: OK...Easy Mods for the guys with basic tools

05ctsvfan
06-03-07, 06:53 PM
I have a 2004 with 11k and freakin love this car. Never had a single problem with it and everyone wants to ride in it / buy it from me. It's 100% stock and I just started thinking about mods.

I have some basic tools and would say I am a beginner but fairly mechanically inclined.

Can you all chime in on some easy mods for me to start with? My buddy who is a gear head said a CAI and buy a Tuner and do it myself. The CAI sounds easy, not sure about the tune. Again, limited tools and knowlege.

Man this car is still fun after 2 years!! I live in Atlanta if there are any clubs.

Thanks!

heavymetals
06-03-07, 07:07 PM
Cruise Reed's FAQ's and you can get some ideas.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/

There are instructions so you can guage your ability to do yourself. :thumbsup:

05ctsvfan
06-03-07, 07:09 PM
Thanks! I will start there.

rand49er
06-03-07, 08:31 PM
Forget the CAI ... "gains" if any not worth the $.

Shifter and exhaust would be high on my list, FWIW.

Can go a lot of different directions after that.

2004ctsv
06-03-07, 08:39 PM
Shifter and exhaust would be high on my list, FWIW

If you still have CAGS - get rid of that first.

$2 if you're cheap and probably $25 if you buy pre-made wire set

Then, I agree - shifter and exhaust come next. Both are relatively easy if you have a reasonable set of sockets and wrenches. But a torque wrench (maybe $60 - $75 at Sears) will be required

heavymetals
06-03-07, 08:50 PM
Shifter, a maggie and a Stealth tune.

All you will need but not all you will want. :canttalk:

Staxxin
06-03-07, 09:26 PM
short shifter, headers, exhaust, Maggie and tune. Nothing more you can need besides some thicker rear meats.

Dennisscars
06-03-07, 11:16 PM
Speaking of basic tools this is the most important item in my tool box...

http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00944517000?rgn=0,0,2040,2040&scl=8.16&fmt=jpeg
(dang it, can't get pic to stick..)

What it is.. (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00944517000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes)

05ctsvfan
06-04-07, 06:39 AM
Thanks again for all the ideas. The Maggie seems a bit much for me now.

Looks like in this orders:

1. CAGS - Need to go see what that does. Thought it let you shift diff, not sure why that helps.
2. Exhaust - Easy enough from what I saw, no torching or mod's, just need to get it up and buy a torque wrench (any recommendations)
3. CAI / Tune - Can I tune myself? Hard? Needs?
4. Shifter - Can you give me some details? Are we talking just the cosmetic change or a way to change to something that throws short. Seems like a very long distance between gears in here....Is that an easy mod?

Thx/.

ewill3rd
06-04-07, 08:30 AM
We sell the UUC shifter and bushing set. It is a pretty popular swap, people always leave smiling.
You can buy them or check pricing in the Lindsay Cadillac area of the vendor forum or contact Luke by sending a PM to Lindsay Cadillac Parts.

I think there are a couple of other shifters out there, most people like the price and feel of the UUC.

HushH
06-04-07, 09:04 AM
Thanks again for all the ideas. The Maggie seems a bit much for me now.

Looks like in this orders:

1. CAGS - Need to go see what that does. Thought it let you shift diff, not sure why that helps.
2. Exhaust - Easy enough from what I saw, no torching or mod's, just need to get it up and buy a torque wrench (any recommendations)
3. CAI / Tune - Can I tune myself? Hard? Needs?
4. Shifter - Can you give me some details? Are we talking just the cosmetic change or a way to change to something that throws short. Seems like a very long distance between gears in here....Is that an easy mod?

Thx/.

