: Rear air shock replacement

smilinlarry
06-07-07, 12:21 PM
The air shocks on my '02 Escalade are leaking...Is this a fairly straight forward job or are there some tricks I need to know before I get started with the repair?
Thanks!
Steve

Caddydude420
06-07-07, 09:29 PM
I need to know as well. As far as I can tell it's just like replacing and shocks. The only reason its so expensive to get it done at a dealer or mechanic is because each shock has a list price of $700. They probably figure that you have an escalade or a denali, you can afford to pay a little more (For example, see Strut Grilles)

cadillac_tech
06-07-07, 10:50 PM
No special procedure. I would recommend supporting by the frame and then use a jack to hold and move the axle while changing.
They are overly expensive due to the built in actuator for the electronic suspension control and because of the air ride. I'm surprised to hear of any leaking. I think I've only replaced three of these in five years, not for leaking either.

smilinlarry
06-08-07, 09:54 AM
The dealer told me that mine needed to be replaced when my truck was in for an oil change. They did a road test because I asked them to check out why the truck was pulling to the right and noticed that the rear end was bouncing around more than normal. I've noticed that the compressor doesn't seem to cycle as much and the rear end is a bit lower than normal, however I don't hear any leaking from the shocks. Wouldn't the compressor cycle more often if there was a leak?
Steve

DLE
06-08-07, 10:26 AM
On my last oil change about a month ago, the dealer told me one of the rear shocks is leaking too.

Anyways, i'm at 47K miles on my 04 lade. He told me on my next oil change to remind him and he'll get that fix under warranty. :thumbsup: