: Leaking Transmission Fluid

97CadSTS
06-01-07, 05:09 PM
I just bought a 1994 Cadillac STS, and its leaking fluid right between the motor and where the transmission bolts up. I'm wondering if its something serious or if its just maybe a gasket. I mean it was driving just fine, and it has been sitting for a while, then all of a sudden at the gas station it just started pouring out. It looked to be about a quart on the ground. I refilled it, and it seemed to leak that out too. It seemed to leak mostly when the car was off. The car has 140k on it, and runs well. I figure for 1300, it wasnt that bad of a buy.
Thanks
-Chris

Ranger
06-01-07, 08:46 PM
Have you checked the trans cooler lines?

lisekpl
06-03-07, 12:43 AM
There is no gasket between the motor and transmission. As said before, check the cooler lines and/or the area around the tc shield from underneath the vehicle as it is not leakproof.

97CadSTS
06-05-07, 10:55 PM
Tonight I changed the transmission pan gasket, because it looked like that was where it was leaking from. Now after changing that, it still leaks. It appears to be leaking above the pan, up by the flywheel. Where could it be leaking from above the transmission pan? Its coming out pretty well too.
Thanks.

Ranger
06-05-07, 11:59 PM
Check the cooler lines at the trans. Might just need to be snugged up a little.

97CadSTS
06-06-07, 09:36 PM
Well, I checked the transmission cooler lines, and its definetly not coming from those. It appears to be leaking from the top of the tranny somewhere, right about where oil pan, and tranny pan meet in that area. I cant figure out where it could be coming from. I hope I wont have to drop the tranny to fix this. It leaks really bad when the car is running. Any ideas?
Thanks

Ranger
06-06-07, 11:21 PM
None here.

97CadSTS
06-07-07, 02:40 PM
Do I have to drop the cradle, to remove the transmission? Also how big of a job is it? Could I do it possibly in a day?
Thanks.

Ranger
06-07-07, 06:42 PM
Yes I believe you do. Pretty big job. I guess a day might be possible depending on how good and well equipped you are, but I'd plan on much longer.

97CadSTS
06-19-07, 01:02 PM
Is there a seal like on a pump or something between the motor and tranny, that could make the transmission leak? It only leaks when the car is running, otherwise it doesnt leak at all. As soon as the car starts running it spits out fluid quite rapidly. Any ideas?

Ranger
06-19-07, 04:28 PM
Are you sure it is trans fluid? P/S fluid can leak and get under the intake manifold. I may be running out the backside by the starter pinion and dripping down. You can get a peak under it from the front of the engine by the P/S pump.

codewize
06-19-07, 09:56 PM
Yes the cradle has to come out. The book calls for 10.5 hrs to R&R a trans. It's a big job. However it is not likely that trans fluid is leaking in the bell housing. Unless the pump seal is bad or something off the wall like that.

A rear main seal or half case leaking oil into there is far more likely than trans fluid.

97CadSTS
06-19-07, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I'm absolutely sure its transmission fluid. It spits out red fluid, and my transmission fluid goes down in the reservoir. So maybe it is that front pump seal?

codewize
06-20-07, 09:04 AM
Well I think you have a decision to make. It sounds like it's bad enough that it has to be repaired. If that's the case I can assure you that you're looking at a minimum of $1200 in labor alone. Maybe more.

There is a bearing on the input shaft that could be bad. I wonder if it's the same part used on the output shaft LOL.

In case you didn't follow that, I just rebuilt a 4T80E with 30k on it due to bearing failure. Mine was leaking on the axle seal. Apparently there are a handful of cases where this said bearing fails and causes the output shaft to wobble eventually destroying the seal. Not to mention the metal fragments moving around inside basically destroy ever moving part in the trans. I doubt it's the same part, and you do have a LOT more mileage that I do but it was a funny thought. My rebuild costs me just over $3k NOT at a dealer.

Eldobroken
06-20-07, 09:09 AM
Do I have to drop the cradle, to remove the transmission? Also how big of a job is it? Could I do it possibly in a day?
Thanks.
Thats how I ended up with a new tranny. Might want to redo it while it is out of the car. Lots of work taking it out.