: Vent Tube For Rear Replaced Today. Tsb?

ctsvflorida
05-22-07, 06:02 PM
So, getting for my drive to NY soon and figured to check the rear for oil spray or leaks! My garage floor just had very small spots but I wasn't sure if they were from last time or what! We get up on the lift and the seal is fine to my surprise because it was spraying around a little at 100 miles! Well, that stopped, but the rear was leaking somewhere and the dealer said it was the vent tube and that they had a notice to change all vent tubes from 2003-2007. Has anyone else heard of this? Anyway, it is now supposedly fixed and I should be ok to make my last Tampa drive (200 mi. round trip) and then to LI, NY (1000mi.). How and why would the vent tube leak?

BTW: My stripper girlfriend is doing the drives with me! LMAO

ahahnu
05-22-07, 06:20 PM
Stripper g/f. lol. When are you coming up? I did the trip not too long ago and it was 3000 round trip. Loved everyminute, and drove nonstop both ways. Holler back!

LV_V
05-22-07, 06:23 PM
Hey, its starting to sound like whisler's post! Don't even think about doing 145 in a 75 HAHAHA :thepan:

ctsvflorida
05-22-07, 06:26 PM
Stripper g/f. lol. When are you coming up? I did the trip not too long ago and it was 3000 round trip. Loved everyminute, and drove nonstop both ways. Holler back!

Mike, I didn't know you were in Jersey! I'll definitely see you as I will meet Tom (Trazznj) once or twice over the summer. I met him before at the Gator Nationals, cool guy! I'll be up there on the 1st of June and staying for at least 3 months, maybe more!

ronr
05-22-07, 06:27 PM
I had mine replaced last week after noticing lube sprayed up onto the back of the trunk lid at the end of a long road trip. Before taking it in I had to add nearly a quart of diff lube. My dealer said they're changing a lot of these on CTS's and V's but '06 and later diffs only.

I think it actually did damage to my diff since now when I take a very slow speed tight turn (like pulling into a parking space) there is a very loud rubbing noise (I'm assuming the limited slip) coming from the back.

She's going back in to the dealer on Thursday :(

ctsvflorida
05-22-07, 06:28 PM
Hey, its starting to sound like whisler's post! Don't even think about doing 145 in a 75 HAHAHA :thepan:

I'm half way there! :bouncy: Don't think I'll go 145mph though...unless someone temps me! :thepan:

TONY: and she's a stripper...not a hooker! :alchi:

ahahnu
05-22-07, 07:14 PM
Yeah we were trading messages on two places. I'm meeting Trazz real soon I think. Ihave tons of lube underneath the car, on the garage, but never where I park at work. I only use two spaces, and never see it. I just had my Kars adjusted and you can see little droplets on the two bolts. IMO its just a whole pos (the rear). See you soon. Have a safe trip.

ctsvflorida
05-22-07, 07:26 PM
Yeah we were trading messages on two places. I'm meeting Trazz real soon I think. Ihave tons of lube underneath the car, on the garage, but never where I park at work. I only use two spaces, and never see it. I just had my Kars adjusted and you can see little droplets on the two bolts. IMO its just a whole pos (the rear). See you soon. Have a safe trip.

Yeah, the drips are so light that you can hardly see them but it is leaking! You have to look pretty close to see the drips in my garage and that is why I couldn't tell if the drips were old or new. After closer inspection, I can see that they do look more fresh than the others! I can guarantee you that your vent tube is where the oil is coming from. Chech your rear bumber, all the way underneath, and there should be residue there where the bumper is painted under the car! I'll be in touch and I'll get your number when I get to NY! Later

DmaxSierra
05-23-07, 11:26 PM
Hey CTSvflorida....I actually just got my V back yesterday. It looked like my driver's side seal was leaking, turned out dealer said vent tube was "clogged" so they changed it out with a new Vent kit. Seems to be okay..but it's only been 30 miles. Oh yeah, they also dropped the exhaust to fix the rear and now it rattles like crazy:thepan: Luckily, I'm installing my Magnaflow this weekend!!

P.S. I'm also in NY...where abouts are you heading?? Always look forward to meeting fellow V owners:)

ctsvflorida
05-24-07, 07:43 AM
Hey CTSvflorida....I actually just got my V back yesterday. It looked like my driver's side seal was leaking, turned out dealer said vent tube was "clogged" so they changed it out with a new Vent kit. Seems to be okay..but it's only been 30 miles. Oh yeah, they also dropped the exhaust to fix the rear and now it rattles like crazy:thepan: Luckily, I'm installing my Magnaflow this weekend!!

P.S. I'm also in NY...where abouts are you heading?? Always look forward to meeting fellow V owners:)

I'll be in Humtington, LI. I'll be at Captree on the Sunday's that I am not too hungover, which isn't many! LOL Actually, I'll just go most of the time with my hangover! I'm sure I'll bring my stripper with me a couple of times! LMAO

The Tony Show
05-24-07, 09:47 AM
I've been saying forever that the problem with these "gradual" rear end failures (as opposed to the ones that just shatter from clutch bombs) is the fluid blowing out the top vent when it heats up, therefore causing a low level and rear diff damage. People told me I was crazy.

A few months back, lo and behold, GM comes out with a bulletin instructing dealers to attach a hose to the vent and run it up into the chassis and secure it so the fluid can rise without leaking out.

I'd love to go back and find the usernames of the people who told me I was wrong and send them a PM that says :osnap:

theloanman219
05-24-07, 10:01 AM
So, getting for my drive to NY soon and figured to check the rear for oil spray or leaks! My garage floor just had very small spots but I wasn't sure if they were from last time or what! We get up on the lift and the seal is fine to my surprise because it was spraying around a little at 100 miles! Well, that stopped, but the rear was leaking somewhere and the dealer said it was the vent tube and that they had a notice to change all vent tubes from 2003-2007. Has anyone else heard of this? Anyway, it is now supposedly fixed and I should be ok to make my last Tampa drive (200 mi. round trip) and then to LI, NY (1000mi.). How and why would the vent tube leak?

Yeah B. I had mine done. It was on the lift one day getting my oil changed. I was walking around checkin things out and noticed some moisture. Brought it directly to the dealer and they found the same thing. Not a bid deal. I don't know why it leaked but they said that they just extending it. But I never had any spots on the garage floor come to think of it.

theloanman219
05-24-07, 10:05 AM
People told me I was crazy. :lolsign:

ahahnu
05-24-07, 11:31 AM
Refering to Tony's last reply, about a year and a half to two years ago, I brought mine to the service department for a small liquid mark in my garage. They told me that liquid heats up and expands, the excess just comes out the top. It's still a whiney still a hunk of trash. When I was having my Kars adjusted the other day, the guy said I had a leak. I pointed to the whole rear, the only explination I could muster was POS!