: Zune Install

darthcaddy
06-07-07, 10:29 AM
Has anyone installed a Zune to their Escalade? How and what adapter did you use? I have an '04 ESV. Thanks.

Playdrv4me
06-07-07, 10:33 AM
As far as I know probably only the very newest aftermarket HU's can control the Zune... it doesnt have real wide acceptance yet.

To connect my ipod to the factory headunit in my 03, I just use a plain old cassette adapter which works perfectly, with excellent sound compared to that FM transmitter bullshit.

If you want to go more professional, there are adapters out there, I believe from PAC and some other companies, that allow you to hijack the XM or CD Changer input and give you a set of switchable AUX jacks to plug straight into. The factory radio connector piggy backs onto this adapter, and then the adapter plugs into the radio. Then it has a selector switch (XM/Aux, CDC/Aux) and AUX jacks you can mount in an inconspicuous location.

Caddydude420
06-07-07, 09:45 PM
I'm kinda in the same boat. Right now I have a dinosaur (Creative Zen Xtra...it's 60 gigs and I've had it for4 years now) just going through a ghetto tape adapter. When I was using my little 4 gig player it kept spitting out the tape. Luckily it's been working and staying. I'm in the market for a new mp3 player and I've always been anti iPod but since its basically the only thing that will work well with most radios I'm thinking about going over to the darkside.

The only mp3 player that you might be able to control from the radio is the iPod. Otherwise you just have to get some sort of converter to get you a headphone jack and use that. I'm probably just going to save my money and put it into a carputer. Get the best of everything right there.

darthcaddy
06-08-07, 02:00 AM
I'm kinda in the same boat. Right now I have a dinosaur (Creative Zen Xtra...it's 60 gigs and I've had it for4 years now) just going through a ghetto tape adapter. When I was using my little 4 gig player it kept spitting out the tape. Luckily it's been working and staying. I'm in the market for a new mp3 player and I've always been anti iPod but since its basically the only thing that will work well with most radios I'm thinking about going over to the darkside.

The only mp3 player that you might be able to control from the radio is the iPod. Otherwise you just have to get some sort of converter to get you a headphone jack and use that. I'm probably just going to save my money and put it into a carputer. Get the best of everything right there.

I have the factory Nav system so I can't even use the tape adapter. I'm going to try hooking up the Zune AV cable that plugs into the Zune headphone to the factory RSE (rear seat entertainment) this weekend. I'll just have to get used to the hanging wires from the RSE.

93civEJ1
08-15-08, 02:59 PM
bump on this thread. I would also like to know about a zune install in a pre 07 Ext.

Caddydude420
08-17-08, 09:27 PM
I have an Pioneer Avic-D3 double din screen. I have a zune home dock kit hooked up to AUX 1 RCA's in the back. To power it, I split another cigarette lighter behind the dash with a cigarette lighter -> USB adapter. The wires do through the cubby hole. I was going to make a stand for it, but I just have it sitting in my cupholder. I had the remote, but I lost it after a road trip.

Would I do it again? The Zune doesn't allow any more freedom of multiple formats than an ipod. Ideally I'd go with the newest Creative Labs Player - the Zen x-FI (http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=17811&WT.cg_n=Campaigns&WT.mc_id=15778) Otherwise I'd go with an ipod with the pioneer ipod cable. You can control the ipod on the dash and the steering wheel. It's only one wire and you dont have to worry about lost connections. The home dock is made to be used in a house. Bumps stop the music, it's even worse when you're trying to watch a movie. You have to go through the menus to go TV-out and use a non-amplified cable. Only reason I'd go ipod over zune is because of the limited accessories of the X-FI and steering wheel controls.

93civEJ1
08-18-08, 12:44 AM
thanks, I was mainly speaking with factory stereo installation...PS...there is a way you can use your zune using the aux input on the back of a pioneer and a home made wire...Its what i currently use in my Toyota with a Pioneer Premiere deck....but for the EXT im staying with the factory setup.

93civEJ1
08-25-08, 05:27 PM
want more knowledge on getting this to work with factory Bose / Nav deck.

WaynesNside
08-27-08, 10:37 PM
I have an 06 and I installed the iSimple PXAMG with the GM5 harness in mine and I have the factory Nav. I have the IPOD hooked up but you can also install another audio source with a mini plug or RCAs.

Check it out works real good and sounds perfect. I got mine off of Ebay with the harness.