: Just for clarification - does the '07 have the same towing features? (read on)

teutonictrio
05-27-07, 10:57 AM
I believe the previous model had the auto-leveling airbag in the rear suspension to prevent sagging when towing - Cadillac doesn't have ANY specific information on the website that involves the tough side of the Escalade, so does anyone here know?

TOM K
05-27-07, 11:55 AM
The airbags work the same as the old ones, they lift when weight is put on them, however I hope you didn't buy the vehicle to tow anything because it won't ! With those 3.42 gears and 22" wheels it drops the mileage to about 5 or 6 and it is totally gutless and I only put 2500lbs. behind it, if you have a headwind find a hotel room or get a duramax

teutonictrio
05-27-07, 01:16 PM
The airbags work the same as the old ones, they lift when weight is put on them, however I hope you didn't buy the vehicle to tow anything because it won't ! With those 3.42 gears and 22" wheels it drops the mileage to about 5 or 6 and it is totally gutless and I only put 2500lbs. behind it, if you have a headwind find a hotel room or get a duramax

I will be towing with it, and I am quite confident in the towing abilities. I have a friend with the previous model, and it tows like a champ, and I know that the Yukon Denali also tows well, using the same chassis and engine as the Escalade. I've seen many records here on the forum of individuals with very successful towing experiences, and yours which is obviously not as successful. There's no way that an engine with that torque and hp and the framework underneath is going to be less than capable at towing. Sure a Duramax diesel would be better, but I don't want a pickup truck.

Hypo
05-27-07, 02:17 PM
I towed with my 00 and 03 escalades. I am also going to tow with my new 07 escalade, when it is broken in.

Does anyone have info on the alternator specs? Manufacturer model number. connection information for using a battery isolator?

Hypo

TOM K
05-27-07, 10:21 PM
I agree! the 04 I had pulled like a freight train but it had a 4 speed trans, and 3.73 gears and 17" wheels and everyone I talked to with the Yukons are wondering what my problem is but the Yukon's etc. have a choice of rearends and most all the dealers I have talked to always order 3.73's or even 4.10's if they are going to tow. With the Escalade the only choice is 3.42's. Better hook the trailer up and try it maybe there is something wrong with mine that can't be fixed because my dealer has tryed several times and I give them credit because they kept it once for a week and tryed everything still to no avail. Comparing apples to apples I tryed an 07 Toyota tundra and it has about the same hp and torque as the Cadi and a 6-speed trans but it had a 4.30 rear end with 20" wheels was that ever fun to drive! and wow would it pull!

teutonictrio
05-27-07, 10:37 PM
Tom, while the 3.42 is certainly not ideal, it seems that the towing mode and the power and torque of the 6.2l motor is plentiful for great towing, plus we see that everybody else who tows on this forum with theirs has no problems at all. Won't your dealer (or Cadillac corporate) consider that something is perhaps wrong with yours?? How could it be so different?

TOM K
05-28-07, 10:21 AM
I don't know they can't find anything wrong? I wish they could then everyone would be happy. A lot of people who say they tow fine perhaps never towed with a pre 2007 Escalade. I can't imagine pulling say a 5 or 6000 lb. trailer with a headwind. With my 02 and 04 I pulled 6500lb combine platforms down the interstate at 75 mph no problem. The 6.2 engine as mighty as it may be cannot create enough torque at 1500 rpm which is about 55 mph (unfortunately the speed limit) to pull. With the tall tires and the low ratio it is not the fault of the engine,

teutonictrio
05-28-07, 10:31 AM
I don't know they can't find anything wrong? I wish they could then everyone would be happy. A lot of people who say they tow fine perhaps never towed with a pre 2007 Escalade. I can't imagine pulling say a 5 or 6000 lb. trailer with a headwind. With my 02 and 04 I pulled 6500lb combine platforms down the interstate at 75 mph no problem. The 6.2 engine as mighty as it may be cannot create enough torque at 1500 rpm which is about 55 mph (unfortunately the speed limit) to pull. With the tall tires and the low ratio it is not the fault of the engine,

Did you try 20's or 18's on the Escalade, see if it improves? Might just be really hard for the 3.42 to turn those 22's when there is 6000lb back there.

TOM K
05-28-07, 12:11 PM
I would rather have the option of the right gears, you can't see the ring&pinions from the outside but the 18" wheels you can, I'm not ready for the home yet. mind you it takes a little time to polish those 22's. I was anxiously waiting to see if GM came to their senses and changed the specs on the 08's adding some more ratio options however this didn't happen you can see the specs and order an 08 at the dealers now just no pricing. But the 3.42's are still the only choice