: Diff/Tranny Drain & Fill Plug Locations

C66 Racing
06-09-07, 02:47 PM
Just got my car up and crawled under it for the first time. Ready to swap out the factory fluids and want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I start. Looking for a little help from those that have gone before me. Would appreciate confirmation of the below:

Diff
Fill plug: driver's side just in front of the half shaft, about halfway up
Drain plug: centered on the bottom

Tranny
Fill plug: driver's side, about halfway forward and halfway up
Drain plug: passenger side, rear corner on the bottom with what looks to be the temp sensor plugged into it.

There is another plug on the tranny passenger's side top forward - is this the 1st-4th skip solenoid?

OldRoadDawg
06-09-07, 03:16 PM
Just got my car up and crawled under it for the first time. Ready to swap out the factory fluids and want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I start. Looking for a little help from those that have gone before me. Would appreciate confirmation of the below:

Diff
Fill plug: driver's side just in front of the half shaft, about halfway up
Drain plug: centered on the bottom

Tranny
Fill plug: driver's side, about halfway forward and halfway up
Drain plug: passenger side, rear corner on the bottom with what looks to be the temp sensor plugged into it.

There is another plug on the tranny passenger's side top forward - is this the 1st-4th skip solenoid?

See if this info helps:

Changing transmission fluid (http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/transchange/index.html)

Changing differential fluid (http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/difflube/index.html)

even got piktures!

Rey
06-09-07, 05:14 PM
There is a reason why you want to get the gear lube nice and toasty warm before attempting to change. Your fill/drain plugs are made of steel and the transmission'differential cases are aluminum. These dissemilar metals expand differently and when cold the plugs are very, very tight - too tight to attempt loosening usually.
Always, always, always loosen the fill plug first. Then, if by chance you cannot loosen the drain plug - no worries.

C66 Racing
06-09-07, 10:25 PM
OldRoadDawg,
Thanks for the links, great info. Pretty much confirmed what I saw this morning.

Rey,
Thanks for the tips. Learned the same things on my Z06 years ago... and haven't forgotten them. :cheers:

Silver Dollar
06-09-07, 11:24 PM
must.....use....self control.........

The Tony Show
06-09-07, 11:38 PM
must.....use....self control.........

Ditto.