: Ricer Boy Yesterday...

pimpcaddy
05-23-07, 01:43 PM
I had to pick up some pork buns on the way home yesterday. After I parked, this rice boy jumps out of his box Scion and bombards me with a few questions. Does it have a V12? What series is it? How much did I pay?

SOME Kids today aren't real true car enthusists.

That is all.

pimpcaddy

RamAir02
05-23-07, 01:55 PM
There still are young real TRUE car enthusiasts, but they are few and far between. Its sad what people are interested in these days.

nikon
05-23-07, 02:01 PM
your V doesn't have a V12???

whisler151
05-23-07, 02:08 PM
I agree with RamAir02...not sure what you are classifying as 'young' but there are a lot of us in our 20's that know a lot more than the rice rocket boy. I get ignorant questions all the time from people of all ages that don't have a clue what the V is...I guess what I'm getting at is that you cant categorize peoples knowledge of cars by their age. My favorite is when they try to guess the price..."How much did that set you back...$35k?'' I WISH!!!!!
Glad to hear a rice boy appreciates our Vs

RamAir02
05-23-07, 02:15 PM
Yep I'm 20 years old and have had an appreciation for REAL cars my entire life. My first car was a 2000 Trans Am WS6 that I bought completely stock. I researched for two years learning the ins and outs of f-bodies before I even owned one. By the time I bought the car, I had a full list of mods I wanted to do. At the time of my trade in (for the V) the car was putting down high 450's on the dynojet. So although I am young and a "kid", I have a great appreciation for "real" cars. My friends marvel at the way I can name the year, brand, and model of cars on the road from the 1940s, 50s, 60s, and 70s. I have done my research and have a true passion for American cars.

Not all of us "kids" have been brainwashed....

Holmes815
05-23-07, 02:54 PM
I think most "people" not just kids are easily influenced by trendy movies (ie Fast & Furious) and current social fads; most people want to run with the pack instead of lead it, or maybe it's just that they can't keep up with the V!! Even though most of the shit people ask is rediculous you have the same trendy movies to thank for even getting people to ask these questions; I'm sure it's not a coincidence that the horsepower wars have started up again in the past five years and at around the same time it became cool to talk about cars. Thank God for that because things were seeming bleek unless you wanted a Cobra or an M3.

--James

RunningOnEMT
05-23-07, 03:42 PM
i um, like cars... they go vroom... the loud pedal is on the right...

just kidding..i'm one of those new generation car nuts. I have been building and fixing cars since i was in high school. I got a late start but i know what i'm talking about. I appreciate good engineering, being an engineering myself so yeah, i'm sounding completely incoherent from lack of sleep so i'm going to go pass out in a pile of oilpans or something.

heavymetals
05-23-07, 03:45 PM
I think it's cool if anybody asks me about the V (except the cops when they stop me).

I don't expect them to know anything (that's why they are asking) and I think it is a big compliment to the V that it draws that kind of attention.

RunningOnEMT
05-23-07, 03:53 PM
the only times i've ever been asked anything in deatil about the V were ironically enough at Lindsay the last couple times i've been there for oilchanges/service

Someone always comes up to me and asks what its got in it, or some other question. They've never seen one, or "i gotta get me one of those" is usually what i hear.

HushH
05-23-07, 03:57 PM
I think most "people" not just kids are easily influenced by trendy movies (ie Fast & Furious) and current social fads; most people want to run with the pack instead of lead it, or maybe it's just that they can't keep up with the V!! Even though most of the shit people ask is rediculous you have the same trendy movies to thank for even getting people to ask these questions; I'm sure it's not a coincidence that the horsepower wars have started up again in the past five years and at around the same time it became cool to talk about cars. Thank God for that because things were seeming bleek unless you wanted a Cobra or an M3.

--James

:werd:

LV_V
05-23-07, 07:06 PM
I find it weird that people ask if it has a V12. I have been asked this NUMEROUS times; probably the most asked question I have received over the years. Very odd... Would be nice ;)

dqw1
05-23-07, 07:22 PM
I think our younger members are offended.
Most Ricers know what the V is. I went to my 1st autocross to watch and noticed most of the racers were over 30 and not as many young guys as I expected and none of the typical ricers. There was only one WRX STI but I wouldn't called that one a ricer because it runs hard.
So my question is-why is it you see these riced up (fill in the blank) on the street but they don't/won't autocross?

pimpcaddy
05-23-07, 07:37 PM
My comments about the Ricer boy were not directed at the younger members of our forum. My observation was simply that the Ricer boy was not a true car enthusiast because of his lack of knowledge of the V.

dqw1
05-23-07, 08:24 PM
I don't think you were pointing at our guys at all so I hope my comments didn't imply that.

Seattle CTS-V
05-23-07, 10:04 PM
your V doesn't have a V12???

