: Need suggestions for detailing

Rambo
04-03-04, 03:10 PM
I would like someone to please recommend to me a brand of wax to use. Right now all I've got is Meguirs Gold, is that good enough? Is there anything else I should be using on my car to make it shine? I'm also using Mothers Chrome polish for my wheels, is that sufficient, or is there a better alternative.

Whats the best product to use when cleaning the carpet in cars? Whats the best product to use to clean the leather?

Can someone please tell me how to get the swirl marks out of my paint? I know theres a way, but I can't remember how. And can this method be used on my wheels?

Also, there's a few scratches and scuffs on my car and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to repair them.

Sorry about all the questions, I'm new to detailing.

Thank you!

-Kevin

hcvone
04-03-04, 03:27 PM
I would like someone to please recommend to me a brand of wax to use. Right now all I've got is Meguirs Gold, is that good enough? Is there anything else I should be using on my car to make it shine? I'm also using Mothers Chrome polish for my wheels, is that sufficient, or is there a better alternative.

Whats the best product to use when cleaning the carpet in cars? Whats the best product to use to clean the leather?

Can someone please tell me how to get the swirl marks out of my paint? I know theres a way, but I can't remember how. And can this method be used on my wheels?

Also, there's a few scratches and scuffs on my car and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to repair them.

Sorry about all the questions, I'm new to detailing.

Thank you!

-Kevin

Meguiar's Gold Class is a good average wax, if you want something to last longer then go to a synthetic wax product like Zaino, Klasse or even Liquid Glass, these will outlast carnauba waxes up to 5 to 1 in how long they will protect. To remove light scratches and swirl marks I would use a product like 3M Scratch and Swirl Remover, this product is best used with a buffer, but can be used by hand, you can get this at most Pep Boys type stores, this product will work on scratches, but if they are deep scratches you may want to use something with a little more abrasive first, like a 3M Liquid Rubbing Compound, then follow with a scratch and swirl remover. If you do not have a buffer you may want to talk to some detail shops or body shops that could do this for you. Mother's is a good choice for aluminum wheels as long as they are not clear coated. Leather products like Zaino or Lexol to name a few will work very well, as long as your leather is in fairly good shape.

Msilva954
04-03-04, 03:40 PM
Zaino is supposed to be the best but now meguires has a new syn called NXT. Its supposed to be the best consumer product on the market now besides zaino and its only $13. That'll be what I get next. Ive got gold class on now and ive heard that NXT is way better then even the gold class.

hcvone
04-03-04, 08:44 PM
Zaino is supposed to be the best but now meguires has a new syn called NXT. Its supposed to be the best consumer product on the market now besides zaino and its only $13. That'll be what I get next. Ive got gold class on now and ive heard that NXT is way better then even the gold class.

We of couse lab test all competors products ;) we have to, and I know if you read the different Forums (and I moderate several) the NXT gives a great shine because it has double the oils that Gold Class has, but most people have reported getting only 3-4 weeks durablity, that is because if you read their MSDS sheets on their web site the product only contains 1-5 % polymer blend, and 2-10 % oils. Unlike Zaino that contains no abrasives their product contains 5-15% Calcined Kaolin Clay, while mild this is an abrasive. Try it for yourselfs, I did. :)

Msilva954
04-03-04, 09:09 PM
hcvone, did you like it? On detailcity many have said that those MSDS sheets are bull, and they said that the abrasive is so minute that it would pose no harm. Id love to try zaino and one day I will, but did you think NXT was comparable at all to Zaino?

I wax once a month so durability doesnt have to be the highest.

Rambo
04-04-04, 01:02 AM
http://www21.3m.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry10?xid=28181&SP=10023&PN=1&V1=267747&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

Is this what your talking about hcvone? Will this stuff get rid of moderate scratches and abrasions? And would I go about applying it? Wax applicator? If you don't mind I'd like a quick walk-through of how to use this stuff please.

Oh, and my mom picked me up a bottle of Black Magic Liquid Wax at Wal-Mart today, is that a good wax to use?

Thanks a lot!

-Kevin

hcvone
04-04-04, 07:21 AM
hcvone, did you like it? On detailcity many have said that those MSDS sheets are bull, and they said that the abrasive is so minute that it would pose no harm. Id love to try zaino and one day I will, but did you think NXT was comparable at all to Zaino?

I wax once a month so durability doesnt have to be the highest.

