: brakes on fire

pinnacle71
06-06-07, 08:48 AM
I need some advice, please.

At my last track event, I got meatballed because my left rear brakes caught fire.

After close inpection, I didn't see any visible damage - not even any sign that there was a fire.

I need to keep this from happening again. My plan is to clean the brakes after every run. What else can I do? I know anything will ignite at a high enough temperature, but what the hell was on fire - what would catch first? Pads? Rubber seals? I have SS lines.

Thanks,
--Greg

The Tony Show
06-06-07, 09:01 AM
Pads probably went up. Your best bet would probably be some dedicated track pads from a company like Hawk or EBC.

pinnacle71
06-06-07, 11:14 AM
Pads probably went up. Your best bet would probably be some dedicated track pads from a company like Hawk or EBC.

I'm running Hawk HPS. Maybe I'll switch to race compound - I already change wheels, so it won't be too much more time before/after.

The Tony Show
06-06-07, 11:32 AM
I'd also upgrade your fluid to keep fluid temps down. I've seen quite a few people running one or two year old fluid that boiled at the track due to moisture sneaking in there. More heat in the fluid = more heat in the calipers, which leads to fade and perhaps fire. Here's just one of many links: Click me (http://www.stoptech.com/products/brake_fluid.shtml)

I apologize if you already know this, I'm just throwing ideas out for you. :thumbsup:

lunarx
06-06-07, 12:30 PM
I'd also upgrade your fluid to keep fluid temps down. I've seen quite a few people running one or two year old fluid that boiled at the track due to moisture sneaking in there. More heat in the fluid = more heat in the calipers, which leads to fade and perhaps fire. Here's just one of many links: Click me (http://www.stoptech.com/products/brake_fluid.shtml)

I apologize if you already know this, I'm just throwing ideas out for you. :thumbsup:
Don't ask me how I know about 1 year old fluid boiling at the track. :alchi:
Do follow Tonys advice there.

I once saw a Honda that I was chasing down generate sparks under braking.
No one had any idea what it was.
He had track marshals caution him about it and I confirmed that I saw it also.
I can only imagine it was a small fluid leak that ignited when it dripped onto the hot rotor.
Leak was small enough that his pedal still felt firm.
It could have been from bleed screw or more likely piston seal (since no one could see it).

If your front pads are not igniting I see no reason why the rears would, unless they are different compounds.

The Tony Show
06-06-07, 01:00 PM
You could also have a caliper binding up in the rear (the one that caught fire, obviously...)

Could be a bad caliper, or maybe an ABS problem. The ABS system on these cars have a "self-bleed" feature you can activate with a tech2. Perhaps you should do that before you bleed your brakes when you change the fluid.

pinnacle71
06-06-07, 01:05 PM
Thanks, Tony - no apologies necessary:)

I was running fresh fluid, but not my preference. I was out of Motul and settled for the best that AutoZone had in stock. I didn't get any fade; in fact the brakes felt as good as ever. I do plan to flush my fluid before the next event - I do so fairly frequently. I never thought about how lesser fluid could transfer more heat. Thanks

lunarx
06-06-07, 01:32 PM
You could also have a caliper binding up in the rear (the one that caught fire, obviously...)

Could be a bad caliper, or maybe an ABS problem. The ABS system on these cars have a "self-bleed" feature you can activate with a tech2. Perhaps you should do that before you bleed your brakes when you change the fluid.
There is lots of talk about tech-2's.
What are options for obtaining one?
Are there aftermarket equivalents to the official GM one?

dvandentop
06-06-07, 01:52 PM
yeah unfortunately they go for about 2 grand for a tech 2

V-Max
06-06-07, 03:10 PM
Gee Greg, sound like you were really smokin. :)

Norm

pinnacle71
06-06-07, 03:25 PM
Gee Greg, sound like you were really smokin. :)

Norm

Hey Norm - How are you doing? What are you driving these days? Last I remember you had a GTO. Any chance I'll see you at Watkins Glen sometime?

--Greg

trukk
06-06-07, 04:47 PM
Hey Norm - How are you doing? What are you driving these days? Last I remember you had a GTO. Any chance I'll see you at Watkins Glen sometime?

--Greg

I need to see both of you guys at VIR, now that I'm no longer getting based by Maxima's on the track.

-Chris

lunarx
06-06-07, 05:19 PM
yeah unfortunately they go for about 2 grand for a tech 2

Do you know where to buy a fully operational (with CTS software) Tech 2 for 2 grand?
I would consider one at that price, as I have seen them costing closer to 3 grand.
Yes, I hate dealers that much (Lindsay excluded).

Dennisscars
06-06-07, 11:48 PM
Usually the fronts do most of the work.

What state was the stabiltrac in? If you were sloshing it about the car could have been over working the rear brakes without your input.

V-Max
06-07-07, 12:04 AM
Greg can drive and probably had everthing off.

The C5 is much cheaper to operate for the 15-20 track days a year. I'll be at Calabogie in Canada the first of next month and mid Ohio the second weekend. I was at both vir and wg at the end of April. Both are fun tracks to stretch the torque curve. :)

Norm

Usually the fronts do most of the work.

What state was the stabiltrac in? If you were sloshing it about the car could have been over working the rear brakes without your input.

JMBCTSV
06-07-07, 07:20 AM
Running a full SCCA National team with both a Corvette and a CTS-V the above statement couldn't be furhter from the truth. V's are built with top of the line parts, very cheap to run, PM me for suggestions if you have specific Qs.

pinnacle71
06-07-07, 04:10 PM
I need to see both of you guys at VIR, now that I'm no longer getting based by Maxima's on the track.

-Chris

Hey Chris - hope you're doing well. I moved to Boston, a trip to VIR would be tough - but that track is almost worth it.

--Greg