: Problem with engine cutting out

joshuap
06-09-07, 10:07 PM
I have a new problem with my never ending problematic 04 EXT. Today, while driving, I noticed the rpms would drop, like a stall, and then pick up. After two times, I pulled over and the truck stalled. I started it back up, and it idled roughly, and then stalled. I started it again, tried revving it, which at first it did, and then the rpms dropped and it stalled. I was abled to start the truck, put it in reverse, and get it to move 6 feet back, bucking like a bronco, so the tow truck could get it. Any ideas? I really doubt it is bad gas, but I guess anything is possible. I have had problems lately with the trans, where the truck will roll back or forward (depending on the incline) when put in gear, while the rpms go up to 2000-3000, and then it all of the sudden catches. I don't believe the two are related, but figured I would throw it out there. Thanks for any ideas

EXT_Vegas
06-10-07, 07:51 AM
I had the same thing happen to me on my 96SS Impala. Turned out to be the MAF. I was driving home, stopped at a traffic light and it died. Couldn't move it 2 feet to save my life. I was stuck about 60 miles away from home.

slk230mb
06-10-07, 11:46 AM
Check for a dirty throttle body.

hcvone
06-11-07, 08:11 AM
Maybe a clogged fuel filter, or bad fuel pump (starting to go) just a guess without seeing it.

joshuap
06-11-07, 08:23 AM
I was told they don't have fuel filters, just "a sock" in the gas tank. I looked probably a year ago for a fuel filter to change out, and never found one. That's when one of the GM Techs told me the above...

hcvone
06-11-07, 08:24 AM
That is correct they stopped being smart in 03' . :(

Playdrv4me
06-11-07, 11:14 AM
Interesting, I have the thing where sometimes it wont catch the gear too, although in my case it doesnt rev and its reverse. I have to go back to P and then back to R for it to go. I concur about the throttle body as well.

DLE
06-11-07, 11:45 AM
Check for a dirty throttle body.

Ditto. :thumbsup:

My wife's 02 lade was idling very low and sometimes the truck would stall. Got the Trottle body cleaned and it idles perfect now.