: K & N Filter

EGSJR
06-05-07, 02:29 PM
Looking for an honest assessment from anyone that has installed a K & N filter on their SRX V-8. Actual improvement or not?

donjumpsuit
06-05-07, 03:44 PM
Run, don't walk to purchase and install one.

I don't know how much more of an assessment you want. I had a two year old filter, after changing to the K&N i noticed a marked improvement in acceleration. However, I am no horsepower meter, and saying it was a 1% increase (3.2 horses?) would it be noticeable? How much of an increase is noticeable? I don't know, I know that it is worth twice the price I paid for the filter. Others will tell you about a gas mileage improvement, in my hands there has been no improvement. However I am an extreme lead foot, therefore know my horsepower, and am less familiar with gas mileage.

TSS
06-05-07, 05:26 PM
Run, don't walk to purchase and install one.

Ditto. No B.S. Really GMJim, NO B.S.!

ckrichards
06-06-07, 08:03 AM
I agree. There is an improvement in both throttle response and mileage.

BMBLBEE
06-09-07, 05:49 AM
Does the K&N also improve performance on the V6?

terryk
06-09-07, 10:34 AM
I've used K&N filters on many engines over the years and have concluded there isn't much if any improvement to be had other than at wide open throttle since they tend to flow better for the same surface area, but the flip side is the filter doesn't filter as well as normal paper filters until they get a bit dirty. Once they are dirty enough to filter the same, the flow is pretty much the same as the original paper filter. I am not sure the lower filtering is any real cause for concern over the life of the engine but GM does have a particle size spec for the filter so they do care about what gets in.

Claims of better mileage seem odd. I am not sure what allows a stock filter to flow 250gm/s of air at wide open throttle but be restrictive to the 40gm/s at cruise. It makes no sense. Study's have shown the same thing.

There is a benefit to being able to clean them but when re-oiled you have to make sure you let them dry for at least a day (and allow any excess oil to drain off) or you can oil-coat your mass air flow sensor. GM won't void your warranty for using a K&N but they won't fix an oil-coated mass under warranty either.

KMO
06-09-07, 09:43 PM
Does the K&N also improve performance on the V6?
I have one in my V6 and really don't see a difference... but I do love only cleaning it every 50K miles or so... that is the advantage I see.

mrstang94
06-11-07, 12:14 PM
I feel a difference I also drilled three 1 1/2" holes on the back sdie to allow more airflow and also a nice throaty sound at a way cheaper price than the volant intake. Better gas mileage and better throttle response

CaddyinKC
06-19-07, 02:46 PM
For those of you that purchased the KN Filter and have a V6, did you order part no 33-2356 ? Just confirming before I order. I did check the KN website, but wanting to know from somebody that has installed.

GMJim
06-19-07, 06:15 PM
Ditto. No B.S. Really GMJim, NO B.S.!

Awe shucks TSS.......................Iv'e been handed a bum rap!

Remember, I run 52 octane fuel, leftover oil from Burger King, and a paper sack for an air filter............
whata I know anyway....................but

B.S.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

TSS
06-20-07, 09:18 AM
Jim, after the K&N, I am pulling sub 4 second zero to sixty runs and getting upwards of 36 MPG city. :confused:

EGSJR
06-20-07, 10:29 AM
GMJim,
I am interested in your take on the K & N, is the BS conerning it or the other post?
Thanks.

GMJim
06-20-07, 11:15 AM
Jim, after the K&N, I am pulling sub 4 second zero to sixty runs and getting upwards of 36 MPG city. :confused:

TSS, AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I gotta gets me one!

EGSJR, I have no opinion, but it sounds like nothing but positives from others.
It's just playful ribbing from a previous post.

TSS
06-20-07, 12:23 PM
EGSJR, I have no opinion, but it sounds like nothing but positives from others.
It's just playful ribbing from a previous post.

Confirming that. Just Jim and I bantering in good fun. Seriously, I swear my throttle response is better and gas mileage is nominally up.

The BS part is that in a prior post, when I made the claim of improved acceleration, I pre-empted it by saying: "If somebody was telling me a K&N actually made a difference, I would say it is BS". To which Jim promptly responded: "That is BS".

Just go for it. Buy it from autoanything.com. If you don't like it, they will take it back.

KMO
06-20-07, 02:50 PM
The usage of K&N filters not only makes you go faster, but the increased "sucking power" of your intake will pull objects (such as the finish line) back toward your vehicle and can actually rip a hole in the fabric of time-space if you are not careful with your use of too much throttle.

EGSJR
06-20-07, 03:51 PM
Man,
This is getting deep......
I did order one, as I have them on a couple of Z-71's and a Yukon XL, can't really say I noticed any difference on them, but then again, they are different type vehicles....is back ordered from Auto Anything....either a lot of people are buying....or they are not making many....
Thanks for the info.....will see what it does.

terryk
06-20-07, 04:38 PM
The usage of K&N filters not only makes you go faster, but the increased "sucking power" of your intake will pull objects (such as the finish line) back toward your vehicle and can actually rip a hole in the fabric of time-space if you are not careful with your use of too much throttle.

Finally! A technical explanation! :worship:

TSS
06-28-07, 01:18 PM
TSS, AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I gotta gets me one!

Jim, now that I am replacing the SRX, my almost new K&N is available! I know you are dying for one. :rolleyes: .....As is the holy grail of accessories TOW HOOK and cargo net I almost had to sell a kidney to obtain!

Seriously, anybody in the Lansing area that wants the K&N can have it, otherwise I will leave it in the vehicle.

CaddyinKC
06-28-07, 07:27 PM
Jim, now that I am replacing the SRX, my almost new K&N is available! I know you are dying for one. :rolleyes: .....As is the holy grail of accessories TOW HOOK and cargo net I almost had to sell a kidney to obtain!

Seriously, anybody in the Lansing area that wants the K&N can have it, otherwise I will leave it in the vehicle.

I'll gladly pay for shipping charges!

Never mind you had a v8