: 2005 STS Street Impressions

landa220
04-05-04, 10:47 PM
Okay today I saw my first 2005 STS on the street.

In my rearview mirror it took me by surprise because I initially thought it was a black CTS, until I noticed the headlights looked different. Since I've seen the pictures, I knew what it was though.

It was black and dirty, but it still didn't pack as much of a "punch" as a CTS does. As it went by me and sitting at the light, it really looks like a cross between the CTS and DTS. It might look better clean, but it will have to grow on me. In person it wasn't bad; just not earth shattering as I too had hoped.

After reading the specs and features, I think they're really going to rely on this being the usual technological showpiece for GM. Good Luck.

Take it easy guys.

Brett
04-05-04, 10:56 PM
seeing these cars early has to be the best part of living in MI :)

Caddy Man
04-06-04, 03:04 AM
Okay today I saw my first 2005 STS on the street.

In my rearview mirror it took me by surprise because I initially thought it was a black CTS, until I noticed the headlights looked different. Since I've seen the pictures, I knew what it was though.

It was black and dirty, but it still didn't pack as much of a "punch" as a CTS does. As it went by me and sitting at the light, it really looks like a cross between the CTS and DTS. It might look better clean, but it will have to grow on me. In person it wasn't bad; just not earth shattering as I too had hoped.

After reading the specs and features, I think they're really going to rely on this being the usual technological showpiece for GM. Good Luck.

Take it easy guys.
i dont see how it looks like a DTS in anyway...the way i see it, it looks like a cross btwn a CTS and an SRX (front end).

BeelzeBob
04-06-04, 09:14 AM

And that's what worries most Cadillac owners.. Let's see if they can make these technologies work for extended periods of time... Maybe then the resale value will stay up...

landa220
04-06-04, 10:32 AM
i dont see how it looks like a DTS in anyway...the way i see it, it looks like a cross btwn a CTS and an SRX (front end).

It's just when viewing from the rear (even in the pictures) it looks real similar to a "narrow" DTS. The tail lights are more similar to the DTS than I'd like. I guess I was hoping for a more traditional horizontal STS/Seville upgrade or even an Eldorado/XLR slim tail light or something.

We'll see. These things have a tendency to grow on us.

calypso
04-08-04, 01:06 AM
I’m also disappointed with the design of the new sts. I was hoping for a similar evolution like the ’98 sts was from the ’97. The horizontal headlights were a defining feature that I will also miss. The front turn signals on the new car are out of place and just plain ugly. The rear end looks way too much like that of a Deville. If Cadillac wants to attract younger buyers, designing new cars to look like any Deville is a dumb thing to do.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the styling of the cts, but that is a different car. Making a toned down version of that car was not the way to go about designing the new sts. IMO they should have used the design of the xlr as a base and incorporated elements from old Seville’s that have made them stand out for over a decade.

I don’t want to judge the interior too much until I see it up close but it looks pretty boring. Also, why does the center console have two slits? I guess one is for cd media and the other for dvd, certainly not the most elegant way of going about it. Another thing I noticed was that the rear armrest had permanent cup holders unlike current cars that can conceal them.

2004_SRX_
04-08-04, 01:10 AM
This car grew on me and I haven't even seen it in person yet. Just the new pictures and TV appearances have me hyped. It looks different from any other Caddy model, but not enough to seperate it from the company. It is truly gorgeous, representing everything the company has come to. I love it and can't wait to check it out in NY next week.

landa220
04-08-04, 08:35 PM
Okay guys,

I just got home and today I saw two more on the road. Obviously they've passed them out to the execs recently.

I saw a silver one and just now a reddish/burgundy one. Both were clean. Since it was twilight here the latter one had it's lights on.

I have to say, they looked great! I think they are growing on me already. They definitely look quite a bit "richer" than the CTS as well as just more substantial. The rear end looked great with the lights on. I'm glad to see this since I thought this was the part I wouldn't care for.

I recently read Lutz had his hands on this one to "soften" the edginess (sp). I'm not sure I cared for that move. The Art/Science move was working well. But the two I saw today did look nice. I just don't know if they're ready to have people pay upwards of 60K+ plus as I'm hearing they could run when equipped.

Take it easy folks.

CoupeDevilleRob
04-10-04, 11:45 AM
I saw one in person yesterday at the NY Auto Show. I think it looks great. I'm not a huge fan of the CTS, I think it looks too extreme. The STS, and SRX, have nailed the art and science look. The interior looks awesome, I didn't think GM was capable of creating something that nice.

People have to stop comparing it to the Seville. It's a totally different car now, it wasn't supposed to evolve from anything. There were Cadillac reps all around the display soliciting comments and feedback and I didn't here anything negative. I think it will be a big hit.

Caddy Man
04-11-04, 01:45 PM
only thing im afraid of is the people that are goin to mistake it for a CTS and i KNOW they will because not everyone is that into cadillacs that knows all the little differences.

c5 rv
04-11-04, 08:17 PM
I saw a gray STS with Michigan "M" plates headed east on the Ohio Turnpike today. In the mirror, it looked like a CTS, except something wasn't quite right with the grille and lights. As it passed me I realized what it was. The rear quarter looks, as someone else mentioned, like a cross between a current STS and a CTS. I pointed it out to my wife and she said I could buy one.

rueben44
04-12-04, 01:14 AM
Humm Cadillac hasn't been the brand that has had a problem keeping there electronic gadgets working that duty has been on other premium brands which I will not mention. The value was down because of body quality (how it was put together and quality of parts) and being used in fleet services. It had nothing to do with electrical problems.

Caddy Man
04-12-04, 12:16 PM
see what i mean, everyone thinks it was a CTS when they first saw it...that shouldnt happen with teh new STS. :rolleyes2