: Finally going to buy the Lockpick

nmc219
05-27-07, 10:01 AM
Guys,

After weeks of thinking about and reading the posts im finally going to order the lockpick thing from Coasteltech. It appears that success rate for this product varies for each person so i guess if all hell breaks loose i can always pull it out. For anyone thats installed it or bought it any suggestions or warnings?

hcvone
05-29-07, 07:23 AM
If you take your truck in for warranty work and it involves the radio or Nav you will want to remove it, or they may charge you, depends on the dealership.

Hypo
05-31-07, 11:58 AM
I just spent a couple hours installing the GM Super lockpick. When I powered up the nav/radio after install it was dead. Pulled the unit back out and removed lockpick; set up radio/nav back to factory original and it still works fine. Found that the in-line fuse for the lockpick cable was blown, replacing fuse and it blows immediately. Gave up.

I closely inspected the cable harness that coastal e tech supplies and did not see any cut or broken wires, or bent pins. I just e-mailed them and am waiting for their response.

It is very difficult to get all of the wires back into the dash after installing. I found that I had to place the lockpick black box and most of the cable connections in the space near the bottom of where the radio/nav slides in. Their is a small area directly behind the unit, but couldn't seem to get them to stay there. I recommend routing towards the bottom.

I will update when I hear from Coastal.

Hypo

Hypo
05-31-07, 03:40 PM
Coastal E Tech is sending me a new Super lockpick to replace the one that was dead on arrival. They said that they live test each lockpick on a radio unit before sending it out, so they suspect that it is a cable issue. I am to return the original unit once I install the new one.

It was a very quick E-mail response from Coastal E Tech.

Hypo

nmc219
05-31-07, 07:14 PM
thanks for the info. let me know how it works out for you, mine is hopefully on its way. it seems like a pain in the ass to install the damn thing, but once its in how does the product work?

thanks