: Painting stock rims??

RamAir02
06-06-07, 10:52 AM
I curbed my right rear wheel a few weeks ago and it really has been p*ssing me off. I'm thinking about doing the "curb rash fix" on the FAQ and then painting the wheels black. Has anybody painted their wheels? I know there are plenty of members with black rims, but I always figured they were powdercoated. Well powdercoating is expensive as well as being a pain in the ass (down time with my only car). So basically I was wondering who has painted their wheels, and what is the best method to do so...

Just off the top of my head, I'm thinking sand with 400 and work my way up to maybe 1200 grit sand paper. Then prime, paint with flat black? semi gloss black? and then clear coat? I really don't know too much about spray paint...

I appreciate any help you guys can provide.

The Tony Show
06-06-07, 11:33 AM
Don't do flat- I know some people love it, but the wheels just look dirty all the time. I say if you're going to go with black, do full gloss.

RamAir02
06-06-07, 04:03 PM
What paint would you guys recommend? If someone could give me a quick walkthrough on how to do this and what materials to use it would be extremely helpful.

Silver Dollar
06-06-07, 06:26 PM
I don't know why you couldn't use a rattle can to paint your wheels if you took your time and did the proper prep work.

Of course, they could look like ass when you're done too............

1QUICKV
06-06-07, 08:52 PM
listen when i first got my car i did the same thing. But i got a little air brush air ($50) and ordered the paint ($50) pint. i sanded the wheel with an 80grit..... Then i filled the the little wholes in with plastic. After that i sanded primed and then painted and cleared! It came out good but now i've been lazy and i want to de-mount all wheels and paint them all over really good. what i did was a touch up job. i now need to do other spots and i'm better just painted the whole wheel. But i would have to see your rim to tell you if you need plactic filler. "sand prime paint clear" good to go!

The Hog
06-06-07, 11:38 PM
Here is how you do it:

Prep them with 330 wet, don't go any finer
clean them up with acetone
shoot a coat of PPG DP Primer/Sealer
Shoot a few coats of any decent paint

I went with a PPG Acrylic Enamel that was a nice single stage setup. It covers well and you don't have to deal with the nightmare of trying to shoot clear on a wheel (run city). The wheels are easy, the center caps are the only tricky part at all. You need to peel the clear plastic away from the backing, prep them, and shoot them from the backside. Anyway they turned out like this....

http://a827.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/51/l_277eee6e9264f509271a164a9437d8ba.jpg

http://a742.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/4/l_f567f585c72506f77f11674356d3380d.jpg

ahahnu
06-06-07, 11:42 PM
The latewst Hot Rod has an article on painting a car for less then $100. Maybe you could get a tip form there.

CTSV_Rob
06-07-07, 12:54 AM
Here is how you do it:

Prep them with 330 wet, don't go any finer
clean them up with acetone
shoot a coat of PPG DP Primer/Sealer
Shoot a few coats of any decent paint

I went with a PPG Acrylic Enamel that was a nice single stage setup. It covers well and you don't have to deal with the nightmare of trying to shoot clear on a wheel (run city). The wheels are easy, the center caps are the only tricky part at all. You need to peel the clear plastic away from the backing, prep them, and shoot them from the backside. Anyway they turned out like this....

http://a827.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/51/l_277eee6e9264f509271a164a9437d8ba.jpg

http://a742.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/4/l_f567f585c72506f77f11674356d3380d.jpg
I really like the color and from the pic it looks like you did a professional job.

BTW, How did you match the center caps?

LV_V
06-07-07, 01:09 AM
How exactly did you "peel the clear plastic away" on the centercaps? Did you have to heat them at all? Just use a flathead???

Silver Dollar
06-07-07, 07:52 AM
You did a great job on those wheels!

The latewst Hot Rod has an article on painting a car for less then $100. Maybe you could get a tip form there.

I was going to mention that. They paint an old Ford Falcon with Rustolium and a paint roller. After numerous coats and mutiple sandings they say it's a pretty good "5 foot" paint job. Their total out-of-pocket was ~$130.

The Hog
06-07-07, 11:26 AM
How exactly did you "peel the clear plastic away" on the centercaps? Did you have to heat them at all? Just use a flathead???

I basically just used a flathead and peeled the damn things apart. They actually came apart surprisingly easy. When I was all done I just used some epoxy to stick em back together

JMBCTSV
06-07-07, 12:09 PM
Love the black wheel look, I am a bit biased . . . see avatar

v-ape
06-10-07, 02:15 PM
I havent seen what painted CTS-V rims look like in person, but from pics they seem alright. I decided to go with the accessory wheels tho.

I got all my curbed wheels on ebay now :)

Chef
06-10-07, 11:57 PM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l78/ChefsVenom/FIRE1.jpg

Old and dirty...Go for the powder...It's cheap and will last & will also take a beating...

RamAir02
06-11-07, 09:21 AM
Chef, what'd you pay to get your wheels powdercoated? Can they fix minor curb rash before powdercoating as well?

Chef
06-11-07, 10:19 AM
Check around in your area to see what pricing you can get but $50.00-$100.00 a wheel is out there.

Also, there's wheel exchange guys that can do a set for you so you don't go without your car. The wheels come in coated and you send them back your stockers.

Good luck:thumbsup:

RamAir02
06-12-07, 12:41 PM
Did you have the entire wheel powdercoated? (like the inside of it too?) Also, what color did you use? A Gloss Black? Everyone around me wants $150+ per wheel grr! :mad2:

Do you have any links to the exchange places that will do powdercoating? Maybe it will come out cheaper...

RamAir02
06-13-07, 01:24 PM
bump...

chef i need you!:thumbsup: