: Goodyear dealer rip off?

rocketeer
06-01-07, 05:58 PM
So this afternoon i went to the closest Goodyear dealer (independant) and asked about replacing the tires. he did not know anything about credit from Goodyear towards new tire but he did take down the mileage and was going to measure tread depth but noted they were all at the wear bar. after he called Goodyear he calle dme back to say that yes there was a credit but he wouldnt say how much. He claims it depends on what tire I get. To boot it doesn't cover mounting and balance which is fine with me but at $20 for mounting and $38 for balancing I am spending $232 before tires. he also mentioned that there have been reports of the TPMS malfunctioning with the GS D3's (i want) and that the handling would be very different.Anyone know about the sensors or care to comment about handling.

Thanks

heavymetals
06-01-07, 06:03 PM
No problem with mine so far.

Deal with Goodyear directly, buy the tires from Tire Rack and have them shipped to whomever you choose to install them.

Goodyear gives you a check.

thebigjimsho
06-01-07, 06:19 PM
Anyone in the tire business would look at the TPMS and know the tire would not make a difference. Go to a different tire shop. Retahds.

rocketeer
06-01-07, 06:27 PM
I would prefer to do that but when I call Goodyear 1-800 they say to go to local dealer first. Dealer then calls Goodyear for file number etc. He claims the credit depends on which tire I get which I never heard of through this forum. I'm thinking new dealer...

Rich H
06-01-07, 10:34 PM
You are at the mercy of the Goodyear dealer you take it to. I'm not aware of Goodyear ever handing over a check for prorating a set of worn F1s so that you can purchase tires elsewhere. Shop around and you will find a dealer who wants to move their tires and you will get a good deal. I found one who didn't charge mounting or balancing although they simply prorated based upon the MSRP (not normal selling price) of the replacement tires.

TampaV
06-01-07, 10:47 PM
Go to a Goodyear store. When I had my F1 EMT's replaced by Goodyear it cost me $3.00 total, out the door. That included mounting, balancing and a road hazard warranty. Don't let this guy pull your chain. I got the GS-D3's and am very satisfied with them. If you feel you are being taken advantage of by this dealer, call Goodyear and complain.

Good luck.

heavymetals
06-01-07, 11:12 PM
You are at the mercy of the Goodyear dealer you take it to. I'm not aware of Goodyear ever handing over a check for prorating a set of worn F1s so that you can purchase tires elsewhere. Shop around and you will find a dealer who wants to move their tires and you will get a good deal. I found one who didn't charge mounting or balancing although they simply prorated based upon the MSRP (not normal selling price) of the replacement tires.

I would show you the check, but I cashed it.

I am not the only one they did this for either.

I did buy the D3's from Tire Rack, emailed a copy of the receipt to the Goodyear rep I talked to on the phone, and got sent a check.

Hammar
06-02-07, 08:07 AM
I talked with two local dealers. The first claims they called, but wouldn't prorate anything (but would happlily replace the F1's if I wanted to buy something else)... The second didn't have time to make the call...

Any details you can share that might help me? Is it a recall? or just a TSB? Does anyone have a program number or better yet the Goodyear 1-800 number?

Thanks for 20 questions!

Hammar

Black Sunshine
06-02-07, 11:32 AM
I looked up the number for customer service on the Goodyear website.

I called them a couple months ago after my F1's were showing cord after just 17,000 of 99% highway miles. They said they'd do a 30,000 mile prorated warranty on them at the current price (then) of $532 each NOT including install, balance, alignment. And ONLY if I purchased another set of F1's.

This was quite different from what I had learned here so I called back three more times speaking with a different person each time only to get the same spiel each time.

Needless to say, I just finished paying off a new set of tires from another manufacturer (having already put another 15k on them with almost no noticeable wear) and will never do business with Goodyear. Overpriced bullsh1t.

Rich H
06-02-07, 12:25 PM
I would show you the check, but I cashed it.

I am not the only one they did this for either.

I did buy the D3's from Tire Rack, emailed a copy of the receipt to the Goodyear rep I talked to on the phone, and got sent a check.

Then you are one of the fortunate "few".

Goodyear did mail me a check too. But it was only a partial refund for the transaction since the dealer screwed me out of ~$100 when they didn't calculate the prorate correctly. The dealer, and Goodyear, obviously make money in the deal when they prorate using MSRP - which nobody in the competitive market place sells their tires for.

heavymetals
06-02-07, 01:55 PM
Then you are one of the fortunate "few".

Goodyear did mail me a check too. But it was only a partial refund for the transaction since the dealer screwed me out of ~$100 when they didn't calculate the prorate correctly. The dealer, and Goodyear, obviously make money in the deal when they prorate using MSRP - which nobody in the competitive market place sells their tires for.

I agree with that. :thumbsup:

However, if you search the old threads there are other people who got the same treatment (a check), so I didn't think it that uncommon.

I am a "half full glass" kind of guy and was pleasantly suprised Goodyear did anything. :highfive:

rocketeer
06-04-07, 12:28 AM
I did stop by a Goodyear store on my way home from work on Sat. He has done several adjustments for V's and Vettes and knew exactly what I was talking about. He opened up a ticket, is calling Goodyear first thing Mon morning and will call me with the credit amount. The D3 is an approved replacement according to Goodyear so it shouldnt be a problem. He said as an independent the other dealer I went to can pretty much do/charge what he wants. Hopefully new tires this week!!

heavymetals
06-04-07, 12:49 AM
Good for you. :thumbsup: