: PCV Valve location?

Ricco
04-03-04, 09:57 AM
My Dad has a '96 Deville with the 32v Northstar engine. He recent bought some maintenance parts. We could not find the pcv valve on the engine? I removed the plastic cover off of the valve covers and head and just couldn't find it. There is an ventilation elbow near the oil fill but it it not the pcv valve. Anyway, sorry if this is a stupid question. The engines in these newer cars are getting harder and harder to make sense of anymore. Any help or photos of where it is would be appreciated.

growe3
04-03-04, 10:49 AM
I think all of the Northstars have the PCV in the same location.

It is located on the right cam cover, at the end towards the drivers side of the car. It has a short 5/16" neoprene hose attached to it. See attached image.

Lawrence
04-03-04, 11:10 AM
I think all of the Northstars have the PCV in the same location.

It is located on the right cam cover, at the end towards the drivers side of the car. It has a short 5/16" neoprene hose attached to it. See attached image.

Interesting. Mine is on that rear valve cover, but on the pass end.

growe3
04-03-04, 12:04 PM
Interesting. Mine is on that rear valve cover, but on the pass end.
Hi Lawrence,
The tube that you note is not the PCV location. That is the Fresh Air Tube that allows air, that has come through the air filter, to flow through the engine to eventually go through the PCV; which located on the opposite cam cover at the drivers side end. See image below

Did you get your engine back together yet?

Lawrence
04-03-04, 12:46 PM
Hi Lawrence,
The tube that you note is not the PCV location. That is the Fresh Air Tube that allows air, that has come through the air filter, to flow through the engine to eventually go through the PCV; which located on the opposite cam cover at the drivers side end. See image below

Hey George,

On mine the PVC is at the pass end of the rear valve cover, not the front (left) one as your pic. My fresh air tube is the same as yours. But the PVC is on the rear pass side with a "long" plastic tube to the TB. The PCV valve itself is down below the coil pack.

But Ricco, you'll find it one of the two places. Mine looks just like Growes, just at the pass side. Easy to remove, just pulls out by hand.

Did you get your engine back together yet?

That a long story. Yes and no. I had it in and running perfect. But pulled it again for another oil leak. I made the mistake of not doing the LCC, rear main, oil manifold the first time and sure enough the damn thing still leaked. Both the LCC joint and oil manifold were leaking.

Kind of the same story as the head gasket leak. When I first started it up I let it come up to operating temp and another 20 min. Shut down to check fluids, etc. And found the oil pan had "drips" on it. What an awfull feeling. I tried to be postive and thought maybe it was just some oil from assembly or something. Cleaned it off dry, ran it an hour or so on the stands, no leak. Dismissed it as assembly oil. Put it on the road and a couple days later looked under there, very wet with "drippys" hanging down. Never seemed to hit the ground, but must have beenon the road as it was blowing back onto the trans and "mud flaps".

So I put it back up on the stands, cleaned up, and nothing dry as a bone. Ran it 3 hours on the stands, drove it 35 miles. Nothing. Remebering the head gasket, I decide to leave it up till morning and check it cold. On a cold start within the first 2 or 3 mins it was leaking. After that first 2 or 3 mins, not a drop. Not even a wet spot. Same as head gasket, cold leak. It was coming from the oil manifold, with the LLC a contributing factor.

All 3 leaks, the HG, oil manifold, and LLC were leaking to the same spot. RR corner of oil pan where the crossover pipe mounts. I have the oil manifold in front of me right now, the seals are severely shrunken. Its been off over a week now and you could lay a straight edge over the seal lip without touching it, almost. The seal is intregal to the manifold. I posted a question on the new one as it is different than the "original" here, http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10143. Not sure what to do with it. I was hoping to assemble and have going again this weekend.

I didn't want to break the lower end the first time, as I would rather have it as original as possible. I was afraid of "disturbing" the bearings. And it cost me. Now that its apart, its really not a big deal and wish I'd wouldn't have hesitated to do it before. I'm sure it can be re-assembled no worse for wear.

