: hey guys, buying an SRX need opinion on car

Kael
06-07-07, 02:19 PM
here is the link (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=222414149&dealer_id=74101&car_year=2004&model=SRX&num_records=25&make2=&start_year=2004&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=50&color2=&make=CAD&color=BLACK&min_price=15000&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=45000&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=60565&advanced=y&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=Automatic&max_price=30000&cardist=11&LNX=ESTAFSRCHUSDTEXT).

I am in the chicago area and this seems like a pretty good deal. i don't know a tonne about SRX's ( I own an 04 CTS currently, the girl wants the SRX cause cadi's simply rule) so i would like your opinion.
good deal? crap deal? awd drive a necessity? the SRX is pretty decent right?
and this one has the sunroof too.

thanks a TON any and everybody.

afg350ci
06-07-07, 04:42 PM
I own an 05 SRX and have driven a CTS on many occasions. In my opinion, if you like the CTS, get the SRX. The inside is identical so it will feel very natural to you, and the extra space in the back comes in very handy.

I ran a quick price check on Kelly Blue Book. It appears that the seller is a dealership. According to KBB, the Suggested Retail Value is $26,795.00. This assumes the vehicle has received the cosmetic and/or mechanical reconditioning needed to qualify it as "Excellent". This is not a transaction value; it is representative of a dealer's asking price and the starting point for negotiation. It appears that you are at a good starting point. If you can negotiate anything from there, go for it.

c5 rv
06-07-07, 07:28 PM
2004 was the first year and I think there are more problems with that model year. I would opt for a 2005 if she can handle the WIDE doorsills or a 2006 with the narrower door sills.

rotharch
06-08-07, 04:03 PM
You asked for it, so here goes. I bought an '06 SRX with 4,200 miles from a Cad dealer in Libertyville, Illinois (there's only one there, look it up) for $27,400, fully equipped 6 cylinder. That said, I wouldn't buy another one. Car has a chronic front end "clunk" they can't (or won't) fix. Rear differential was replaced at 6,000 miles. Rear wiper washer was replaced at 7,000 miles. I'm not a foreign car guy, but maybe, just maybe, there's something to think about...

Smokin' SRX
06-08-07, 04:48 PM
You asked for it, so here goes. I bought an '06 SRX with 4,200 miles from a Cad dealer in Libertyville, Illinois (there's only one there, look it up) for $27,400, fully equipped 6 cylinder. That said, I wouldn't buy another one. Car has a chronic front end "clunk" they can't (or won't) fix. Rear differential was replaced at 6,000 miles. Rear wiper washer was replaced at 7,000 miles. I'm not a foreign car guy, but maybe, just maybe, there's something to think about...

You have the wrong dealer or wrong service rep. Ask for the service Mgr! My '04 had a minor front end clunk and they "reflashed" the computer. Now it holds the rpm's a little higher so I don't clunk when I begin to accelaerate again. Replacing a rear end is rare at 6k miles, but at least the dealer took the extraordinary measure. My rear wiper leaked some fluid into the rear hold. results.......clogged nozzle cleaned. that's it! We love our SRX! The ride (MAG RIDE ) and power of the Northstar V-8 is fantastic! The rear cargo is nice and roomy!

My friend just got a new edition Toyaota Tundra! Guess what? The camshaft broke at 1500 miles!! (this is the one the commercial shows pulling a load, over a cliff! HA!) One month to repair ,as camshaft comes from the Sushi Land.

My neighbor's Honda Accord had a total brake failure at 450 miles!! She totaled the car at 60 MPH, going downhill, and was in a body cast! Honda came to the hospital before her lawyer did and and had her sign a release to get a brand new, loaded, Accord Hybrid! Her car disapperared!!!! Hmm.......

Point is, all vehicles have some problems. And yes, based on this forum, I believe some Caddys were just Lemons!! It happens. Unless the writers were just Lexus owners in "sheeps" clothing http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

I wish you the best luck resolving your issues. At least you won't succumb to my other neighbors fate.......he bought a Highlander........and died of boredom and athetic nausea, 3 months later! :eek:

keeton
06-08-07, 11:14 PM
The VIN of the car you're looking at begins with 1GYEE... which means it is a later production 2004. A lot of running changes were made so you should be OK as far the worst initial bugs were concerned. Is this a 2WD or 4WD?

In any event, since this is a Cadillac dealer, make sure that this is a "certified" used car. This will extend the warranty in case there are any issues. If they don't certify it and/or try to offer you a third-party warranty instead, walk away from the deal - something is wrong with the vehicle.

