: Extreme Composites Cowl Hood

Kmajecki
06-13-07, 10:51 AM
I have searched and read the old threads regarding the hoods from these guys. Anyone have some long term results to share? I am thinking of getting one this weekend. Do i get just the cowl, or the cowl and vents? Seems like the vents would suck all kinds of heat out of the engine especially with maggie packed in there. Also the local body shop i called estimated a minimum of $300-$400 to paint it. He said there have been times before when the fiberglass soaks up the paint after being baked and looks like the hood has been walked on, then the hood has to be re-sanded, bondo'd, re-sanded, and then repainted.

Key Points.....
-Vents or no vents?
-Long term results?
-Paint cost ok?
-Fiberglass soaking up the paint?

http://www.extremecomposites.com/cts/IMG_0390.JPG
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r246/Kmajecki/4.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r246/Kmajecki/3.jpg

The Tony Show
06-13-07, 11:03 AM
No experience with this hood, but with any paint the key is prep. If someone had the paint soak into the Fiberglass, it's becuase they did a halfass prep job.

Done right, it should be fine.

HushH
06-13-07, 11:30 AM
I'd say definitely get the vents. Might as well ad some functionality to it.

Kmajecki
06-13-07, 11:31 AM
What do you think about the vents? From the first picture it looks like they are set above the hood. If they were flush i think i would be all for them, but if they set above i think they look cheap. I could just add those to my current hood if i didnt want them flush. Doesnt pep boys sell some stick on ones?!!!

dqw1
06-13-07, 11:54 AM
Good questions, I still have to decide on getting a cowl hood before I get my front repainted this summer

HushH
06-13-07, 12:53 PM
What do you think about the vents? From the first picture it looks like they are set above the hood. If they were flush i think i would be all for them, but if they set above i think they look cheap. I could just add those to my current hood if i didnt want them flush. Doesnt pep boys sell some stick on ones?!!!

I see what you're saying. I don't know of any who has this hood with the extractors, but maybe EC can provide some finished pics.

CTSV_Rob
06-13-07, 01:45 PM
rgd has a hood similiar to this one and and prettty sure he told me it was this hood.

If I remember correctly he had the vents and I Think they blended in nicely. The Venst did not look like an add on after it was prepped and painted. May want to PM him he could probably answer all of your questions. I'm sure he would be happy to send you some pic's of the hood also.

Kmajecki
06-13-07, 05:44 PM
is that is user name? RGD? This is getting pricey... Now im thinking hood or UUC flywheel... Geez, I havent received my UUC shifter yet. Maybe i should take things 1 mod at a time....

CTSV_Rob
06-13-07, 05:56 PM
is that is user name? RGD? This is getting pricey... Now im thinking hood or UUC flywheel... Geez, I havent received my UUC shifter yet. Maybe i should take things 1 mod at a time....
Yes his User name is "rgd" .

I was looking into this hood but I decided to get the Headers, GM Accessory Wheels, B&B Exhaust, UUC Shifter, UUC Knob, UUC Bushings...

I would like to get a heat extractor hood but I don't like having the vents open to the elements, I was hoping it would be a functional cowl but it is not. It gets pretty hot under the hood and it would be nice to pull out some of that heat.

I like the hood but after prep and paint and the cost of the hood it was going to be over 1K so I decided to go with the performance mods and some smaller body mods (Having the Sport Rear spoiler installed Today).

I was thinking about the UUC Flywheel But I haven't even installed the Headers yet! I am still thinking about buying it but still not sure....

Good luck.

Kmajecki
06-13-07, 06:51 PM
Email i just got from Jimmy at Extreme Composites:"The vents bond in separate so they can be trimmed flush or left slightly elevated".

I would like the hood and have no doubt it would look bad ass, but it's hard to spend that much on "looks" knowing what performance mods you could get for that kind of money. Even with the great deal he is offering me, after paint i'm still going to be over $1k... Anyone want to buy my stock hood? I'm only asking $999.99 :thepan:

Chef
06-13-07, 08:14 PM
For the love of God did I hear stick ons? I hope that was a joke:thumbsup:

All that you heard regarding the paint and finish is true. Mine was block sanded 5 times and heat baked and then finished several times. Fiberglass, carbon fiber etc. are very, very, tricky and you will pay a minimum of $700.00 for the work that goes into it to do it right. I will have pictures of mine once it gets on in a week or two.

Extractors are the way to go especially if you you're maggied.

RGD know his stuff as well and can assist your quest.

Chef

Kmajecki
06-13-07, 09:18 PM
For the love of God did I hear stick ons? I hope that was a joke:thumbsup:

Why a joke? Will stick on ones not remove heat from the engine? Was also getting the stickons for the fender so i can roll with Tiger Woods and the Buicks! haha Yea i was kidding. Thanks for the suggestions. I just need to find a post by rgd so i can PM him! $700 in labor???!!! I think i've got a few more performance mods to go before spending my moola on a hood.