Back in the 80's and 90's our shops applied more Meguiar's products than anyone in the US, the problem we had then (although being in the detail business, you only want the products to last so long if your in the business of detailing customers cars) is the same problem as their products have today, they just do not last that long in the durablity area, now for a Sunday car durablity may not matter, but for people that have to drive their cars and trucks in the real world durablity does matter, would you want to HAVE to wax your car 10-12 times a year to keep it protected and looking good, or would you want a product that you can apply 2-4 times a year that does the same thing? Personally I do not enjoy waxing my car 10-12 times a year in the cold, but that is just me. To answer your question NXT and Zaino are nothing alike, NXT is a cleaner wax, Zaino has no cleaners or abrasives, NXT can not be layered because being a cleaner wax each application remove what is on the surface, with Zaino you can layer and build added protection with more coats. The paint on new cars is very soft due to environmental restrictions and the use of solvents, and abrasives can leave micro surface scratching, and using this over the year these will show up more and more. It's not like rubbing sand on your finish, these abrasives are very mild, Zaino just believes that your car does not need to see abrasives on a regular basis.

hcvone
04-04-04, 07:27 AM
http://www21.3m.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry10?xid=28181&SP=10023&PN=1&V1=267747&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

Is this what your talking about hcvone? Will this stuff get rid of moderate scratches and abrasions? And would I go about applying it? Wax applicator? If you don't mind I'd like a quick walk-through of how to use this stuff please.

Oh, and my mom picked me up a bottle of Black Magic Liquid Wax at Wal-Mart today, is that a good wax to use?

Thanks a lot!

-Kevin

Kevin, yes that is the stuff. You can apply it with a wax applicator, it is best when used with a buffer, but can be done by hand, it is a lot of work by hand but I have done it many times. You will want to apply it in a bumper to bumper direction, do not apply circular motions, this will cause more swirls to appear. After you get your car looking good with the 3M, then wash your car with Dawn dishwashing liquid, this will strip any silicone oils off the car and let whatever wax your using adhere better. Black Magic is an average wax, synthetics will last much longer

Rambo
04-04-04, 11:31 AM
Kevin, yes that is the stuff. You can apply it with a wax applicator, it is best when used with a buffer, but can be done by hand, it is a lot of work by hand but I have done it many times. You will want to apply it in a bumper to bumper direction, do not apply circular motions, this will cause more swirls to appear. After you get your car looking good with the 3M, then wash your car with Dawn dishwashing liquid, this will strip any silicone oils off the car and let whatever wax your using adhere better. Black Magic is an average wax, synthetics will last much longer

By bumper to bumper do you mean back and fourth? As in one direction only? I'm sure glad I asked how to use this stuff before I tried it myself.

Has anyone use this stuff on their entire car? Or do you just use it on the really bad area's?

Thank you!

-Kevin

hcvone
04-04-04, 11:42 AM
By bumper to bumper do you mean back and fourth? As in one direction only? I'm sure glad I asked how to use this stuff before I tried it myself.

Has anyone use this stuff on their entire car? Or do you just use it on the really bad area's?

Thank you!

-Kevin

You are correct, go back and fourth and not in a circular motion. I have done whole cars, and just areas that needed some repair, if you do your whole car your arms will be tired ;)

Msilva954
04-04-04, 12:56 PM
hcvone, so what would you recommend for a 12 yr old car with white paint. The finish is near perfect in my opinion and its been claybared recently. Its also a florida car.

hcvone
04-04-04, 02:47 PM
hcvone, so what would you recommend for a 12 yr old car with white paint. The finish is near perfect in my opinion and its been claybared recently. Its also a florida car.

It depends on how often you drive the car, if it's a daily driver and your looking for a product that will give you a great shine and long lasting protection then a synthetic product like Zaino or Klasse would be good choices, if the car is not driven daily or you do not mind waxing your car once a month (aprox) then I would use a product like P21S or Mother's Gold. Shine is also very subjective, you may like the look that a carnauba wax gives you with the oils, with synthetic you get a very reflective shine. :)

Aurora40
04-04-04, 03:16 PM
My two cents... Rambo, what are you looking for in terms of product durability, cost, amount of time spent, amount of money spent, etc? If you want to buy stuff at Target or Wal-Mart or something, NXT is really nice. Scratch-X is a good product for the scratches and scuffs you mentioned, though it's quite likely you won't be able to fully repair them without adding paint.

Swirls mean different things to different people. Some people consider light spider-web marring to be swirls, and those can easily be taken out by hand with an abrasive product like Meguiar's Swirl-Free Polish or #9 or some 3M products that I'm not overly familiar with (maybe 3M Swirl Mark Remover? I think Perfect-It is a bit more aggressive). To others, horrific deep swirls that you can see from 20' away are what they consider swirls, and those can be difficult or impossible to remove without a rotary and some more aggressive compounds, or possibly may require wet sanding.

So my advice is to try something that isn't incredibly aggressive and see how it does. Step it up if you can't remove them.

If you want to go further than Wal-Mart, places like Pep-Boys will carry Meg's pro lineup and probably some 3M stuff. I have found Meguiar's #16 Professional Paste Wax to be incredibly durable, and it is easy to apply. It's gone 3 months on my daily-driver/beater in the salt of winter and was still beading very well when I reapplied it. You could also probably find 3M Perfect-It Show Car Paste Wax which I've heard good things about.

If you want to go all out, you can order products like Klasse or Zaino or others. You will not likely find those in stores unless you live near one of the boutique distributors of such products (like California or Florida, not Iowa...) You can probably find Liquid Glass locally, or Meguiar's #20 Polymer Sealant if you want a sealant product (that's what Zaino and Klasse are).

