: Max Tire Size w/stock rims & ride height?

ctsvwannabe
05-23-07, 01:22 PM
To All,

I know that this has been discussed at length - I searched and didn't find a conclusive answer. I'm getting ready to replace the F1s on my V with Michelin PS2s. I would like to go with a wider tire than the stock 245/45s. I don't want the hassle of having different sizes on the rear vs the front as I plan to regularly rotate all four tires. Has anyone mounted Michelin PS2 275/40s on stock rims with a V at stock ride height (not lowered)? Did you have any interference/rub issues? Did the car's handling deteriorate? A previous thread indicated that the PS2s run "small" (not as wide as other manufacturers tires of like size). The 275/40s are very comparable in circumference to the stock 245/45s so they look like a good choice if there are no interference issues.

Thanks for your input!

ctsvwannabe

rlj5
05-23-07, 02:03 PM
[quote=ctsvwannabe;1092171]To All,

I know that this has been discussed at length - I searched and didn't find a conclusive answer. I'm getting ready to replace the F1s on my V with Michelin PS2s. I would like to go with a wider tire than the stock 245/45s. I don't want the hassle of having different sizes on the rear vs the front as I plan to regularly rotate all four tires. Has anyone mounted Michelin PS2 275/40s on stock rims with a V at stock ride height (not lowered)? Did you have any interference/rub issues? Did the car's handling deteriorate? A previous thread indicated that the PS2s run "small" (not as wide as other manufacturers tires of like size). The 275/40s are very comparable in circumference to the stock 245/45s so they look like a good choice if there are no interference issues.

Thanks for your input!

don't think there is anyway you can get 275 on the front. I have 255/40/18 fronts & 275/40/18 rears (goodyear gs-d3's) on stock rims & the front 255's just barely & I mean barely clear. There is no way the 275/40's would work on the front

Luna.
05-23-07, 03:20 PM
If you want to rotate, go with 255s all the way around. Not only are they okay to use on a 8.5" rim, they can be used in the front or rear without any hassles.

If you wanted to go 275s front/rear, not only would you have to probably add a flare kit and push the front wheel out, you would also wnat to widen the rims to at least 9" for the 275.

I'm well aware that one *can* run 275s on an 8.5" rim (I'm currently doing it), but even with the stiffness of runflat tires, they still "rollover" the rim awfully bad, which gives me a horrible feeling of control. In other words, with 255s all the way around (Falkens), the car was very, very predictable and solid, even when doing, say slalom manuevers. With 245s in the front and 275s in the rear (on the stock rims), however, the car is far more difficult to handle, especially at speed (I'm not talking about throwing the car around a corner--the car is probably more tossable now with the "rollover" effect), The car has to wait for the rear-end to catch up and then you are constantly worrying about correcting any potential catch-up problems. I definitely will NOT be mounting 275s on 8.5" rims anymore. Keep in mind, this is because it doesn't match my driving style. Others might actually like it (although, to be honest, I can't understand why...).

Unless you are 450+ RWHP/RWTQ, and you need the extra meat on the rears, don't waste your time with 275s in the rear. The 255s will be plenty

thebigjimsho
05-23-07, 06:01 PM
If you want to rotate, go with 255s all the way around. Not only are they okay to use on a 8.5" rim, they can be used in the front or rear without any hassles.

If you wanted to go 275s front/rear, not only would you have to probably add a flare kit and push the front wheel out, you would also wnat to widen the rims to at least 9" for the 275.

I'm well aware that one *can* run 275s on an 8.5" rim (I'm currently doing it), but even with the stiffness of runflat tires, they still "rollover" the rim awfully bad, which gives me a horrible feeling of control. In other words, with 255s all the way around (Falkens), the car was very, very predictable and solid, even when doing, say slalom manuevers. With 245s in the front and 275s in the rear (on the stock rims), however, the car is far more difficult to handle, especially at speed (I'm not talking about throwing the car around a corner--the car is probably more tossable now with the "rollover" effect), The car has to wait for the rear-end to catch up and then you are constantly worrying about correcting any potential catch-up problems. I definitely will NOT be mounting 275s on 8.5" rims anymore. Keep in mind, this is because it doesn't match my driving style. Others might actually like it (although, to be honest, I can't understand why...).

Unless you are 450+ RWHP/RWTQ, and you need the extra meat on the rears, don't waste your time with 275s in the rear. The 255s will be plentyI've talked against mismatched tires on matched rims and having tires too wide for our rims. Now you don't have to believe me, believe Luna...