: CHRFAB Intake Manifold

Maxb49
06-10-07, 11:28 PM
I was looking at the intake manifolds on CHRFAB.com. Would any of these fit on the 275 hp northstar and give it any noticalble power improvement?

danbuc
06-11-07, 06:43 PM
Nothing from CHRfab will work on a stock Northstar still residing within a Caddy. The parts they sell are designed with work with standalone computer management in vehicle like hotroad, sandrails, ect. Basically all of there stuff is for non-oem or stock applications. Granted you could put it on there, but the engine wouldn't run very well, and you'd end up with a lot more problems than you want.

Maxb49
06-11-07, 07:40 PM
Nothing from CHRfab will work on a stock Northstar still residing within a Caddy. The parts they sell are designed with work with standalone computer management in vehicle like hotroad, sandrails, ect. Basically all of there stuff is for non-oem or stock applications. Granted you could put it on there, but the engine wouldn't run very well, and you'd end up with a lot more problems than you want.

How frustrating.

dwight.j.carter
06-11-07, 08:01 PM
Yeah no one wants to make anything for our Northstars. Every time anyone tries to get one of these other companies to help us out the company basically tells us to pound sand.

dwight.j.carter
06-11-07, 08:02 PM
Hopefully I can get my hands on a used STS-V for my next car and I won't need any mods but I am sure I will be trying to do something with the car though.

Maxb49
06-11-07, 10:20 PM
Yeah no one wants to make anything for our Northstars. Every time anyone tries to get one of these other companies to help us out the company basically tells us to pound sand.

This engine poses the biggest challenge I have ever faced from a mechanic's standpoint. In my previous posts, I discussed my involvement with building high output small block and big block Chevy, Ford, and Dodge engines. Building power in those engines was a relatively straightforward proposition. Even a 1988 5.0 L Lincoln Town Car posed no serious challenges in building high horsepower. I have owned a few "modern tech" performance vehilces from BMW (the M5 was a nightmare from a reliability stand), but I kept returning to the Cadillacs and Lincolns because to me, they are the unsurpassed iteration of the quintessential luxury car. I like my bench seats and room to stretch out! Tim Allen Design's 400 hp DTSi notwithstanding, the traditional rules of hotrod application don't seem to apply in this case. What gives Cadillac? Why can a N/A SOHC Ford 4.6L V8 be built up to 300 hp with bolt ons, but nothing can be done to the Northstar?! There has to be something that can add 25 hp to that engine.

I'm ranting out of frustration.

Anyways. . .

:)

This Northstar, on the other hand, is very very frustrating. Not only is it difficult to work on

jadcock
06-12-07, 11:00 AM
Maxb49, Cadillac's N/A 4.6L V8 is already at 300 hp out of the box. The 275 hp and 300 hp engines are identical, save for the intake camshafts. If you want that extra 25 hp, and lower torque, trade intake camshafts. Beware though -- you'll lose performance if you keep that 3.11 final drive that you have in your 275 hp car. The 300 hp engine has lower torque, and at a higher RPM, which is one reason why it has the 3.71 final drive. It needs it to maintain good performance. Having owned both, I can tell you that you shouldn't go to much trouble to get those 25 horses. It's not worth hacking up your car. If you REALLY want them, sell your car and get one with the 300 hp engine. Otherwise, the difference is small.