Or if you don't care that much, you could just buy Meguiar's or Mother's Cleaner/Wax and do it all in one step to clean and protect. Though this will not correct much swirling nor will the wax last that long. They do tend to do a nice job on oxidation and dirt, though. I've also heard 3M One-Step Cleaner Wax and Medium Oxidation Remover is awesome on oxidation.

Since you are new to detailing, if I were you I would start small. Buy something nice that you can get locally, and learn how to use it well. Then when you get a feel for the correct process, you'll have a better idea of what you want the product to do and what products you would prefer to use (since you'll know what you want it to do). See what I mean?

I'd buy a nice wash mitt (I like sheepskin), two buckets that are just for car washing, some nice soft new 100% cotton or microfiber towels, some nice foam polishing pads, a quality car wash, and a dedicated wheel cleaner. Then you'll at least be using good tools, and getting a feel for how to use them. I'd say buy a cleaner/wax from Meguiar's or Mother's or just use that Black Magic stuff you got. If the Black Magic isn't a cleaner product, buy something like Mother's or Meguiar's Step 1 cleaner and use that first. Maybe you'll love the results and be happy, or maybe you'll hate the effort and not want to do it, or maybe you'll love the effort and like the results and you'll feel like you know where you want to go from there. At least you won't have dropped a ton of money or spent a ton of time to discover what you're really looking for. :)

Aurora40
04-04-04, 03:24 PM
There are no best products for leather or carpets. Just a lot of good ones that various people feel are the best. Again, locally you can get Meguiar's something-or-other Carpet Cleaner. I've found it works well on most stuff, but it depends on what you carpets are dirty with. But for general dirt, it's good.

I love Lexol's leather cleaner, and their conditioner is certainly nice. The smell of the conditioner is nice but not really my fave. I personally don't like Meguiar's leather products (the ones I've used anyway). But they aren't bad, just not for me. But it all depends on the condition of the leather... When we got the GS, it had 100,000 miles of dirt in the creases. The vinyl on the doors was really dirty too. I ended up using a product called Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner Plus on the leather and the vinyl. I then followed it up with Lexol Cleaner and then Conditioner on the leather to remove any trace of the APC+ cleaner and then to renourish the leather. It came out incredible. Only some staining/carpet wear on the drivers side remained. I also used APC+ on the engine. However, this stuff comes in gallon sizes, gets diluted, and is very hard to find locally. Start small... ;)

http://members.aol.com/aurora402002/regal/intdriv.jpg

http://members.aol.com/aurora402002/regal/intpass.jpg

http://members.aol.com/aurora402002/regal/intrear.jpg

http://members.aol.com/aurora402002/regal/100k.jpg

http://members.aol.com/aurora402002/regal/eng.jpg

Msilva954
04-04-04, 03:42 PM
hcvone, what I meant was what would you recommend when it comes to Zaino, the car is daily driven.

hcvone
04-04-04, 09:11 PM
hcvone, what I meant was what would you recommend when it comes to Zaino, the car is daily driven.
Z-1 or ZFX, I would get the ZFX and Z-2 for a light color car (yours being white). If you use (or want to use) a detailer spray then Z-6 Gloss Spray would be another good item as well as Z-7 Car Wash, you can use any wash with our products as long as it does not contain carnauba wax, some car washes add this, and it can leave a film on cars that use synthetic wax like Zaino or Klasse.

snaayk
04-11-04, 11:33 PM
I just picked up my SRX two days ago and am disturbed!!

What would you all suggest for a Black car? I washed it and attempted to dry it and got major streaking. I'm sure it's waxed from the dealer or factory. What's my best bet going forward everytime I clean it? It's driven daily in Florida? When cars are waxed can they still be washed? as in between waxes? It's disheartening to see all the streaks and smudges after a wash - and after spending $70 at Wal-Mart. Although after this thread I think I'm returning everything tomorrow for some of the mentioned products (or anything else that someone might suggest)...TIA

Msilva954
04-12-04, 08:27 AM
If you want the best go with hcvone and zaino, but if you want a good or best consumer product go with the new Meguiars NXT. You can find that at walmart and you wont spend $70 like you did I would say more like $40 tops.

snaayk
04-12-04, 09:03 AM
That's for the waxing, no? How about in between washes? What should be used on waxed vehicles and is drying with a chammy ok? My previous car was white and before that a khaki-green - Black is quite a bit different :)

Msilva954
04-12-04, 09:39 AM
I just use a high sudding wash by meguires or eagle one, almost all are very close to eachother, just keep an eye on the texture of the water as you wash, if it loses its slickness dump the water and do a fresh mixture. I use the absober to dry the car.

Even though it is new I suggest doing a clay bar treatment to the car. Ive used the mothers.

Rambo
04-13-04, 01:33 PM
hcvone: I tried the 3M Swirl Remover on a small section of my car. It only seemed to make it worse....Well, I guess i don't know for sure. Maybe it's supposed to do that, and then I just wash and wax it afterwards. I did it as you recommended, in one direction. Looked like I just put a bunch of really tiny scratches into the paint. Am supposed to continue doing this to the entire body and then wash and wax it? By doing that will it get rid of everything?

-Kevin