Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Benzilla 
#1 ·
Heard mixed things about the 4100, some people say to stay away, others say it's just a matter of maintenance.

Anyhoo, I found a solid 1983 with 90,000 orig miles.

Original owner was his neighbor, gave it to son when he turned 90 and didn't drive it a whole lot. Even so, the back bumper has a rust hole, but doesn't look in crap shape. Some small bits of surface rust, but otherwise solid. Vinyl top in pretty good condition, no cracks, just a bit of wear and could use a good shining. The drivers door seems to sag a bit, opening it and closing it, the hinges seemed "off." Not sure what kind of job is required for that.

Tranny from an 86 Olds was thrown in to replace the old tranny, hard shift between 1st and 2nd. I think my buddy still has my tranny from the 1987 Brougham I used to have.

Other than that, new tires (no whitewalls), new brakes, new battery, new alternator. Rad probably needs changing. The guy had it rust proofed so there are drilled holes, I hate that!

I'm going to see how much for a new rad. new weather stripping and other work will cost. I'd probably only be able to offer something like $1300. I have all summer to look for something that's maybe in better shape.

There's a 1977 Coupe that seems in very good condition, but, even though gas prices don't scare me that much, that 6.0L would put a dent in my wallet for the 7 months of commuting I'll have to do for school. Could probably get it for $1700, which would make the difference of gas for the 7 months I guess.

Would like to hear opinions on the best coupe to buy, or if I should just get a nice later 80s sedan. I have a 1992 Brougham in mint condition that I want to keep mint, so a different style car would be nice. Perferably similar gas consumption than my 5.7, which shouldn't be too hard.

See less See more
#2 ·
Go with the '77 coupe, unless it's a total POS. the 425 (which is a 7.0 liter by the way) is a much better engine in every way, and there isn't a marked difference in fuel consumption. Having owned both, the 1977-1979's are better cars than the '80s cads.

G
#4 ·
I agree with what the last two posters said... the 77-79 425 is a much better engine than the 4100. Why do you think the car has radiator issues? If you do, that's another reason to steer clear of the 4100. If it ever got hotter than it was designed to, that increases the likelihood that it'll give you trouble. Plus, with the hole in the rear bumper, there is probably rust starting elsewhere. Then the transmission... unless there was something really special about this car, I'd look for a nicer one and try to get this one for parts, or swap a 77-79 425/TH400.

#5 ·
Despite the improved exterior design on the '83, I'd go with the 77 because of the prior mentioned reasons.

#7 ·
Thanks for everyone's replies, you all have me convinced. I'm going to search for a 77-79 Coupe. I like the grill with the squares versus rectagles but I have the grill of my dad's old 79 Sedan so that could work. Or I could just wait to find a nice '79. The '77 might have been scooped up, but we'll see. It's grey/silver (unsure which) with blue interior and looks in quite good shape. Hopefully I can take a look at her and make an offer.

What price ranges should I expect top pay for something in good-great condition?

The guy is asking $2300 and as I mentioned, it's pretty low miles and the pictures I've seen look good. Seems like a very solid car, but I'd have to check if the door sags and see how she runs.

Thanks again in advance.

#8 ·
$2300 sounds good, I'm selling my '83 with 49,000 miles for $3000. It's a very solid car, everything's tight. So that should give you an idea.

#9 ·
With the 77-79 CDV, even the very best one in the whole wide world shouldn't fetch more than $7000, and that would have to be a time capsule car that spent the last 30 years in total isolation. A very good one with average miles should run between $2000 and $3000. Be careful with the silver/grey paint from this period. They are metallic colors with lots of metal flake in them and they tend to deteriorate very quickly, especially if left exposed to UV light a lot.

Craig

#10 ·
Thanks guys! I've been looking at 77-79 Coupes and I love the 80s Coupes so much more. Like I~LUV~Caddys8792 said, it's a nicer exterior design. Unless I find an 80 coupe which I believe has the 6.0, I'll probably go with a 77-79 Sedan DeVille. The sedans of the late 70s look much nicer than the Coupes in my humble opinion. I had a '79 before someone T-boned me and loved it. Maybe it's time to go back to my roots with the first Caddie my dad bought. I have till winter to find one.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Thanks Benzilla, but it would be a shame to use your Coupe as a winter car. Also, after jumping through hoops to export my California car last year, I'm not keen to go through all that again.

Thanks very much for giving me the link though! It's a gorgeous Caddie!!!

#13 ·
Okay, I totally understand after shipping my '79 here from Cali. I wouldn't do that for just any car either. Just thought I'd let you know about it. :)

#15 ·
88 Brougham bought!!!

Well, I found an '88 Brougham, Black with grey D'elegance interior, moonroof, Factory wire spoke wheels and what seems like verey option, like electronic mirrors, electronic rearview mirror (not like my 92 that dims, this one tilts up and down,never saw anything like it before, I don't even know how to use it. Separate post with more info and pictures as soon as I get it passed, cleaned and polished. And the nasty mothball smell from the interior. I'm allergic to mothballs, so I'm dying to get it out. Any suggestions?

Thanks to everyone in helping me decide what I wanted as my "winter beater."

#16 ·
Congrats!

Moth balls; try using Meguiars interior odor eliminator. It comes in a clear yellow bottle and should work great. Just spray on the carpet.

Sounds like a great ride, very mob. Post pics ASAP!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.