: any tips for inserting fuel injector back into fuel rail?

fpmesiIII
05-26-07, 04:39 PM
i am killing myself trying to put these back in. i have 2 done. but literally have to take a 10 minute break. because i was pushing so hard. i oiled up the o-ring too.

ewill3rd
05-26-07, 05:11 PM
Clean all the fuel out of the injector openings.
Get a rag, put some motor oil on it and if you can wipe the inner radius of the rail with the rag or something you can get in there.
The gas will wash the oil off if you don't get it out of the way.
Keep the injector straight and push and they should slide right in.
Don't forget to put the retainers on the top and snap them in place to hold the injectors in the rail.

eldorado1
05-26-07, 05:38 PM
What I do is put it in at kind of an angle and twist/wiggle it in. Double check that they gave you the right o-rings.... if it takes longer than 2 seconds, something's wrong.

ewill3rd
05-26-07, 05:40 PM
Sometimes I actually have an oil cap full of oil and dip the end of the injector right in.
It won't hurt it.

fpmesiIII
05-26-07, 07:09 PM
cool thanks for the info. i found wiggling it to help, instead for trying to force it right in. i got them all in and the car starts fine. but it sounds kinda rough. took it for a spin and PC0300 code popped up. it seems like its back firing a little when idling.

eldorado1
05-26-07, 07:19 PM
300 is a random misfire, right? Probably have a vacuum leak somewhere. Double check that you reconnected the FPR vacuum line.

fpmesiIII
05-26-07, 07:57 PM
yep, its connected. do you think the fuel injectors could be shitty. and yes the P0300 is a engine misfire code. i just took it for another spin. it is still running rough and throwing the code.

Ranger
05-26-07, 07:59 PM
How old are the wires? A misfire after the fuel rail recall is common from moving old heat cycled wires around. It happened to me.

fpmesiIII
05-26-07, 08:05 PM
plugs and wires are less than a year old. and the fuel line was recalled a long time before i bought the car.

again i did buy the injectors used off ebay so they could be a problem or would injectors not cause these problems. maybe it was something i forgot to do when putting everything back together.

Ranger
05-26-07, 08:07 PM
:hmm: Check the plug wires. Maybe you didn't quite seat one all the way.

fpmesiIII
05-26-07, 08:16 PM
yeah, i just went out and took the beauty cover off. ill check the wires. so you guys def. dont think its the injectors.

oh yeah. i did make a boo boo. first time i started the car. i didnt have the four front wires in.

edit: whoops looks like i made a second boo boo. i put the #4 wire in the the #2 spark plug hole. is this bad? did i screw anything up permanently?

Ranger
05-26-07, 08:18 PM
It's possible. Why did you have the injectors out in the first place?

fpmesiIII
05-26-07, 08:35 PM
the reason i replaced the injectors was that some were leaky (mechanic told me this) so i decided to find another set of injectors. found a good deal on ebay, bought the whole intake with connectors and injectors for $50.

so i replaced the ebay one's today. hoping that it would correct my hard start when the engine is hot. i have replaced the FPR recently but it did not help. the injectors seem to be good. theres no hesitation when driving after taking the foot off the gas for a couple seconds and back on. normally that problem is associated with a dirty throttle body. but that has been cleaned. when i first got the car it was so thick with black stuff it wasnt funny.

but yeah mainly i switched out the injectors because of the hard hot start.

edit: would having wire number 4 in plug number 2 cause any lasting problems? it runs smooth as butter now and starts great. i only drove with the wires incorrect for about 5 minutes. i did give it some hard WOTs to see if it would fix the roughness and misfires.

Ranger
05-26-07, 08:46 PM
edit: would having wire number 4 in plug number 2 cause any lasting problems?
Absolutely. #4 is firing when #2 should be and vice versa. Your firing order is wrong and thus you have a misfire.

eldorado1
05-26-07, 08:48 PM
edit: would having wire number 4 in plug number 2 cause any lasting problems?

Naw, you can't hurt anything, but you can make a lot of racket. As long as the starter didn't get chewed up, you're fine.

Ranger
05-26-07, 08:55 PM
OH, "lasting" problems. I didn't read that. No. Your fine. Thanks for the catch Eldorado1.

fpmesiIII
05-26-07, 09:44 PM
ok cool, thanks guys. yeah i made the correction immediately, runs good.

fpmesiIII
05-27-07, 12:59 PM
the problem still exists. still getting the P0300 code as current and still running pretty rough. not as bad as when the wires were reversed. all the wires are in and in the right location. i looked over everything on the engine. any ideas why this code would still be occuring?

it starts wonderfully just seems there is stumble and hesitation when driving.

barryr
06-02-07, 10:24 PM
I have a 94 sls N*, I had some injector wires that were fused together causing 2 to stay open full time. Car ran rough and blew white smoke from raw gas going thru the exhaust. The wiring in question was before it goes under the intake as it wraps around the thermo housing.
barry