This time around it's getting ALL the seals, and plenty of liquid insurance, lol.

growe3
04-03-04, 02:58 PM
Hey George,

On mine the PVC is at the pass end of the rear valve cover, not the front (left) one as your pic. My fresh air tube is the same as yours. But the PVC is on the rear pass side with a "long" plastic tube to the TB. The PCV valve itself is down below the coil pack.
That seems strange, I have attached a couple of pictures of my other 93' STS that I am replacing head gaskets on now. Please take a look at them and let me know if we are talking about the same location or not. I am curious it dosen't look like the PCV can be swapped to the other end of this cover, note position of baffle inside the cover.

....That a long story. Yes and no. I had it in and running perfect. But pulled it again for another oil leak. I made the mistake of not doing the LCC, rear main, oil manifold the first time and sure enough the damn thing still leaked. Both the LCC joint and oil manifold were leaking.

All 3 leaks, the HG, oil manifold, and LLC were leaking to the same spot. RR corner of oil pan where the crossover pipe mounts. I have the oil manifold in front of me right now, the seals are severely shrunken. Its been off over a week now and you could lay a straight edge over the seal lip without touching it, almost. The seal is intregal to the manifold. I posted a question on the new one as it is different than the "original" here,....
Have you tried a direct PM to bbobynski (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=6666) regarding the LCC seal? I am wondering if you got a hold of an oddball, export, or other engine.

I decided to not split the case on my first STS after fixing the headgaskets. The LCC leak was a very slow seep. I cleaned the split area very carefully with paint thinner, then sprayed it liberally with spray brake cleaner. When it was throughly dry about ten minutes and no odor, I applied gray hi-temp silicone sealer along the split on both sides. No leaks yet after 18,000 miles.

-George

Lawrence
04-03-04, 03:11 PM
That seems strange, I have attached a couple of pictures of my other 93' STS that I am replacing head gaskets on now. Please take a look at them and let me know if we are talking about the same location or not. I am curious it dosen't look like the PCV can be swapped to the other end of this cover, note position of baffle inside the cover.

Can't get a pic of mine, but the baffle is in the other end. Below is a pic of the outside, of course it's a bit contored at the time. :)

Have you tried a direct PM to bbobynski (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=6666) regarding the LCC seal? I am wondering if you got a hold of an oddball, export, or other engine.

No, I was hoping he'd visit the forum. Never tried the PM feature.

I decided to not split the case on my first STS after fixing the headgaskets. The LCC leak was a very slow seep. I cleaned the split area very carefully with paint thinner, then sprayed it liberally with spray brake cleaner. When it was throughly dry about ten minutes and no odor, I applied gray hi-temp silicone sealer along the split on both sides. No leaks yet after 18,000 miles.

-George

Thats good! In my case, it was the oil manifold that was most the problem, well, second after the head gasket. WEW!

growe3
04-03-04, 03:50 PM
Yep that is difinitely a different cam cover. Well good luck on your "final" leak repair.

I'm off to a BBQ:) , my nephew is joined the USAF and will be heading to boot camp in a couple of days.

-George

Aurora40
04-03-04, 05:08 PM
Just an FYI, but usually the PCV location will be shown on the Vehicle Emissions Control Information sticker in the engine bay. :)

El Dobro
04-03-04, 05:37 PM
From what I've seen, all N* have the PCV valve in the rearward valve cover. The early ones are on the driver's side, near the brake booster. If it's not there, then it will be on top of the rear valve cover, on the passenger side. And, if you've ever wondered where the engine firing order is cast, it's right next to the PCV valve.

Ricco
04-04-04, 07:40 PM
I'd like to thank all of you for your information. I will print out this thread and take it with me when I go back over my Dad's. He doesn't have a computer and says that he doesn't need the internet. I think that this proves the internets worth. Especially when you can find so much helpful information from so many nice and courteous people. I don't own a Cadillac, but I own a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Is there a similar site for those with helpful information? Thanks again to everyone.

Rambo
04-04-04, 11:31 PM
I'd like to thank all of you for your information. I will print out this thread and take it with me when I go back over my Dad's. He doesn't have a computer and says that he doesn't need the internet. I think that this proves the internets worth. Especially when you can find so much helpful information from so many nice and courteous people. I don't own a Cadillac, but I own a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Is there a similar site for those with helpful information? Thanks again to everyone.

There is an all Jeep forum at www.jeepsunlimited.com , I don't know anything about how good it is though.