: Alignment w/ GC/FG2

Seattle CTS-V
06-05-07, 03:12 PM
I am going to have a shop do an alignment on my car as I haven't had it realigned since installing the GC kit. I was browsing the FAQ on alignment specs and have a question since I'm not very knowledgable about this procedure. I assume the specs listed in the FAQ are for FE4/FG2 shocks with the stock springs. With my car lowered and stiffer springs (550F/600R) do these settings still apply? I'd like to run an aggressive street alignment since I do some track days but not so many I want to sacrafice daily driving and tire wear. Is anyone else w/ my setup know their alignment specs?

Thanks!

thebigjimsho
06-05-07, 04:05 PM
Just use the FAQ's aggressive street settings...

ronr
06-05-07, 04:11 PM
Just use the FAQ's aggressive street settings...

That's what I did with GC 600/650, FG2, Hot bars

Seattle CTS-V
06-05-07, 04:21 PM
Thanks guys!

CTSV_Rob
06-05-07, 05:33 PM
That's what I did with GC 600/650, FG2, Hot bars

How do you like that setup? Did you have the FG2's before the mod and if so what kind of change did you notice with the ground control and the sway bars?

ronr
06-05-07, 07:43 PM
How do you like that setup? Did you have the FG2's before the mod and if so what kind of change did you notice with the ground control and the sway bars?

I like it a lot. I originally had the FE4's and switched to FG2's which was a profound difference. Then added the hot bars which also made a very noticible difference (especially in transitions) but not as pronounced as the FE4-FG2 change. Then added the GC kit to the mix which was probably the least noticible in terms of handling difference (as an addition to the other 2 changes) but certainly the most pronounced in terms of the change in stance of the car. I also went to the "aggressive street" alignment specs from the FAQ site when I did the GC which was a big improvement.

My FG2's are now leaking in the front and I'm not sure if this is due to the lowering or just because of 1 too many track days (I've got 44k miles on the car with probably all but 10 of those on the FG2's and I do one road course event a year). Since I have to replace the front FG2's and GM won't sell me just the fronts I'm trying to decide if I want to go to the Apex-kSport kit, dnd, Penske, wait for the KW kit that should be out any time now (the infamous aftermarket 2 week promise date passed a week ago) or wait for a set of FG2's to show up on ebay at a reasonable price.

calicadi
06-05-07, 11:57 PM
You want to test drive mine? (We should have done this at Hooters!) I've got the FG2's, Hotchkis, GC(500/550), and at least a semi-aggressive alignment plus 265's all-around.

(Sorry Seattle... didn't mean to jack. Rob you can PM me.)

CTSV_Rob
06-06-07, 12:29 AM
You want to test drive mine? (We should have done this at Hooters!) I've got the FG2's, Hotchkis, GC(500/550), and at least a semi-aggressive alignment plus 265's all-around.
Yes I would, it seems like you and ronr have a respectable setup.

Are we still planning to set up a Dyno day with the shop we found out about at Hooters? I am waiting for the headers and then I need a weekend to get them installed. Once the headers are installed I will be ready to get the V tuned! If we do this and I see you there maybe I could test drive your car while they are working on one of the other rides.

Thank you for the offer. :thumbsup:

Seattle CTS-V
06-06-07, 03:25 PM
My FG2's are now leaking in the front and I'm not sure if this is due to the lowering or just because of 1 too many track days (I've got 44k miles on the car with probably all but 10 of those on the FG2's and I do one road course event a year).

Hmmm, I had a front FG2 blow out after lowering the car on the GC setup. I had only put one auto-x event on the setup. Wonder if there is a link.

calicadi
06-06-07, 09:52 PM
Hmmm, I had a front FG2 blow out after lowering the car on the GC setup. I had only put one auto-x event on the setup. Wonder if there is a link.
Could be, but that hasn't been my case. FG2's went on 10/27/05. Ran two autox's. GC went on 7/29/06. Fifteen auto'xs since then. No leakage detected.

