. Magnusson Moss warranty act
You're absolutly correct.
I'd just hate to spend the attorney fees to prove my (or anyone else besides dealer) cutting wires DIDN"T burn out the computer.
Meanwhile, I've either had to let the car set disabled or layout some big dollars to get it running again.

maestro89
07-04-07, 10:06 PM
Sorry for the delay - Part Number 12499575 is correct and works easily on the 06 SRX. Too bad the dealer did not offer this part option when I visited them.

john d
07-05-07, 12:31 AM
Sorry for the delay - Part Number 12499575 is correct and works easily on the 06 SRX. Too bad the dealer did not offer this part option when I visited them.
Hope you found it was a "slam/dunk" install as I did.
Glad it worked for you!