BMBLBEE
06-09-07, 04:41 AM
We paid $27k for our '07 base model with 650 miles last week. When looking I also saw another '07 AWD with sun roof and seating pkg for $32k. If you look at autotrader and cars.com you will find some very good deals on '07 models.

rotharch
06-09-07, 04:38 PM
Thanks for your comments. The front end "clunk" is somewhere in the suspension - it happens on certain road conditions only. You may be right about the dealer..perhaps I should try another one.

As far as the "lemon" is concerned, I don't think a few issues qualify it as a lemon. It's just that I traded an '02 Rendezvous (mine since new) with over 100,000 miles and it was perfect throughout the ownership experience. That's what I was expecting, and I'm disappointed that I didn't get it.

john d
06-09-07, 06:29 PM
Kael - forget the "performance" factor in your decision process if it's been reflashed, or if not, if it's ever going to see a Cadillac service department again.
If you have the time and interest read my posts on 0-60 V8 Awd. Last post was 8/11/06 with 16 pages of my reports and our Forum buddies input. Go to the last post and peel backward on the pages to the first post then read forward. Let me know what you think.
It's had over 13,300 views.
With over 13k reads I suspect everyone at Cadillac Motor Division has read it.
I figure I paid an extra $10k for the performance, that was taken away after owning the SRX for about a year. Taken in a reflash with no warning, advisement OR refund.
I tried the Lemon Law thing but since it wasn't a safety issue I was turned down for any buy back or restitution....GM called it a "redesign" and therefore not illegal.
So now, I'm buying premium gas, paying V8 insurance rates and getting less than V6 performance.
Other than that ...I love the car.
I'll never again buy a GM product based on performance.

KMO
06-09-07, 08:39 PM
I own an '04 SRX V6 2WD. I have the 3rd row option, but no sun roof. I had a recurring issue, but it turned out to be a connector... and the only issue was the dealships inability to diagnose it. To their credit, it was treated royally every time with a new CTS or STS to drive when it was in. They escalated it to GM's "uber" techs and corrected it about 12K ago. All this said, we love the vehicle... period. Having driven the CTS a few times, it isn't as peppy with the same 3.6, but for a "sporty grocery getter" I have no issues with the acceleration... (not a whole lot of acceleration after 110ish - LOL)...
Bottom line... is if you were me... I would buy it with one caveat. Get them to CPO (certified pre-owned) it, or get an extended waranty. It only has 31K on it, but having that piece of mind is worth it. I have an extended waranty to 100K through AAA and just had a check engine light stay on... ended up being a thermostat... part was less than $100 but labor was around $400... that is what it would have cost, but the waranty covered it all and I have 61K miles on mine.

robhersch
06-09-07, 09:51 PM
Kael - forget the "performance" factor in your decision process if it's been reflashed, or if not, if it's ever going to see a Cadillac service department again.
If you have the time and interest read my posts on 0-60 V8 Awd. Last post was 8/11/06 with 16 pages of my reports and our Forum buddies input. Go to the last post and peel backward on the pages to the first post then read forward. Let me know what you think.
It's had over 13,300 views.So now, I'm buying premium gas, paying V8 insurance rates and getting less than V6 performance.
Other than that ...I love the car.

I really thank all of you who commented on the "reflash issue".
Based on your comments last year, I concluded the "reflash" was "designed to mitigate" the old problem of mechanical gear wear/ gear backlash probable when all 4 wheels are driven through 3 distinct gear differentials with no "slippage" as is probable with drives using belts, variable pitch pulleys, or chains.
The gear wear/ backlash is surely more pronounced when tires are big, wide, and driven on hard surface roads. Remember when "jeeps and most 4 wheel drives" were connected for "off road use only" in terrain that allows slippage between the tires and their contact with the road.
In any case, we were never notified by GM that our 2005 N*V8 RWD SRX was to be recalled for "reflash" even though our dealer said that his computer said it should be done on all V8s. I declined in writing - and continue to refuse until I am specifically notified by GM in writing that failure to reflash would affect my warranty; I argue reflashing creates a "potential driving hazard" based on your forum talk and it specifically impacts the ability to quickly decelerate with "foot off pedal" in heavy traffic and become a hazardous driving condition.
We have yet to receive any "reflash" notices; and our N*V8 RWD SRX still seems to perform as originally advertised!! We love our SRX!!

Playdrv4me
06-11-07, 05:12 PM
Do a little searching. You ought to be able to find a fully loaded 04 V8 Magnaride with Nav for that much money.