: Getting New Tires.......Anyone Have Their TPS's Rebuilt?

CTSV05
06-11-07, 09:06 AM
It was recommeneded I have the TPS units rebuilt, has anyone done this, or found it necessary to do so?

Thanx

nikon
06-11-07, 09:09 AM
never heard of that...what would you rebuild? You could put a new valve stem in it...but thats a given.

CIWS
06-11-07, 09:10 AM
No, but why would they be getting recommended to be rebuilt vs keeping what you have or just getting a new set ?

darkman
06-11-07, 09:33 AM
Pressure sensor Part No. 25774006, List Price= $62.18, Discount Price= about $47.00. Sensor nut Part No. 15234846, List =$4.98, Discount Price = about $3.00.

CTSV05
06-11-07, 09:50 AM
I was told the kit has new seals, grommets, etc.. and would add $5-10 a wheel.

Rey
06-11-07, 10:12 AM
I don't know if tire pressure sensors can or need be "rebuilt". If they completely fail, my understanding is the sole remedy is replacement. Usually, the "failure" is leakage, which is caused by a single rubber circular gasket deteriorating. This little gasket wraps around the valve stem at the interior of the tire. The seal is held by the nut at the exterior base of the valve stem. You have to dismount the tire to access the seal.
Many tire dealers have TPS seal "kits" in stock. My dealer replaced a seal for $17. My gasket seal had become "crushed" probably from my overtightening the exterior nut. My guess is that so long as these gaskets are properly torqued they will last almost indefinitely.
Many tire dealers routinely replace valve stems on conventional tires when replacing tires. In my opinion this is usually unnecessary; and so is replacing the gasket on TSPs.