Seattle CTS-V
06-08-07, 04:45 AM
I took the car to a shop to do an alignment today. After about 90 minutes of waiting the tech came out and told me he couldn't do the "Aggressive Street" settings from the FAQ. He said the car was too low. He also was only able to do the right side of the car in those 90 minutes. Since I was already late and he was estimating at least another hour, he recommended I take the car and just come back another day...though he still wouldn't be able to get the car to where I wanted it. So, I took the car and drove it to my appointment. The car seems to track sorta ok. I didnt feel like I was in danger or anything. But the steering wheel is pointed to the left about 15 degrees when the car is going straight. Car is going into the dealership in the morning for a new diff so I'll just have them put the car back to a stock alignment and look for a more reputable alignment shop in the future.

ronr
06-08-07, 11:05 AM
I took the car to a shop to do an alignment today. After about 90 minutes of waiting the tech came out and told me he couldn't do the "Aggressive Street" settings from the FAQ. He said the car was too low. He also was only able to do the right side of the car in those 90 minutes. Since I was already late and he was estimating at least another hour, he recommended I take the car and just come back another day...though he still wouldn't be able to get the car to where I wanted it. So, I took the car and drove it to my appointment. The car seems to track sorta ok. I didnt feel like I was in danger or anything. But the steering wheel is pointed to the left about 15 degrees when the car is going straight. Car is going into the dealership in the morning for a new diff so I'll just have them put the car back to a stock alignment and look for a more reputable alignment shop in the future.

Find someone that knows what their doing to have your alignment done. This guy clearly doesn't have a clue. My dealership had no trouble at all. The only thing they felt compelled to do with this alignment was put a note on the bottom of the alignment printout informing me that they weren't responsible for strange tire wear.

Seattle CTS-V
06-08-07, 12:09 PM
Find someone that knows what their doing to have your alignment done. This guy clearly doesn't have a clue. My dealership had no trouble at all. The only thing they felt compelled to do with this alignment was put a note on the bottom of the alignment printout informing me that they weren't responsible for strange tire wear.

The guy that tried doing mine showed me that the inside of my driver's side front tire was nearly bald from driving around w/o a good alignment.

psycho43142
06-13-07, 10:08 PM
Lowered you should be able to get really aggressive, at stock height I have 1.6 deg neg camber, 5.5 deg pos caster, .08 deg toe out up front, 2.0 deg neg camber, .12 deg toe in on the rear. This is with stock springs and is nuetral to loose. Contact members of your local region of the scca that AX and ask for recomendations on a good shop to get the alignment done.

Chris

Seattle CTS-V
06-14-07, 12:38 PM
I took the car into a different Les Schwab in Kirkland and the guy had no problem getting the alignment specs to those I wanted. Guess the first guy just got lazy. I had him also put on a pair of new Toyo T1-R's in 245 to replace the worn front tires. Man this car drives great now. The car used to pull pretty badly in the ruts on the highway and now it pretty much tracks straight. I've had T1-S tires on my last car and loved them. These T1-R seem even better...and so very, very quiet compared to the worn GS-D3's. I'm going back to have the rear camber increased a little and then I think it'll be perfect. They will do free adjustments for 30 days to help you get everything dialed in!

thebigjimsho
06-14-07, 01:38 PM
The only shop to ever do alignments on the V just said 4 hours to do the aggressive street alignment.:mad:

As George H W Bush used to say "Not gonna do it."

Seattle CTS-V
06-15-07, 01:23 PM
It took about 2.5 hours for them to do mine.

Seattle CTS-V
06-15-07, 01:25 PM
Just got back from having the rears realigned. This thing handles like a dream now. I'm such a fool for not getting it aligned right after the GC kit. The Toe was waaaaay off in the front and ruined 2 GSD3s plus led to horrible tracking in hwy ruts. The car just feels so good now...and far more stable at high speeds.

ZEUSROTTY
06-15-07, 05:07 PM
Just got back from having the rears realigned. This thing handles like a dream now. I'm such a fool for not getting it aligned right after the GC kit. The Toe was waaaaay off in the front and ruined 2 GSD3s plus led to horrible tracking in hwy ruts. The car just feels so good now...and far more stable at high speeds.

what did they end up setting it to?

Seattle CTS-V
06-15-07, 06:41 PM
The 'Aggressive Alignment' settings in the FAQ.

ZEUSROTTY
06-15-07, 07:01 PM
takin mine in monday...

AAIIIC
08-09-07, 10:04 AM
Are these cars a real PITA to align? My other two cars are both MacPherson strut suspension, so the alignment is pretty simple and quick. I can go to Sears, give them the numbers I want, and they can dial it in and show me the print-out.

Seattle CTS-V said it took them 2.5hr to do his alignment, which is quite a bit more than I'm used to. The longer/harder it is to do the alignment, the more inclined I am to find a shop that really knows what they're doing rather than trusting Sears or one of the tire chains to do it.