: XM issues

psalmist
06-05-07, 12:31 AM
I have been a long time XM subscriber and have 3 different radios running. The unit on my Escalade does not seem to match the sound quality of the others. Actually, it is sounds significantly worse than the FM radio. Has anyone else had problems?

TIA,
david

Playdrv4me
06-05-07, 01:12 AM
Yes sir... longtime known issue. I dont use Satellite Radio, but when I had it on my Avalanche (previous owner left it active for a few months), and when I listen to the preview channel in the Escalade, the sound quality is VERY muffled sounding with no distinct highs or lows. Its been a complaint around here for along time. The cassette adapter on my ipod has a SIGNIFICANTLY WIDER dynamic range than the XM Channels in my lade.

There may be a fix but I am not entirely sure. I believe this comes from the XM Receiver itself, because when I hijacked the XM input on the Avalanche for an AUX jack, my Aux source sounded just fine too.

hcvone
06-05-07, 06:38 AM
My XM is way better than my FM in both 07's, other than last week when XM was having transmission problems, I had to listen to FM last week for the first time in about a year, really missed my XM for those two days.

psalmist
06-05-07, 01:10 PM
I suppose Cadillac remedied the situation. If the wiring is the same, I might have to look into a 2007 unit as a replacement...... Or see if warranty will manage it.

My Ipod and XM are the staples of my ride. So far, no Ipod connection and a poor sounding XM.... Back to CD mixes for now, I guess.

hcvone
06-05-07, 02:04 PM
I use my Ipod almost daily too, great for those short trips from PA to Montana :(

benamaster
06-05-07, 03:58 PM
I suppose Cadillac remedied the situation. If the wiring is the same, I might have to look into a 2007 unit as a replacement...... Or see if warranty will manage it.

My Ipod and XM are the staples of my ride. So far, no Ipod connection and a poor sounding XM.... Back to CD mixes for now, I guess.

There is no way to put the 2007 unit into a 2003 through 2006 truck. The 2003 through 2006 trucks use the Class II data bus and the new 2007's use the GM LAN.

My XM quality is horrible but it depends on the station. Sirius isn't much better through a Kenwood Navigation unit. Still like using my iPod.

psalmist
06-05-07, 11:06 PM
There is no way to put the 2007 unit into a 2003 through 2006 truck. The 2003 through 2006 trucks use the Class II data bus and the new 2007's use the GM LAN.

My XM quality is horrible but it depends on the station. Sirius isn't much better through a Kenwood Navigation unit. Still like using my iPod.

Thank you for the heads up.

As I recall, my first XM unit, made by Sony, had issues especially running very hot. The stations should all have the same quality sound, save for the source material (1940's recordings will not have the same dynamics as one from 2000).

This is a disappointment.

psalmist
06-06-07, 12:23 AM
I use my Ipod almost daily too, great for those short trips from PA to Montana :(

Just a hop, skip and a jump across a couple of time zones.

I NEED an interface for my IPod. I was waiting to hear what GM_Geek had to say about the Iconnect. The Neo unit looks promising. I welcome any suggestion that would put an interface in my Escalade ASAP.

Thank you,
david

Playdrv4me
06-06-07, 12:40 AM
Just a hop, skip and a jump across a couple of time zones.

I NEED an interface for my IPod. I was waiting to hear what GM_Geek had to say about the Iconnect. The Neo unit looks promising. I welcome any suggestion that would put an interface in my Escalade ASAP.

Thank you,
david

David... How much functionality do you need? There are at least a few companies making Aux inputs for the factory Radio. If you dont use the CD changer (I dont even know if mine works since I have the Ipod), you can take that input though it will be audio only. If you want to CONTROL the ipod thats a different story. Personally this has never been of great concern to me as I just set it to shuffle... but there are stop-gap options out there to at least get the audio into the headunit.

psalmist
06-06-07, 01:17 AM
David... How much functionality do you need? There are at least a few companies making Aux inputs for the factory Radio. If you dont use the CD changer (I dont even know if mine works since I have the Ipod), you can take that input though it will be audio only. If you want to CONTROL the ipod thats a different story. Personally this has never been of great concern to me as I just set it to shuffle... but there are stop-gap options out there to at least get the audio into the headunit.

Having control would be nice since I do go through playlists. I would probably want to still use my cd player for any recent purchases (quaint, I know)

I was figuring that an interface that went though the XM harness would work well.... If indeed it is the XM radio that is responsible for the poor output. Do you have any suggestions for this path.

rob_s
06-06-07, 06:46 AM
I'm planning on adding a Pioneer navigation headunit to my '05 with the XM and iPod modules rather than deal with the factory headunit (if I wind up keeping the truck, not sure about that yet). Not sure what I'm going to do with the CD changer dead space after that though. Maybe make a pocket to hole the iPod and have the interface cable come up through the back of it.

hcvone
06-06-07, 07:00 AM
For me when I use my Ipod it's for several hours, so while the play list would be nice, I am just killing hours on the road. :(

Playdrv4me
06-07-07, 10:44 AM
David let me find out which one it is that hijacks the XM input... Keep in mind you wont lose XM, youll have a little switch to toggle back and forth.

Playdrv4me
06-07-07, 10:50 AM
Ok, I was wrong and you are in luck... PAC does make an Aux input adapter that ALSO allows CONTROL via the factory deck. It is kind of pricey though. The simple aux adapters are quite a bit cheaper.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pacauxpod1.html

psalmist
06-07-07, 11:12 PM
Ok, I was wrong and you are in luck... PAC does make an Aux input adapter that ALSO allows CONTROL via the factory deck. It is kind of pricey though. The simple aux adapters are quite a bit cheaper.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pacauxpod1.html

Thank you for your research. Considering what it does, a near two hundred dollar price tag is..... livable.

It seems about the same as the Iconnect and Neo interface. I wonder if it has addition RCA jacks on it as well. What concerns me is how cludgy the controls might be.

By the way, have you come across any fixes for the XM?