Funny story, I saw an S600 with V12 badges on it... Now, I think the S600 does possibly have a V12, but there were V12 badges all over the car. Obviously added aftermarket. Even on the pillar behind the rear passenger window. Soooooo ghetto! So many stickers make me think it wasn't even an S600.

1QUICKV
05-23-07, 10:10 PM
well some people know somethings and others know other things... I know the comment was'it at us on this forum but the young kids that just want fast cars. Not ever kid like me had a father who owned and worked on cars all his life... So i think i know somethings.

Short Story: I had this guy ask me what type of car it was (V) and I said it's a CADILLAC! the he goes what does it have a v12? i got Noooooo. It has a Corvette motor. Then after the light changed i was like what if it did have a v12..... such a small car and so much class mmmmmm

V-Love
05-23-07, 10:36 PM
I'm just pissed I only had work trucks through my 20's. Then again, there was no V. You guys are lucky bastards as the H.P. wars make a mini-comeback. Congratulations you sons of bitches. By the way, tell ricer boy its a flex-fuel or a hybrid. I love using that one. I may even get an emblem and put it on the trunk where the CTS is.

mole177
05-24-07, 01:56 AM
lol... Why doesn't the left brake work ???

mole177
05-24-07, 02:03 AM
Funny story, I saw an S600 with V12 badges on it... Now, I think the S600 does possibly have a V12, but there were V12 badges all over the car. Obviously added aftermarket. Even on the pillar behind the rear passenger window. Soooooo ghetto! So many stickers make me think it wasn't even an S600.

the badge behind the passenger window is stock, as well as one right behind the front wheel.

but i dont think those can haul ass... S62 or 55 on the otherhand...

4DRVETT
05-24-07, 03:17 AM
As for the S600's; they are "proudly" badged in a number of places. Living in LA, I see the badge game played all the time...there's someone in my building with an E320, completely rebadged as an E55 right down to the Kompressor badges on the side...in short, it wouldn't surprise me if this guy decided to spend a hundred bucks on badges to be socially accepted. BTW, the more modern S600's rip! They're twin turbocharged V12's making 510hp and 612 lb/ft torque!! But I digress...I am quite definitely the biggest car geek I've ever met. I'm fascinated by just about anything with a motor and subsequently, have an appreciation for everything including, <gasp> some "rice rockets!" :hide: I've owned 18 different vehicles (including bikes, cars, race cars, karts, trucks) and don't see that trend stopping anytime soon!

-Erik Valdez
Circo Meta Forma
Graphic Design, Decals, Banners, T-Shirts, etc.

rand49er
05-24-07, 07:24 AM
I think I have a partial explanation for Ricer Boy ...

Wife and I went to San Francisco last week to visit her son (my stepson) in Mountain View (he works for Google). We drove around a bit for the four days while there (Golden Gate bridge, Santa Cruz, etc), and I noticed something very different there: A full 75-80% of the vehicles on the roads were Japanese or other Aisian makes, about 15-ish % were German, and the remaining were domestic (<10%). Out of the many, many cars I saw were only three regular CTS's LET ALONE a CTS-V! I saw three M3's, several 350Z's, etc. ... much more rare in Detroit area. Now, this all compares to a very different percentage vehicle makeup here in SE Mich.

I guess the point is, the kid just hasn't encountered many V's and is immersed in ricer culture.

Just my $0.02.

godofwine7
05-24-07, 08:02 AM
Im an avid V owner in my early 20's and I spend way to much modding it, i think part of the reason for the ricer craze is it is most often cheaper to mod a ricer than American muscle due to the amount of competition in the mod market for japanese cars. Ive put almost the price of the car into the car as mods and if you did that on a ricer you would have a monster if it were done right. just my .02

GMBOUND
05-24-07, 11:36 AM
Imagine, enlightening a GM car sales man at a chevy dealership that, the V Does not have a V12 engine??
Get this man it has an LS2, the sameone in that vette parked there.

Almost wanted to stop by the manager's office and inform him he needed to train his people better on the GM lineup.

ahahnu
05-24-07, 11:53 AM
My favorite story of V ignorance is the day I bought the car. I was sitting in one in the showroom, and some guy appoaches, looks in and says my god a stick in a Cadillac.

When you're out driving, look how many people don't even take care of their car by washing it let alone anything else. Most people couldn't be bothered. When i worked in NYC, my coworkers thought I was nuts for caring about my car so much. I find that alot of people atleast in this area well can't even pump their own gas let alone change the oil. Then you get into different demographics more people are more prone to wrench on their own cars. My old High School removed the auto shop program. That was the most fun for the two classes I took in High School. The V is a little too technologically advanced for me. But I still love it and try to know as much as possible.

parexa
05-24-07, 07:11 PM
LoL man its just a car, the one you will replace every 2 or 3 years. No need to wax it every day.

Dennisscars
05-24-07, 08:04 PM
Imagine, enlightening a GM car sales man at a chevy dealership that, the V Does not have a V12 engine??
Get this man it has an LS2, the sameone in that vette parked there.

