: Percy's header gaskets + header bolts

Drago
06-01-07, 05:00 PM
I ordered some Percy's dead soft gaskets for the Kooks headers that are 'in production'. The gaskets arrived and they are thicker than I expected. Will I be needing longer header bolts? I'm trying to get all my parts together before the headers arrive so I can jump on the install the moment they arrive.

heavymetals
06-01-07, 05:36 PM
I would replace the header bolts with ARP stuff.

They make a stainless stud (use anti-sieze) with a 12 point nut and washer set for the LS series for a little over $100.00.

part #434-1301

Don't lose a washer or a nut, cuz you will be bummin.:eek:

Tighten to 18 ft lbs........

The Tony Show
06-01-07, 06:02 PM
The Carbon gaskets that Kooks will send you with your headers are also made by Percy's, and in my opinion a better gasket than the aluminum ones. The only real advantage to the "dead soft" aluminum is the fact that they're reusable, but unless you plan on taking your headers off a lot, I'd go with the carbons. Oh wait- I did! :D

Silver Dollar
06-01-07, 06:09 PM
I would replace the header bolts with ARP stuff.

They make a stainless stud (use anti-sieze) with a 12 point nut and washer set for the LS series for a little over $100.00.

part #434-1301

Don't lose a washer or a nut, cuz you will be bummin.:eek:

Tighten to 18 ft lbs........

Heavy,

Do you have enough room to work the headers over the studs? Having not installed headers (yet) on my V, I'm having flashbacks to a previous project car where I had difficulty sliping the headers over the studs due to tight spaces.

heavymetals
06-01-07, 06:21 PM
Actually it gives you something to "hang" the header on. :thumbsup:

Remove the coil pacs, the battery and the spark plugs and you end with enough room (I did anyway).

I put the headers in from the bottom up (underneath the car).

I suggest you retighten everything after burning a tank of gas.

IownaCTS-V
06-01-07, 06:24 PM
I ordered the kooks headers also and am wondering if I will need any additional hardware/parts?

heavymetals
06-01-07, 06:29 PM
There is no differance between NEED and WANT in MOD HELL.:thepan:

IownaCTS-V
06-01-07, 06:33 PM
Let me re-phrase... Will I have all the necassary harware and parts to install?

heavymetals
06-01-07, 06:37 PM
Make sure you use anti-sieze no matter what hardware you use/reuse.

Also, use a torque wrench.

IownaCTS-V
06-01-07, 06:45 PM
Will do!

Thanks

urbanski
06-01-07, 07:02 PM
http://stealthv.com/headers.htm

CTSV_Rob
06-01-07, 07:38 PM
Anybody else have an opinion on the gaskets, I was about to order the dead soft percy gaskets.

I don't plan to pull the headers on and off but I don't want any leaks either and $40 for the gaskets seems like cheap insurance if they do help to not have any leaks. I will need to pull these headers off in another four years to get the V smogged but I could just buy the Percy dead soft aluminum gaskets then.

I have seen a torque spec of 15 and 18lbs. Which is the correct number and is it different for the 2 gasket types?

I'm not sure if I'm in Mod Hell yet but I feel like I am at the gates looking in...:bouncy:

The Tony Show
06-01-07, 08:22 PM
If you're not switching to the ARP studs, definitely reuse the stock manifold bolts instead of the ones Kooks sends with the headers. While they look nice and shiny, they are a lower grade bolt than the factory ones and therefore more likely to strip, seize or snap off.

CTSV_Rob: I'm using the Carbon Percy's gaskets that are included in the Kooks kit, and have no leaks whatsoever. My techs torqued the bolts to 17 ft/lbs, then went to 18 after 100 miles.