1. CAGS is what forces that 1-4 skip-shift when cruising at lower RPMs. A CAGS eliminator (usually pretty easy to find on eBay) will eliminate this. It can also be taken out with a tune.
2. Exhaust - I love my Corsa but you should try to listen to different exhausts in person if you can. The Corsa, Magnaflow, and B&B all sound good but they're all quite different.
3. Tuning will require some sort of program (EFILive, HPTuners, etc.). For me, I feel this is best left to the professionals who have spent a great deal of time learning how these engines work and to what changes they respond best. BTW, we have a great shop just north of Atlanta (http://www.vengeancerd.com).
4. B&M and UUC are the most common after-market shifters and both make the the throws much shorter and more precise. I don't think you can go wrong with either one of these and this is probably the most common DIY mod.

By the way, where in the Atlanta area are you? We don't have a club per se, but do try to get together every once in a while. I think several of us are meeting up at the car show in Cartersville on the 23rd. There's a thread about it in here somewhere.

Luna.
06-04-07, 04:46 PM
I believe HushH's advise is right on the $$$.

Knowing what I know now, a tune would be one of the first mods I would get, as it not only can get rid of CAGS, but it also yields power increases that you can feel in the sotp. For best efficiency, however, try and do the tune after all other mods are installed (say, headers, CAI, exhaust, etc.)

A shifter, be it UUC or B&M, are also terrific mods. I also LOVE my CTS armrest (the V armrest is, basically, retarded in my mind).

rand49er
06-04-07, 07:37 PM
... I also LOVE my CTS armrest (the V armrest is, basically, retarded in my mind).:postpics:

05ctsvfan
06-04-07, 08:51 PM
I live in Suwanee GA, off of PeachTree Industrial.

Thanks for all the tips...time to go spend some cash!!

Think I will do the tune after I change exhaust and CAI. Thanks again!!

Luna.
06-05-07, 01:10 AM
:postpics:

Really? You don't know what the CTS armrest looks like? It's basically the same, save for it has storage room inside it! :thumbsup: I can post a pic if you'd like, but it's fairly anti-climatic

05ctsvfan
06-05-07, 07:03 AM
Checked out the sound of the Corsa and Mag exhausts.

I like the sound of the corsa, but the tips (look more stock), look (parts) and HP gain of the Mag. Big diff in gain if you can believe the dyno's.

How off do the Corsa tips look from stock? The picture they look like a 45 degree cut angle and are thin (not rounded like stock). Curious.

rand49er
06-05-07, 07:41 AM
Really? You don't know what the CTS armrest looks like? It's basically the same, save for it has storage room inside it! :thumbsup: I can post a pic if you'd like, but it's fairly anti-climaticYeah, I've seen 'em, but was hoping for more views of one. The stitching is not the same and is the only thing holding me back on this ... not sure if I'd like it. If you're so inclined, love to see pics of yours, though. Suppose to be very easy install, too.

HushH
06-05-07, 09:08 AM
Checked out the sound of the Corsa and Mag exhausts.

I like the sound of the corsa, but the tips (look more stock), look (parts) and HP gain of the Mag. Big diff in gain if you can believe the dyno's.

How off do the Corsa tips look from stock? The picture they look like a 45 degree cut angle and are thin (not rounded like stock). Curious.

I don't know what kind of hp gains either claim, but I think the actual gains are pretty small for both. I'd say go with what looks and sounds the best to you. The Corsa tips don't look as thin in person and both are quality pieces. The only thing I don't really like about my Corsa is the round mufflers. But it's really not that noticable. Of course the Magnaflow is a good bit cheaper as well so that's something else to consider.

V-Max
06-18-07, 11:41 AM
Here is a Corsa for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110140332227

chris2002wb
06-18-07, 07:41 PM
just wonderin if any of you guys have pics of the shifter in your car,,,ive heard alot of positive things about it,,,but havent seen one yet,,,either that or im speed blind,,,,as i have been in the V this afternoon,,,,lol

Chris

gsxmachine
06-21-07, 11:59 AM
just wonderin if any of you guys have pics of the shifter in your car,,,ive heard alot of positive things about it,,,but havent seen one yet,,,either that or im speed blind,,,,as i have been in the V this afternoon,,,,lol

Chris, sincerely not bustin' on you b/c I see it all over the place but what's with the commas? Aren't they supposed to be periods?