Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Best way to care for my vinyl roof on '93 fleetwood?

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Old Fleetwood 
#1 ·
I have a 1993 fleetwood brouham with vinyl roof whats the best thing to use to clean it and keep it protected from the sun so it dosen't crack or dry out?

#2 ·
Duragloss 301

That is all I use on my vinyl top, works amazing and does not leave a shiny residue that will drip all over your paint!

#4 ·
I had a 1984 Fleetwood Brougham and a 1980 Sedan de Ville. I bought both of them new. I sold both of them in 2002.

I always used Johnsons Baby Oil on the vinyl tops. Once or twice a year buy a bottle from the drug store for a couple of bucks.

MAKE SURE the vinyl is clean and dry. Pour a little in the palm of your hand and gently rub it in to the vinyl. Takes an hour or two to do the whole top.

The tops wash better after that also. Nothing sticks to them. :)

After 18 years on the fleetwood and over 20 years on the Sedan. there was not a crack or tear in it anywhere.

It worked for me, as always ..... YMMV :)

Jim

#9 ·
What does the Baby Oil do to the windshield when it rains? Streaks?
Never had a problem with streaks. Don't just dump a bottle of it on the top. Pour some in your hand and gently rub it in to the vinyl.

I always did an area about a foot to a foot and a half in diameter at a time, slowly working over the entire top. The vinyl will absorb what it needs. Any that seems like it doesn't want to soak in... rub it in a different place or wipe it off with a rag or paper towel. :)

I think moderation in applying the baby oil is the key to not getting streaks. If you leave excess oil on the top, obviously it will run down on your windshield and back glass, but I never had a problem with that and the cars usually sat outside in the driveway.

Jim

#10 ·
Just go with that Duragloss 301.. it costs as much as the baby oil and key factor: IT IS MADE FOR YOUR VINYL TOP! :yup:

#11 ·
Just go with that Duragloss 301.. it costs as much as the baby oil and keep factor: IT IS MADE FOR YOUR VINYL TOP! :yup:
Probably a very good idea to use something actually MADE for the vinyl top. I have never used it as the cars I have now do not have vinyl.

Twenty years ago there wasn't any good vinyl top treatments. At least not that I knew of. I figured if the Johnson and Johnson baby oil was good enough to keep the baby's butt from drying and chapping under the condition it lived in, then it may be good enough for my Cadillac. :)

Was just kinda answering the question about what people have used to keep the top from drying out.

Jim

#13 ·
Cheeses > I quit being the Grand Master Beta when I discovered there were girls!
Before that, I thought girls were yucky! Like, I mean, they couldn't play baseball, couldn't put a worm on a hook. You know, good stuff like that!
But to serious up, What about Meguiars and alternative stuff?
Anybody have experience with other products?
We heard about ArmorAll and a resounding HELL NO, so inquiring minds want to know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.