Almost wanted to stop by the manager's office and inform him he needed to train his people better on the GM lineup.

My first trip to the dealer, I asked for a brochure for the CTS-V. I was quickly corrected, it was a CTS-"Roman numeral 5"... I stood there in disbelief...:holycrap: "r-i-i-i-i-i-ight.... I'll be leaving now..

theloanman219
05-24-07, 08:22 PM
LoL man its just a car, the one you will replace every 2 or 3 years. No need to wax it every day.

This not just a car! :thepan: This car is like a addiction. Hook line and sinker. I have always though that corvette guys had a feeling in there gut that always makes them buy corvettes and I never understood why until now. This car is for most of us the most fun car that we have ever owned. It is big enough for our young families. It is big enough for the younger guys to bring out their friends. (and some of us... not to mention any names to take strippers for a very crazy 1200 mile journey!) And it is taller and easier to get in and out of for the older crowd. Bottom line is once you own a V it is tough to even think about anything else. For the $$ it is the most bang for the buck by far. Yes it has its problems but let me tell you something ALL cars do. As a matter of fact there are guys here that sold theirs and realized that owning it is special and they go and buy another. :thumbsup:

Just my .02

:sbox:

LV_V
05-24-07, 08:27 PM
My first trip to the dealer, I asked for a brochure for the CTS-V. I was quickly corrected, it was a CTS-"Roman numeral 5"... I stood there in disbelief...:holycrap: "r-i-i-i-i-i-ight.... I'll be leaving now..
Nice!! :bouncy: Now that is funny!

Dennisscars
05-24-07, 08:39 PM
Nice!! :bouncy: Now that is funny!
Thanks L Roman numeral 5_5 :highfive:

whisler151
05-24-07, 09:48 PM
This not just a car! :thepan: This car is like a addiction. Hook line and sinker. I have always though that corvette guys had a feeling in there gut that always makes them buy corvettes and I never understood why until now. This car is for most of us the most fun car that we have ever owned. It is big enough for our young families. It is big enough for the younger guys to bring out their friends. (and some of us... not to mention any names to take strippers for a very crazy 1200 mile journey!) And it is taller and easier to get in and out of for the older crowd. Bottom line is once you own a V it is tough to even think about anything else. For the $$ it is the most bang for the buck by far. Yes it has its problems but let me tell you something ALL cars do. As a matter of fact there are guys here that sold theirs and realized that owning it is special and they go and buy another. :thumbsup:

Just my .02

:sbox:

Thanks for addressing that one...I was about to say a little something myself!

Kmajecki
05-24-07, 09:48 PM
I once had a guy at McDonald's ask me if the V was a Ferrari. I couldn't tell if he was serious but i fear that he was...Hmm 4 door Ferrari, aren't those called Maseratis? On a side note way back when i saw an Integra with a V12 badge on the window....Turns out that was his brand of stereo or Alpine amplifier or something. Glad i found that out before ripping into him

ahahnu
05-25-07, 04:41 PM
Maseratis-notice how the Quattro Porte is running very similar numbers for twice the dough.

whisler151
05-25-07, 09:53 PM
Speaking of Maserati...This guy in a bar was talking about how his car could go 0-60 in 2.8 seconds and I overheard (big mistake). I finished my beer and we ran stoplight to stoplight for about a mile in uptown Dallas. GODAM weelhop! I dont know how skilled of a diver he was, but whomever got the jump at the light won (we split 50/50). He was running an '06 Maserati GranSport. It sounded amazing...if we could grip a little better during launching we could actually put up the 4.6 0-60 that Cadillac claims.
Turns out his car does 0-60 in 4.9...but it is a legit 4.9.
After I took him on the last light he ran the red and took off...oh well.
Just thought I'd share...

theloanman219
05-26-07, 08:35 AM
I finished my beer and we ran stoplight to stoplight for about a mile in uptown Dallas.

Well this time the trip included no adult female entertainers! But come on with the illegals you have already. Dude I would hate for you to go to jail for drinking and driving after a 140+ mph road trip that went bad.! :thepan: Your a great guy and I would hate for the next post to be im dead or in jail.

Just giving you a hard time. Im sure you only had one Right? and left the bar. :alchi:

Gene

rand49er
05-26-07, 08:56 AM
... I would hate for the next post to be im dead ...Now, that's what I would call a good ISP!

whisler151
05-26-07, 11:27 AM
Well this time the trip included no adult female entertainers! But come on with the illegals you have already. Dude I would hate for you to go to jail for drinking and driving after a 140+ mph road trip that went bad.! :thepan: Your a great guy and I would hate for the next post to be im dead or in jail.

Just giving you a hard time. Im sure you only had one Right? and left the bar. :alchi:

Gene

Luckily I had just gotten there...only one beer. No drinking and driving in the V...especially in Texas