: Cutting Rotors ?

outofdablue
05-24-07, 12:48 PM
Is is possible to cut just one rotor. My passenger side rear brakes have an awful squeak to them. Its only one side though, I wanted to know if its a good idea to cut just one side. I know when your dealing with wheels and brakes that you do everything in pairs. So should i get both of the rears cut ?

ZX_man
05-24-07, 01:08 PM
It is, but I wouldn't do it IMO, do them both. First have them measured for thickness to make sure they are not out of spec.

Walter

hcvone
05-24-07, 02:23 PM
As said I would have them cut in pairs, both fronts or both rears

wht2000
05-24-07, 03:01 PM
No reputable shop would ever cut just one rotor. Also, what makes you think the rotor needs cutting? Just because of a squeak? I'd have the brakes checked by a qualified mechanic before you go cutting the rotors...I've always thought that was a last resort...the less metal the more the possiblility of warping due to heat.

Viking88
05-25-07, 11:14 AM
Wagner Thermo-Quiet ceramic pads will do wonders for your squeek - even the non-ceramic versions will do the trick

hcvone
05-25-07, 04:25 PM
No reputable shop would ever cut just one rotor. Also, what makes you think the rotor needs cutting? Just because of a squeak? I'd have the brakes checked by a qualified mechanic before you go cutting the rotors...I've always thought that was a last resort...the less metal the more the possiblility of warping due to heat.

I have seen a dealership cut just one before, personally seen it. :(

ewill3rd
05-25-07, 07:49 PM
There are almost as many answers to that question as there are members of this forum.

You certainly could cut just one, but as mentioned there are a lot of things that can go into the decision making process.
Are they too thin already? Are they rusted too much?
How is the drum surface inside the rotor hat? Is the park brake okay?

Also, turning the rotor may not address the source for the squeak in the first place.

A qualified technician should evaluate the brake system and offer you a recommendation on what to do with an estimate.