: E85 flexfuel on Escalade!?

hal72
06-01-07, 03:30 AM
I see both the Chevy Tahoe and GMC yukon can be bought ready for E85, is this possible for the Escalade also!? can you convert and old one!? anyone know something. I only know about the Hybrid Escalade.

ewill3rd
06-01-07, 07:14 AM
No you cannot legally convert a non-E85 vehicle to run on E85.
Escalade will be offered in the near future with an E85 option and I have heard rumors it will also soon be available in a PHT (parallel hybrid) model.

hal72
06-01-07, 08:45 AM
cool, will the hybrid system be something like the Lexus RX 400h!?

ewill3rd
06-01-07, 08:57 AM
I am not sure what Lexus is using.
I thought it was going to be like the system they use in the Silverado but I think I heard there will be some substantial differences.
GM should let us know what it will be about 6 months after they start coming in for service :histeric:

I have often found that speculating as to what GM will do is a huge waste of time, they inevitably change their minds and do something different.
Only time will tell.

PhiNally
06-01-07, 10:19 AM
You can convert your Escalade to E85, I have seen that Diablo sport sells a tuner that will convert it. Also, I have found a site that tells you how to convert it, I will post it when I find it again. I am thinking about doing it, but you need to make sure that your state has a lot of pumps that offer E85.

Playdrv4me
06-01-07, 12:52 PM
This is the system GM will use in a reworked Escalade: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=120687

PhiNally
06-01-07, 01:05 PM
Here is a website where you can find a ton of information, where to get E85 fuel, how to convert, why to, etc. I think its a great idea.
http://e85vehicles.com/

ewill3rd
06-01-07, 10:22 PM
Converting your vehicle to E85 is considered "emissions tampering" by the EPA.
No company that I know of is selling kits that are certified because of the expense of EPA certification.

Scientifically it can be done, legally, it cannot.
See the article below from a reputable site regarding E85 vehicles.

CAN A VEHICLE BE CONVERTED TO OPERATE ON E85?

Response:

This is a common question that is asked of the National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition. Unfortunately, there is no simple answer. In the strictest sense, yes, a vehicle that was designed to operate on unleaded gasoline only could be converted to operate on E85. Realistically, the conversion is extremely difficult. Below explains the reasoning.

During the 1980’s and early 1990’s, many small companies were formed that were altering gasoline powered vehicles to operate on other forms of fuels such as propane, compressed natural gas, 85 percent ethanol, and 85 percent methanol. The marketing program of these conversion companies was based on the premise that it was cheaper to operate a vehicle on alternative fuels. However, the vehicles being converted were engineered, designed and built to operate on unleaded only. Shortly after the emergence of the “conversion firms” the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) determined that when converted from gasoline to another form of fuel, the exhaust emissions from these converted vehicles were often much “dirtier” than prior to conversion. See explanation regarding EPA Memo 1A. The use of alternative fuels in the transportation sector has been built around the objectives of using cleaner, non-gasoline based components.

Based on the federal authority provided to the EPA through the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990, the EPA implemented regulations that required the exhaust emissions from vehicles converted to run on alternative fuels be “as clean as the exhaust emissions of the original gasoline equipment.” That is, if Ford Motor Company manufactured a vehicle to meet federal emissions standards on gasoline, a company converting that vehicle to operate on propane, must be able to certify that the emissions from the converted vehicle was as good as the original. A process to certify such after-market equipment was initiated and ultimately, few if any conversion kits were able to qualify.

Today, 99.9 percent of the vehicles that are capable of operating on alternative transportation fuels are produced by the original equipment manufacturers such as Ford, General Motors, and DaimlerChrysler. Engineers from these companies are able to design and build vehicles that meet the EPA exhaust emission standards. These companies also are required to warranty the exhaust emissions from these vehicles for 10 years or 100,000 miles, something very few conversion companies are able to accomplish. However, as you will read below, that might be changing.

IS IT POSSIBLE TO CONVERT A VEHICLE THAT WAS DESIGNED FOR GASOLINE TO OPERATE ON E85?

Yes. However, there are no conversions or after-market parts that have been certified by the EPA as meeting the standards to maintain clean exhaust emissions. Technically speaking, converting a vehicle that was designed to operate on unleaded gasoline only to operate on another form of fuel is a violation of the federal law and the offender may be subject to significant penalties. No after-market conversion company has successfully certified an E85 kit that would allow a gasoline vehicle to operate on 85 percent ethanol.

The differences in fuel injector size, air-fuel ratio, PCM calibrations, material composition of the fuel lines, pumps and tanks are just a few of the components that contribute to making an E85 conversion extremely complex. It is our understanding that at least one company is working to obtain EPA certification. We will monitor the situation closely, understanding the certification process can be time consuming, difficult and expensive.

hal72
06-02-07, 03:09 AM
that`s really really useful info:thumbsup:

I live in norway so I also have to check in the legal aspect of it. I never thought of that. But I also heard about corrosion problems, and increase in fuel consumption. But you also get better preformance maybe. (it is really common in sweden now and almost all saab are runnning on E85)

but the best would probably be if the gas price went down....

Slapshot
06-02-07, 01:57 PM
Car & Driver reported in March that the Hybrid Escalade will go on sale this fall as a 2008.

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/12598/2009-cadillac-escalade-hybrid.html