: Black rubber "accordian" in clutch reservoir

The Tony Show
05-22-07, 12:28 PM
Dumb question, but does everyone else here have a weird black rubber "accordian" in their clutch reservoir?

I ask for four reasons:

1- It takes up 80% of the reservoir, so I'm only able to put a shot glass of fluid in there or it will overflow when I reinsert the accordian thingy.

2- Every car I've ever owned has been Manual shift, and I've never seen one of these things.

3- It's imposible to check my clutch fluid without taking the cap off since that stupid thing prevents light from shining through the reservoir.

4- It looks so much like something that would be put in there for shipping purposes only (to keep air out of the clutch or something), and is to be removed by the dealer during the PDI process.

If a few of you could chime in I'd appreciate it. I've considered just pulling it out like every other car I've had, but I don't want to do something stupid (today).

Thanks in advance.

05_CTS-V
05-22-07, 12:36 PM
I just purchased a preowned 05 CTS-V about two weeks ago with 17K miles and my car still has the accordian in it as well. I am guessing it is acting as a seal for the cap so that the system can pressurize. I remember seeing a similar type of deal on my 78 Z28 master cylinder cover.

urbanski
05-22-07, 12:53 PM
yup..

50 4Ever
05-22-07, 01:10 PM
As far as I know all brake and clutch reservoirs have these. The main purpose is to keep the outside air out of the reservoir since it absorbs moisture rapidly. Since the way brakes and clutches work is when you wear off material the fluid level in the reservoir goes dowm. If the system was completely sealed this would create a vacumn in the reservoir which would not let the fluid go down properly. Hence the rubber thingy that goes down with the fluid.

One word of warning: if you keep adding fluid when it gets low, when the brake pads are replaced the calipers are forced back to allow for the new material which could cause the reservoir to overflow which is a bad thing.

:thumbsup:

The Tony Show
05-22-07, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. Believe it or not, I'm a converted slimeball import driver, and none of those had this thing in the reservoirs. I wasn't sure if it was an American car thing, a CTS-V thing or if someone just forgot to take it out when they PDI'd the car. Since we don't have any CTS-Vs sitting on the lot right now I couldn't check one of those, either.

Thanks again- looks like it's supposed to be there so I'll leave it alone.

DILLIGAF
05-22-07, 06:07 PM
Your resevoir probably says gaf backwords on it.

STAGEUP
05-22-07, 06:59 PM
The 04-06 GTOs have the same "***" resevoirs that our CTS-Vs use. Only difference is that the GTO cap doesnt have the accordian rubber thing. Ours does for some reason.

tedcmiller
05-23-07, 10:10 AM
Do not remove the "accordian." It is standard and is there for a reason. It compresses when the hydraulic clutch is activated, and allows the fluid level to drop when the clutch material wears without the system being open to the air.

One word of warning: if you keep adding fluid when it gets low, when the brake pads are replaced the calipers are forced back to allow for the new material which could cause the reservoir to overflow which is a bad thing.

The preceding quote is inaccurate since the CTS-V (unlike the the CTS) has a separate clutch hydraulic system from the brakes. However, the same principal applies - if you add fluid to compensate for a fluid level decrease due to material wear, replacing the material will cause the fluid level to rise, possibly overflowing the reservoir.

50 4Ever
05-23-07, 12:12 PM

The preceding quote is inaccurate since the CTS-V (unlike the the CTS) has a separate clutch hydraulic system from the brakes. However, the same principal applies - if you add fluid to compensate for a fluid level decrease due to material wear, replacing the material will cause the fluid level to rise, possibly overflowing the reservoir.

I was talking about adding fluid to the brake reservoir, sorry I wasn't clear. :bigroll: