: Rear bumper painting

mjk
05-29-07, 10:02 AM
I gave the car to my wife some time ago and it came back with a scratched bumper. I finally got to go to the dealer and they quoted me $528:eek: for a litlle scraped corner!

I don't know but it seams like a ripp-off. Would you guys take it to any respectable body shop or would you stick with the dealer?

I think I can get it repaired for at least $200 less.

any thoughts?

sgilbert
05-29-07, 10:59 AM
Body shop! They're all familiar with flex paint these days.

Get several quotes.

TSS
05-29-07, 12:44 PM
Agree 100 %. Many private shops are not only less expensive, but also better than dealer paint shops.

HOWEVER, if it is Diamond White, take it to the Cadillac dealer. They likely have worked with the process more than an average body shop. Plus, many body shops will tell you they just can't get diamond white perfect. If the Caddy dealer can't, I would complain and argue they should not have sold you a car that can't be properly repaired. If anything happens to mine, I will make sure the dealer does the work for this very reason.

mjk
05-30-07, 09:03 AM
It is a Diamond Wht. However the first thing Caddy body shop guy said was that it will not perfectly match. :thehand: because it's plastic and the color will always come out different than on metal.

The bumper is a shade darker than the rest when you look really close. :confused:

TSS
05-30-07, 09:40 AM
Yikes. My Diamond white shading is pretty consistent throughout. I would still go with a caddy dealer on this color. Best of luck!

ckrichards
05-30-07, 12:46 PM
If you want the best match go to a few local hot rod shows, and look for the cars with really sharp paint jobs and ask who painted the car. Ask for the specific person, not only the shop.

donjumpsuit
05-30-07, 01:52 PM
Is it that difficult to engineer a car color that has two unique shades for metal and plastic, when used in combination equal a color matched system? Gotta give it to caddy for at least trying, I almost puke everytime I pass a HONDA Element

GMJim
06-05-07, 07:02 AM
Is it that difficult to engineer a car color that has two unique shades for metal and plastic, when used in combination equal a color matched system? Gotta give it to caddy for at least trying, I almost puke everytime I pass a HONDA Element

The Element/boxmobile makes the Pontiac Aztec look like a sports car.
Go figure......what's cool for Honda, would make GM the laughing stock.

I have White Diamond..........I equate it to wearing a white shirt to a spaghetti eating contest. It is alot of work to keep it looking good. It requires a polish every other month. It is amazing what other colors cover up.

donjumpsuit
06-05-07, 10:09 AM
your work polishing is very much appreciated.
The black raven color is just as hard. I used to spend hours making it look "wet" using zaino products. The finish held up alright, even tho the clearcoat is as soft as wax.
However, I kept telling my dealer not to EVER touch my car, then it was in the shop for 2 months, and they washed it, it will never be the same.

2 years of hard dedication thrown out the window with a 5 minute wash by some mexican boy. He must of used a brillo pad, because that is the only thing that could cause the destructive swirling that now exists on my car.

Reason #5843 why to lease.
Black vehicles don't stay good forever

miketrapper
06-09-07, 01:54 PM
i have the 07 sunset blue paint and i just found my back bumper scratched right down to the black. is this gonna be the same as getting a white damond repainted...mike