Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Dangerous Key Fobs

737 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  96Fleetwood 
#1 ·
Many years ago I read about a guy who was mugged but saved his billfold because he gave the mugger his paper money in a money clip.
Ever since then, I have kept paper money in a money clip and driver's license and the rest of such stuff in a small billfold in my hip pocket.
I also try to keep the Cadillac key fob SEPARATE from anything else. That is, in a pocket all by its lonesome.
I made the mistake of breaking that rule this morning.
You guessed it.
It was raining like a cow piddling on a flat rock as I sat at the dining room table (kitchen is too damn small) sipping my coffee and I shifted in the chair, looking out the window to see - - -
THE FREAKIN' TRUNK ON THE FLEETWOOD SUDDENLY FLY OPEN!
The corner of a bill or the money clip itself had nudged the trunk release button on the keyfob.
Like I said, it was raining like a bastard, but I scrambled outside, damn near tripped over two of the dogs and hustled outside to shut the deck lid, got soaked, and ran back inside while my wife laughed her butt off.
IT WASN'T FUNNY, DAMMIT!:want:

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, mine (as I've found out most are) has absolutely no range, and I pretty much have to be within a few feet of the car for it to function, so that's yet to be an issue here.

Otherwise, what happened with you is pretty common with any car and its key fob, as they just naturally aren't the best things to fit or even be in a pocket. I never can keep mine there, but realistically, it is one of the only places you can--I'm just more used to holding them all the time or having them partially in a pocket. My father can't stand to have any fob with him daily, because he'd just be smacking it so much with all the other keys, so his stay at home on the hook until he absolutely needs it. Since that's only for the queen mum's Suburban, it's not an issue--at least that vehicle's remotes have a huge range, though, unlike the Fleetwood's "have to touch the car" variety.

#3 ·
ROFL Sorry man but that is pretty funny.

#5 ·
I was at a Caddy dealer recently and an 80 year old customer was complaining that he traded his 97 SDV in on a 2007 DTS. He was very unhappy that the car would start by itself in the garage. I listened to him intently and sided with him. A few weeks later, I was talking with one of the mechanics at the same dealership, and he informed me that this nice old gent was simply sitting on his key fob (in the house) , and the new car was starting by itself.

#6 ·
Yeah, I can and have seen and heard similar things MANY times. Some people just can't get used to new technology, and when it comes to fobs, there are issues. Some are just so used to having a key or two in their pockets, they jam their multi-buttoned fob in as well, forgetting that hitting the buttons in range will have the car doing things.

Still, dumb, and so easy to adapt to, it's pointless to even mention...but boy does it happen a lot, especially with the older crowd.

#7 ·
Meh. I HATE the goddamn panic button. I carry 3 keyfobs in my pocket, all smooshed together, and once a month or so I'll accidentally press a button. 99% of the time it's the stupid panic button. I don't know why, either, but I've never found a use for it (except once to scare some kids away from the car); it's not like anyone pays attention to car alarms.

#8 ·
I like the key fob for the Roadmaster better than the Fleetwood. It is smaller and the buttons are harder to press than the Fleetwood..

I also get the Fleetwood fob doing weird things when I have it in my pocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.