: Clunking noise coming from rear 2003 Escalade

Pkonka
06-05-07, 09:02 PM
Hi All,

I was wondering if someone can help me... I'm running into a brick wall with my dealership.

I own a 2003 Cadillac Escalade AWD. About a month and a half ago I started hearing a wierd cluinking noise. Sounds like it is coming from the rear. It happens when I am at a complete stop and I give it gas to kind of get up and go.... To best describe the clunking noise, it kind of sounds like something is moving back and fourth really fast.

Cadillac of Norwood in Norwood, Massachusetts repalced the rear drivers side trailing arm (i guess it holds the rear end in place). They call me and tell me it's all done. I come by and test drive the vehicle before I sign any paper work and still same problem. They say they can't find anything abnormal. When I went back and test drove it with the "shop foreman", he calims that the noise I hear it "drive train lag" and there is nothing they can do to fix it...

I can't accept that answer only because i've had the truck for a year and a half never up until a month ago, I never felt/heard this.

The warranty would not cover the rental because they claim there is nothing wrong.... So I took my truck back... About 5mph i did a u-turn and noticed a wierd squeak/clunk noise coming from the rear....it sounds like it is coming from the rear end....

Again, the dealership ship said it is normal drive train lag....Nothing they can do about it.

Again, I can't accept that answer because a year and a half, I never had this problem....I feel that the truck is making a noise, i have a warranty....it should be fixed...

Any advice would greatly be appreciated!!..

Thank you,

FRISBEE
06-06-07, 12:20 AM
It could be a number of things due the fact there is so many components in the drivetrain. First thought is it may need some limited slip additive in the rear diff. If you serviced the rearend recently they may have used some fluid the did'nt have enough of the additive.Second the pinion nut may have backed off or the crush sleeve is worn (how many miles?) also check the transfercase pinions also I've seen those losen up too.

hcvone
06-06-07, 07:12 AM
Have you changed the rear fluid? That is where I would start, not changing or checking the fluid level has ruined many rears. :)

srt
06-06-07, 09:00 AM
I had the same problem on my 00' Denali. I never got it fixed, cause I bought my escalade, but look for the other postings. I also read about guys saying it was the rear diff fluid. I would never ever ever go to the dealership. Why.....???? cause the same thing happened to me whith my denali. They said" oh there's nothing wrong with it". So beware of the car rapist!

cadillac_tech
06-06-07, 11:34 AM
pkonka,
Is this a sharp 'tink' noise or 'squawk' . The first being one of the rear control (trailing) arms, and the second might be the rear drive shaft slip yoke. Whatever it is, you know it wasn't there before and the dealer should fix it.

outofdablue
06-06-07, 11:46 AM
I had a denali with the same problem also. It sounds like the slip yolk. Usually they just re-lube the slip yolk and the sounds goes away. But like everything Gm, its just a temporary fix and once the lube dries out the sound comes right back. They should have a service bulletin on this, very common in Gm trucks.

Playdrv4me
06-07-07, 10:40 AM
Go to a different dealer. If they tell you the same thing, your gonna need to go to an independent rear end shop to get it diagnosed.

trodder
02-15-10, 10:30 PM
by chance did this noise you describe here almost sound like a machine gun? Was it pretty loud? Like hear it even if the radio is up pretty loud? Did you ever get it resolved?

06Caddykeith
02-16-10, 01:43 AM
i wonder if its not a transmissin mount issue. Is it a huge bang like metal on metal and you can feel it in the vehicle? What if you have it in gear, hold the brake and giver a quick shot of gas (IE brake torque)? I would crawl under and make sure the tranny sits on the mount nicely and the bolts are good and tight. Just another thing for you to try/check.