Cadillac Owners Forum banner
864 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  z06bigbird 
#1 ·
I consider my 1993 Fleetwood to be one of the most charismatic and noteworthy vehicles I have ever owned. However, I recently negotiated for and purchased a 2004 Cadillac Deville for my father. I delivered the Deville to him this weekend which involved driving from New York to Maine, an 8 hour journey. The Deville made a distinct impression on me compared to the Fleetwood. First of all, the Deville handles extremely well. There is very little body roll and it seems to adhere to the road surface with tenacity. I noticed no squeaks, creaks or rattles; there is very little road noise transferred to the passenger compartment. It’s a very silent car . . . except when the gas pedal is even mildly pressed. The acceleration of the Northstar V-8 is unbelievable! I have never felt such smooth yet aggressive acceleration in my driving career. The engine roars a truly pleasant and thrilling sound at high RPM (there’s a big difference between sound and noise) and will continue to pull way, way beyond legal speeds. It literally pressed me forcefully back into the seat, something I have not felt that dramatically since a certain 1969 Dodge Charger 440 Magnum with a Six-Pack. Needless to say, I am impressed with the Deville. It looks modern, seems to have solid build quality, handles well, is extremely comfortable, has a superb Bose sound system (I’d prefer to listen to the song of that beautiful Northstar, however), and is sensibly sized. It actually feels more compact to drive than it is. It delivered an overall 24.8 MPG at less than moderate(!) throttle levels from NY to Maine. I love my Fleetwood, but I never expected to cast an envious eye to the Deville which will be my next car—sometime soon!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd still prefer Fleetwood over DTS or STS .I don't think built quality for Fleetwood is worse than any DTS .
What I don't like about FBWs is they're pretty primitive on some parts let's say cluster panel ,lack of goodies like STS or DTS .
I don't know '93 but from '94 and up came with LT-1 which can be perfect for mods and when you mod a LT1 ,you can go faster than Northstar engine
I think , other FWB owners can chime in here and would shed a light on this comparison

#3 ·
I can't compare since my FWB serves as a "tow truck" for our PopUp RV and I am sure Cruella deVille wouldn't cut it, despite those lovely noises and excellent handling.
My alternative is one of the Cadillac trucks - if I were to stay in the Cadillac line - and that makes me stick with my 1995, FULL FRAME Fleetwood.

#4 ·
You are talking about over a decade's worth of technology between the two cars... you better be damn sure that Deville should feel better than the Fleetwood! Another thing to mention is your 1993 Fleetwood has ~70 less horsepower than the 1994-1996 models.

However... I bet my Fleetwood would eat up that Deville in the straights and twisties :devil:

#5 ·
Hey Elias, you mean '03 Deville is much softer than Fleetwood ? Otherwise more floating drive ?
I always assumed the other way

#6 ·
A stock '93-96 Fleetwood is as floaty as you can get.

Mine is as stiff as you can get.. but the price you pay for performance.

#7 ·
Like they say -
"Them what kin brag without lyin - let 'em brag."
Cadillacboy -
Go back quite a few threads and see what Elias did to his '96 and then took it to a DYNO.
He's got pix and the tickets to show for it.
Verrrrrrrrry interesting!
And yes, I'm kind'a drooling all over my damn keyboard.:alchi:

#8 ·
Thanks guys for your inputs :)
If I happen to buy a LT1 FWB, I will modify it but leave the suspension system untouched then lol

#9 ·
I agree 100% that the Fleetwood is primitive compared to the STS or DTS, or any Deville after 1996.

But the way I saw it when I bought my car is... that is less stuff to break! I like technology when I am at home and with respect to my phone & pda.. but when it comes to the car, I like it simple.

The only things I would add to the Fleetwood:

1) Water Temp gauge
2) Tachometer
3) Touch Screen Double DIN DVD/Navigation

:stirpot:

#12 ·
96 Fleecewoods run on regular. 94s take prem. I can't remember what 95 calls for. Watch out for water leaking from water pump into distributor. Expensive repair that happens in very very short period of time (almost an instant??).

Great cars, though. Parts are dirt cheap--shocks, tires, alternators, etc.

SDVs with 4.5 and 4.9 are great cars also. If I went with a Northstar, I would go with a 2000 model or newer. Few potential problems.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.