: why when i slam 2nd......

04CTSVFLA
05-26-07, 08:23 PM
When I wind first gear out, and then slam 2nd gear in a racing situation, I get some hop....but more noticibly, the rpms pretty much stay pegged at redline all the way through 2nd. (is this due to the hop??) 2nd doesnt really wind out, it just waits to grab...rpms stay right around redline (they dont retract from when I redline 1st)

To make it clearer....when I shift from 2-3...rpms drop to say 5300 and then I get to wind the gear back out to redline....however with 1-2.....when I shift at redline into 2nd, rpms stay at redline while I hope and lose traction.then right at 60/61/62/63 mph (when 2nd redlines) it grabs and winds out for the last 2-300 rpms before I must shift into 3rd.

My question is. Is this slowing me down? speeding me up? Or neither its just I need more tire back there? or a wheel hop kit.

50 4Ever
05-26-07, 09:08 PM
I haven't ever done exactly that but it sure sounds strange to me. I would imagine it is due to wheel spin. When I redline in 2nd and quick shift to 3rd the tires will break loose.

That's a strange one....

wildwhl
05-26-07, 09:12 PM
Or clutch slip. Do you notice a burnt clutch smell?

WW

50 4Ever
05-26-07, 09:15 PM
Or clutch slip. Do you notice a burnt clutch smell?

WW

... or wasn't there a TSB on the 04's saying that shifts at high revs the clutch wouldn't engage or the pedal would stay down to the floor? Seems like the fix was a new pressure plate. Been so long ago I can't remember....

The Tony Show
05-26-07, 09:58 PM
... or wasn't there a TSB on the 04's saying that shifts at high revs the clutch wouldn't engage or the pedal would stay down to the floor? Seems like the fix was a new pressure plate. Been so long ago I can't remember....

If it's hopping the clutch isn't slipping, nor are the pressure plate springs hanging like in the TSB.

"Slamming" a gear doesn't make you faster, as you've discovered. Try a smooth, quick shift and quickly roll on the throttle instead of what you're doing. Your wheels are spinning and hopping instead of hooking, and you're not going anywhere during this.

Try my suggestion- not only will you be faster, but you'll greatly reduce the chances of ending the race on a flatbed.

wildwhl
05-26-07, 10:55 PM
Wonder if it is hopping, or more of a "bounce off the rev-limiter" when the clutch pedal sticks to the floor?

WW

The Hog
05-26-07, 11:35 PM
Yeah I run into the same thing when im dicking around, if I grab second too hard with traction control off it just kills the tires (on the street). At the track it just barks them and keeps going. Really doesn't make you go much faster but it is rather impressive to have a daily driver that will bark the tires from on 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 :-).

04CTSVFLA
05-27-07, 01:28 AM
clutch pedal definetly isnt sticking....and i am going somewhere when this occurs, in fact the mph's seem too jump....ill try and take a video of my tach, although that will be hard to accomplish as i dont have any equipment to do so.....no burn smell either, im not riding the clutch out, im on and off the clutch instantly, the rpms just stay right pretty much at redline through 2nd gear

CTS-V420
05-27-07, 02:02 AM
you just suck at driving...

4DRVETT
05-27-07, 05:01 AM
Whoa...glad I read this. Not to hijack your thread, but I just witnessed something similar to the "hanging" pressure plate springs described. On the freeway onramp this evening, I gunned it from a roll in second. When I shifted to third (at redline) the clutch stayed on the floor for about a second or so. I thought it was caught on the mat, but this makes sense now. Mine's an '05 though...what gives? PM me with suggestions, as I don't want to turn this man's thread into mine. :thehand: Thanks!

-Erik Valdez
Circo Meta Forma
Graphic Design, Decals, Banners, T-Shirts, etc.

darkman
05-27-07, 07:32 AM
When I wind first gear out, and then slam 2nd gear in a racing situation, I get some hop....but more noticibly, the rpms pretty much stay pegged at redline all the way through 2nd. (is this due to the hop??) 2nd doesnt really wind out, it just waits to grab...rpms stay right around redline (they dont retract from when I redline 1st)

My first guess would be clutch slippage. If that is not the case your tires are slippiing which means the track won't hold the power your trying to put down. If that is the case you might be better off short shifting out of first gear so that you arrive in second gear at an RPM that the track will hold. The result may seem slower because you won't experience the wheel hop and you rpm will be lower, but your forward progress should improve.

hurley64
05-27-07, 09:45 AM
Whoa...glad I read this. Not to hijack your thread, but I just witnessed something similar to the "hanging" pressure plate springs described. On the freeway onramp this evening, I gunned it from a roll in second. When I shifted to third (at redline) the clutch stayed on the floor for about a second or so. I thought it was caught on the mat, but this makes sense now. Mine's an '05 though...what gives? PM me with suggestions, as I don't want to turn this man's thread into mine. :thehand: Thanks!

-Erik Valdez
Circo Meta Forma
Graphic Design, Decals, Banners, T-Shirts, etc.

'05s are affected by this TSB as well.

John

urbanski
05-27-07, 09:54 AM
you just suck at driving...

:haha:

JonCR96Z
05-27-07, 01:53 PM
I've experienced clutch slipping similar to what you're talking about, but when its that bad it will do the same in ever gear. So there is no way you're clutch is slipping if its only the 1-2 shift. Well, atleast not from wear.

Jon