: anybody who's gotten new tires for their Goodyear F1 EMT Runflats...please help!

Alan F
06-12-07, 09:19 AM
OK, a month ago the local Goodyear tire store was cool w/ allowing me 50% of the value of the F1 runflats since they're totally worn out at 9k miles. Well, I finally get back into town and get an appointment and now they are saying since cord is showing they won't cover the tires because its obvious its a bad alignment.

OK...no car should come new and in 9k miles be showing cord even w/ a "not perfect" alignment.

Where can I go to document the Goodyear replacement/recall/credit of these F1 runflats that everyone is only getting 9k or 10k miles out of???

Please point me in the direction. The tire store said they wanted to see something in print, and that their Goodyear rep is pleading ignorance.

thebigjimsho
06-12-07, 09:40 AM
I have oned at least 8 sets of Goodyears. I have NEVER been able to get any of the tires to wear evenly to the wearbars...

Alan F
06-12-07, 09:46 AM
UPDATE:

I panic'd and posted that. My Goodyear store is really trying now to work w/ me. I did search and found some good info on here that was posted just last month. If anyone has any new info, I'd appreciate it, but did find a lot of good stuff since I posted this.

Thanks

OldRoadDawg
06-12-07, 09:55 AM
I have owned at least 8 sets of Goodyears. I have NEVER been able to get any of the tires to wear evenly to the wearbars...
:yeah:
When I initially went to the GY dealer I had all my paperwork with me showing when it was last aligned, balanced, etc to eliminate those arguments. Sounds like your GY dealer is looking for excuses. Might be worth having the alignment checked to show him that it is within specs.
Otherwise, look for a different tire shop.

MescalVto
06-12-07, 11:43 AM
call goodyear customer service directly yourself and get a case number, search prior threads for the correct#, should be no issues . . .

They will instruct you to go to a local dealer for measurement and have them call goodyear with the case #:thumbsup:

z06bigbird
06-12-07, 12:22 PM
That is a standard cop-out that tire retailes have been using over the past 10years or so. Certainly, there are people who do not align their cars. I don't know how you can separate those people (except for proof of alignment). You are doing the right thing by escalating your request to the manufact or dealer.

daytripper
06-12-07, 02:20 PM
After just having gone through this and read quite a few stories on here would be to try another dealer. Goodyear national was quite willing to let me switch to another dealer when my own deal went sour.

After the initial visit and the tread depth measurement, the rest of the deal is in Goodyear customer service's hands. They are the ones who negotiate the pro-rating and decide how much to give you. The dealer's tire prices are used by customer service to generate the actual credit amount. The dealer can work with you on negotiations surrounding mount and balance costs, as that is out of the hands of customer service.

Keep in mind, you don't have to go to a Goodyear branded store. You can go to any licensed Goodyear dealer. I ended up going to a Just Tires. If you aren't sure, call Goodyear customer service and ask for other tire shops in your zip code.

Brian R.

thebigjimsho
06-12-07, 03:22 PM
:yeah:
When I initially went to the GY dealer I had all my paperwork with me showing when it was last aligned, balanced, etc to eliminate those arguments. Sounds like your GY dealer is looking for excuses. Might be worth having the alignment checked to show him that it is within specs.
Otherwise, look for a different tire shop.Did you add the "w" to my "oned"? My w key is clogged with something...

JimmyH
06-12-07, 06:43 PM
Did you add the "w" to my "oned"? My w key is clogged with something...

that's what they all say...

When you get a credit, is that towards new goodyears? Or any tires? I would not be too interested in going goodyear anymore. Their perf tires really seem to be lagging the industry (although GSD3 wet grip is at the top of the field). Plus the fact that I bubbled three GSD3s within 2 months. Their Integritys on the other hand are great tires, but that is for a different consumer than us...

Art138
06-12-07, 09:22 PM
[quote Keep in mind, you don't have to go to a Goodyear branded store.
Brian R.[/quote]

Make sure the store has EMT certified equipment or they will ruin your rims. There have been numerous threads about this issue. The bead spreader on a EMT certified tire/rim remover has a special composite roller. Some stores have gone beyond the serice limits of these rollers causing curb rash like damage.

Rich H
06-12-07, 09:56 PM
Make sure the store has EMT certified equipment or they will ruin your rims. There have been numerous threads about this issue. The bead spreader on a EMT certified tire/rim remover has a special composite roller. Some stores have gone beyond the serice limits of these rollers causing curb rash like damage.

Not only do you need certified EMT capable equipment, you need a certified mechanic who knows how to use it. I have found out the hard way that an untrained person can still screw up your rims regardless of the equipment. Find someone at a tire shop you trust and stick with them.

thebigjimsho
06-12-07, 10:21 PM
Yep, a Goodyear store that was EMT certified destroyed one of my rims. Thanks to DansCTS-V, he pointed me to a great shop. Many, many places have EMT equipment and it doesn't work on our wheels, supposedly because they're softer...

Alan F
06-12-07, 11:02 PM
well...I'm in the car...out w/ no charge at all for 4 brand new Toyo Proxies 4 in 245/45/18 and a 4-wheel alignment. The tire store told me as long as the claim went through Goodyear OK as they thought it would that we'd be fine and dandy. The alignment on the FE4 (I think) suspension on the V was actually not out hardly at all, especially out enough to ruin tires...just the plain fact that the tires were toast and continued to wear to the chords.

Thanks for the help. I had Bridgestone RE01Rs on the way (from your suggestions) but found them to be on back order when they had the Toyos in stock (plus Toyos are built in my county). I must say these Toyos were $190ish each installed and are as good of a street tire as I've ever had. They don't break loose at the top of first gear like the Yoko's and BFG KDWs I had. I know the V is heavier than my f-bod cars, but these Toyos are def. worth a shot.

2004ctsv
06-19-07, 06:15 PM
Thanks to Goodyear, I got four new F1 EMT's today for $360 out the door. The old tires were worn out to the wear bars at less than 6000 miles.

Actually, it was $360 plus a half inch chip on the rim of each of the wheels. A little touch up paint and who know the difference?